By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Angelus said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Like WiiU Mii Plaza?

Maybe? Idk. Never owned a Wii, and only ever played like Wii Sports on it with my brother who owned one. 

I've seen this post quoted a couple times now and people mentioning it's like so and so, to which my response is sure...if somebody else has already laid the ground work, go ahead and copy it, and hopefully improve upon it.

It seems like all the responses are highlighting the examples of when it didn't work and was scrapped in follow up products. Actually, it doesn't seem like this feature would be popular nowadays. And considering that MS is most likely a bit under-staffed when it comes to Xbox dashboard development, they'd better not waste their resources on this.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Angelus said:

Maybe? Idk. Never owned a Wii, and only ever played like Wii Sports on it with my brother who owned one. 

I've seen this post quoted a couple times now and people mentioning it's like so and so, to which my response is sure...if somebody else has already laid the ground work, go ahead and copy it, and hopefully improve upon it.

It seems like all the responses are highlighting the examples of when it didn't work and was scrapped in follow up products. Actually, it doesn't seem like this feature would be popular nowadays. And considering that MS is most likely a bit under-staffed when it comes to Xbox dashboard development, they'd better not waste their resources on this.

Ah, ok lol

Well it was just a thought, if there's no market for it then so be it.

trunkswd said:
WoodenPints said:

Since no one else has done so yet I'll insert the generic "Microsoft buying Dontnod confirmed" comment.

It wouldn't be a bad acquisition. Not my kind of games, but people enjoy those story driven games with very little gameplay. 

What Microsoft really needs to do is make a big splash and acquire a bigger studio. While Microsoft has acquired small to medium large studios, Sony went and acquired one AAA studio, Insomniac. 

I think if they do, they should go for something big. What's a big, "killer app making" studio they could reasonably buy? 

inb4 Bethesda

If it were up to me, I'd gobble up Tecmo and pry them off Koei's grubby mits. Alternatively, buy Namco off Bandai, since Bandai is the biggest POS that has happened to Namco since forever. 

If neither, then the only option would be buying EA or CDP, but CDP would sooner throw the towel than fold and I doubt EA can offer much. 

shikamaru317 said:
If MS were to buy one of the episodic studios, I would rather they acquire the revived Telltale that is working on Wolf Among Us season 2 currently. Not a big fan of Dontnod, LiS was kind of meh, and I've heard that their games since then have been even worse. Doesn't help that they're kind of SJW, which is just not for me.

Since I dig VNs, I kind of enjoy immersing myself in some of their games. I do agree though they are a bit SJWish now and I think MS should, if anything, do what they did on the 360 era with Japanese games - not censor anything and release even the weird stuff even if it doesn't sell that well. It would get them far from Sony and its SJWsation. 

It's also kind of why I was pissed Arc System Works refused to port the game featuring RWBY, owned by a company whose flagship other than the show itself product originated from Microsoft, on the system, but they added everything else. 

My biggest fear, however, is Otomate looking in our direction before Sekai Games or another Galge publisher does, which is why I'm monumentally keen on MS not getting too comfy with Dontnod and avoiding the attention of weird studios for now. 

shikamaru317 said:

As for the larger independent developers, most of these are private companies, so you have no idea what they would be cost MS to acquire:

• Techland (acquisition already shot down)
  • Crytek
  • Sumo Digital: $344m market cap
  • Certain Affinity (partially owned by Leyou, could be expensive to get that 20% share from Leyou)
  • Remedy
  • People Can Fly
  • Gearbox (would likely be over $1b, as Take-Two would very likely end up in a bidding war with MS, since Take-Two subsidiary 2K publishes most of Gearbox's games, inclouding the very profitable Borderlands series)
  • Codemasters: $573m market cap

Any others I'm missing, as far as indie AAA capable studios go? Splash Damage is no longer independent, Leyou fully acquired them a few years ago.

Remedy can be removed from this list as Epic recently invested a ton into them to publish their games on multiple platforms. They don't have a reason to be bought out as they have Epic's money now.

Speaking of Crytek, you guys should check out Hunt: Showdown during these free play days this weekend. It's a really cool game. Well worth the 20some bucks it's on sale for atm.

Around the Network

CDPR is probably the Tesla of the video games industry. Incredibly overvalued.

Rainbow Six Siege alone generated $1.1bn until May 2019 and therefore made probably more money than The Witcher 3 where only 9m out of 28m copies were sold in its release year. DLC sales are obviously much lower (and in some part already included in the GOTY edition).
The Division 1 probably came close as well.

I'm at a point where I, once more, have no idea what to play. I've been using the past months to finish some games I've owned for years and I got to say I feel quite good whenever I'm done with one of them. Mafia 3, Doom, Middle-Earth, Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn and Gears Ultimate come to my mind.

Maybe you can help me decide what to play next. Here are the contenders and why I never finished them:

1. Alien Isolation: Not a fan of horror games where all you can do is run away and hope you can get by undetected. TBH I wouldn't play it even when recommended.

2. Dead Rising 3: One of my first games on X1 AFAIR. Never played a DR game for more than a few hours and this wasn't any different in that regard. No reason why I stopped playing, I just never continued.

3. Destiny: Good gameplay, good graphics. Just didn't hook me and I'm no fan of MP with randoms.

4. Dishonored 1: I'd much rather play current gen games instead of remasters. Again didn't hook me within the first two hours or so.

5. Dishonored 2: I usually like stealth games, so I'm not sure why I can't really get into this series. Not bad at all but had no desire of playing further.

6. Dying Light: Thought it would be like Dead Island but nope. Game is all about running away from Zombies instead of fighting them and if you do I haven't even seen a firearm in almost 4 hours of playtime. Definitely won't give this game a third chance.

7. Fallout 4: This is a little pathetic considering Fallout 3 was my GotG last gen. Played it for almost 6 hours but somehow it hasn't clicked. The areas I'm wandering don't feel like I'm supposed to be there yet. I guess I feel like someone who played Fallout 3 and never visited Megaton. I was also a little pissed when I read that Bethesda removed some mods, even when you've already downloaded them.

8. Final Fantasy XV: I don't get the battle system. I'm mashing random buttons and while that works in Kingdom Hearts III, at one point in this game I kept dying AFAIR and I don't really know how to improve. Visually a very nice looking game though so I'd consider playing it again. Although I'd much rather like to play games in the 10-20 hours range.

9. Mad Max: Gave this one a second chance and while it's a decent game, I don't think I will continue playing it. It's a bit like Rage 2 just with much less action. I feel like I have better options.

10. Metal Gear Solid V: Actually played it for 8 hours, which suprised me quite a bit. Not fond of the open world aspect of the game and I never considered the gameplay to be the best part of the MGS franchise. I wanted to get to the part where I meet Quite for obvious reasons but didn't make it there.

11. Prey: Played for about two hours and it left a good impression. I was kinda annoyed by the shapeshifters and I remember it being rather hard. Also the game has tons of missables, so I'd need to play it with a guide which turns me a little off. A shame honestly.

12. Resident Evil 7: Actually started this one recently! There are some scenes where I have to evade invincible enemies. As I mentioned before, I hate parts like that.

13. Shadow Warrior: Fun game that didn't age well visually. A bit too arcadey for my taste which is probably why I stopped playing after two levels or so.

14. Sunset Overdrive: Already gave it two chances. Both times I wasn't having much fun. Game is all about moving and getting killing sprees and when that happens it can be fun but for the most part I couldn't pull it off and from what I remember the level design wasn't really well done in that aspect.

15. The Evil Within: Finished the second game but never even touched this even though it's really one of the first game I ever owned on X1. Not the biggest fan of survival horror games soooo meh.

16. The Witcher 3: Played it for 11 hours but I always had to force myself to play a little more. I'm just not a fan of the combat, which I already noticed in The Witcher 2. Visually and story wise it's definitely great though. But I do feel kinda lost in this game.

17. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands: Bought it because it was cheap. Haven't even started it yet. Not too much of a Ghost Recon fan but I've played a few in the past.

18. Wasteland 2: Visually poor and the turn based combat was way more fun in XCOM. Feels like a last gen game even though it has been released in 2014/15. I'm very excited for Wasteland 3 though as that seems much more modern.

19. XCOM 2: 25 hours of playtime but one day I just stopped. I think I did the same with the first game. Game is getting too hard and I would constantly lose a team member and if there's something I don't like is losing a team member and having to replace them with a total noob. Only option: saving and loading until the outcome is perfect. Not much fun...

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Barozi - on 30 May 2020

Above

Alien Isolation. Really captured the feeling of being trapped with a alien that could turn up at any moment. AI of the alien is really believable and constantly makes you aware of your noise and choice of hiding spots.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Sounds like you want to play Prey but are put off by an annoying achievement list, I'd say go for it!

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:
In related news, it is mind boggling to me that CD Projekt, a developer that owns just 2 IP's (admittedly 2 very popular IPs) and has about 1,200 employees, is worth more than Ubisoft, a publisher who owns dozens of IP's (many of which are popular) and has 16,000 employees. Either GOG is doing a hell of alot better against Steam and Epic Games Store than I thought, or CD Projekt is just really good at playing the game of increasing their own stock value.

Actually debated this recently, it makes zero sense, as much as I love Witcher 3, CDPR is massively overvalued and it is going to hurt them, there is absolutely no way they should be more valuable than Ubisoft, it sure as hell isn't GOG as that has had financial difficulties recently.

Their value Imo, as much as I like them, is based on nothing but overhype and I worry it is going to hurt them when Cyberpunk doesn't turn out to be the next GTA which is what it feels like that value is expecting.

Also those IPs are licensed, not owned, which would devalue it slightly too.

They are actually massively over-valuated. You can even see when this started, the Netflix show :)

7 months ago, the stock was at 25% of the current value. Which is probably what they are worth, a quarter of Ubisoft.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/stocks/cd_projekt_red-stock

This is a bubble and for sure it will go down before the end of the year. I hope they manage it knowing that and use this as an opportunity to grow or it can be catastrophic for the company.