By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
WoodenPints said:

It's only come to NA which is another thing by SEGA to add to their list of dumb business decisions.

Wtf

Fuck Sega, acquire them Microsoft!

Yeah you wouldn't believe the lengths I had to go through to give them $60 for the Sonic Edition of the game and I imagine I'm in the very few who could be bothered to do it to get past all the regional restrictions on the game which is anything outside of USA and Canada.

It's like been back in 2000 again signing up to Korean sites and figuring out a Social Security ID and address to get into the MMO's before they made their way over to the west.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:
I do like the sound of that Perfect Dark concept. Having your missions cross paths with other agents who are there on various objectives of their own, leading to sometimes competing, sometimes maybe teaming up, etc. That could make for a very engaging gameplay experience long past any potential story.

It does sound like it has potential for sure, and his concept does explain Phil's Initiative "doing new things and old things in new ways" tease. Though I do hope that there is a solo option as well, where you can disable the shared world aspect and just focus on the storyline without having to worry about encountering other players. I could see alot of singleplayer fans complaining if it is shared world only. 

There is also the fact that it would mean that you don't play as Joanna Dark, which kind of sucks, but on the other hand, it would likely mean that we get a character creator, which would be awesome if the creator was highly detailed with both body and facial customization.

For what it's worth, that leakers Forza Motorsport 8 details sound good as well, adding off-road options to Motorsport would be great. The addition of pit stops would also be nice. And of course his Techland + JP studio acquisition sounds great as well. I'm pretty hyped for this May event either way, hope the May 5th rumor is true. 

Just off the top of my head, if I were making such a game, I would have a story with a certain amount of missions that are separate from this shared world structure, in which you just experience the narrative. Then upon completion, you open up the sort of endgame, in which you accept various contracts/missions that send you back into the world, and it's here where you cross paths with other players.

You could also get around the issue of playing Joanna this way. Have her be the playable character for the story, then do a little scene for the endgame where she's recruiting a new agent, which leads you into the character creator. Easy.

Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

It does sound like it has potential for sure, and his concept does explain Phil's Initiative "doing new things and old things in new ways" tease. Though I do hope that there is a solo option as well, where you can disable the shared world aspect and just focus on the storyline without having to worry about encountering other players. I could see alot of singleplayer fans complaining if it is shared world only. 

There is also the fact that it would mean that you don't play as Joanna Dark, which kind of sucks, but on the other hand, it would likely mean that we get a character creator, which would be awesome if the creator was highly detailed with both body and facial customization.

For what it's worth, that leakers Forza Motorsport 8 details sound good as well, adding off-road options to Motorsport would be great. The addition of pit stops would also be nice. And of course his Techland + JP studio acquisition sounds great as well. I'm pretty hyped for this May event either way, hope the May 5th rumor is true. 

Just off the top of my head, if I were making such a game, I would have a story with a certain amount of missions that are separate from this shared world structure, in which you just experience the narrative. Then upon completion, you open up the sort of endgame, in which you accept various contracts/missions that send you back into the world, and it's here where you cross paths with other players.

You could also get around the issue of playing Joanna this way. Have her be the playable character for the story, then do a little scene for the endgame where she's recruiting a new agent, which leads you into the character creator. Easy.

Angelus is Darrel Gallagher confirmed.

If MS partners with SEGA would we get Persona?

WoodenPints said:
Ryuu96 said:
I could see some Microsoft & Sega partnerships happening next gen, Idk in what form but they've been pretty friendly with each other mid-end of this gen and worked together quite a bit; Halo Wars 2, Age of Empires IV, Xbox helping to bring Phantasy Star over to the West.

Now we finally have Yakuza...I imagine Shenmue 3 will come eventually, Sega is probably the closest friend Microsoft has in Japan in terms of publishers...Which isn't saying much...But we take what we can get.

Wouldn't be surprised to see something like, Panzer Dragoon exclusive.

It's only come to NA which is another thing by SEGA to add to their list of dumb business decisions.

Infrastructure is not on SEGA. The reason that the game is US only is because MS only provided Azure servers in US. SEGA has nothing to do with it.

Ryuu96 said:
Hopefully we get an announcement of the event this week.

Most likely tomorrow.

Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

I agree but why separate though? Just let this experimental feature be optional. So, those who want to play it solo will play it solo, and those who want to play it in multiplayer will play it in multiplayer mode. I'm really excited for a new Perfect Dark game. I hope it would be on the same level as the original one on N64. But if MS forces multiplayer in it I wouldn't even bother.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
WoodenPints said:

Infrastructure is not on SEGA. The reason that the game is US only is because MS only provided Azure servers in US. SEGA has nothing to do with it.

Even so the only part of the game that is on dedicated servers is the ARKS ship (town hub) everything else in the game is peer to peer meaning you can play the Xbox version or the Japanese version with zero lag, Not allowing countries outside of USA and Canada to download the game without switching regions and then blocking people from paying you for a game they want to support is just terrible.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Angelus said:

I agree but why separate though? Just let this experimental feature be optional. So, those who want to play it solo will play it solo, and those who want to play it in multiplayer will play it in multiplayer mode. I'm really excited for a new Perfect Dark game. I hope it would be on the same level as the original one on N64. But if MS forces multiplayer in it I wouldn't even bother.

You could do it either way, but if you make the shared world aspect part of the story (to switch on or off), then the narrative has to give you a reason during each mission for why someone else from a competing agency or whatnot might appear and mess with you. That's not an issue of for gameplay loop, but it does present one for compelling storytelling. Depending on the stakes, and the nature of narrative, it's hard to keep justifying that the same sort of outside interference is happening at every step of the way. You could write a story that works around that specifically, but it would limit you in some fashion. Or you could ignore the story implications, and just pretend that for all intents and purposes there's only one player out there, but then it feels disjointed.

It also just affects the mind of players differently. It's the difference between certain people feeling there's a purpose built single player experience, that isn't being hamstrung in some way to fit a multiplayer experience, and vice versa. Whether or not there's an actual compromise happening if/when you meld them together, a not insignificant percentage of people will always perceive it as such.

Splitting them is simpler, cleaner, and ultimately less likely to negatively incline someone to your game. 

Ryuu96 said:
trunkswd said:
I walk away for an hour and 15 unread posts. Techland is a much bigger studio than I thought. That would be a big acquisition if true. Dying Light 2 as an Xbox console exclusive would be a big get and a system seller if the game lives up to the hype. Hasn't it been in development for like 5 years?

It was announced in 2018, you're probably thinking of it's ugly cousin Dead Island 2.

It'd be funny to see Avellone under XGS considering he pretty much burnt all his bridges with Obsidian...Would be cool if Microsoft could mend that relationship...But I doubt it.

Isn't Avellone a freelancer? Even if they bought Techland, he would leave when the game is ready.

As much as I like the thought of MS making Dying Light 2 an exclusive I don’t see MS doing it for the same reason Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2 are multiplat. They don’t want to create any bad blood due to the game all ready being announced for PS. 

What I see happening if any of this is true is making a Series X exclusive version. Dying Light 2 is current gen so that’s where the goodwill ends. Make money from sales on competing platforms and also claim you have the best, and only version at next gen launch.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Same guy that says that MS have acquired Techland said that this about MS and Sega “It might be partnership, but from what I hear it seems like something more”.

he also states that he gets his info from a contact at Creative Assembly regarding Sega.

Last edited by EspadaGrim - on 26 April 2020