By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:

Do we know what happened to inXile's 2nd studio after MS bought them? They opened a New Orleans studio in 2015. Did that get closed down, or are they a 2 team studio?

Either way, sounds like this new project is being developed by the main studio in California, it will likely be the next big game they make after Wasteland 3 once it goes gold in a couple of months. Hopefully the fact that they're bringing over the lead systems designer from The Outer Worlds and the fact that he's hinting at the game being ambitious, means that it will be a AA full 3D RPG like The Outer Worlds, rather than isometric like Wasteland 3.

Pretty sure that they still exist but right now will likely be a support studio and not take on a project of their own.

it will be interesting to see if they and Undead New Orleans will ever develop a game independently of the main studio.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

InXile moving to a new office.

Inxile Newport Beach is very likely to be a AAA size studio in the future with they way that they are growing plus all the job descriptions mentioning AAA quality/production.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” Booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

Of course, the company will still be wanting to show off its new hardware to best effect. “Our approach is to pick one or two IP that we’re going to focus on and make sure that they’re there at the launch of the console, taking advantage of all the features. And for us that’s going to be Halo Infinite, which is a big opportunity.

https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/

Really worried about this personally. It won't matter if Series X is 12 tflop if the 1.3 tflop Xbox One is holding back development for most of the games. It's nice that the Halo Infinite next-gen version is being developed separately from the last-gen version so that it won't be held back (and the Hellblade 2 trailer seemed to suggest it was as well), but in the end those are only 2 games out of probably 8+ 1st/2nd party games that will release in the first 2 years of 9th gen. You'd better believe that Sony will have no qualms about abandoning PS4 users quickly at the start of next-gen, I expect we'll see lots of PS5 exclusives in the first 2 years; Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, God of War 5, a new Ratchet or Sunset Overdrive from Insomniac's 2nd AAA team, just to name some of them. I really hope that Forza Motorsport 8 isn't being held back by current gen, that would be the worst possible thing they could do at this point considering the heavy criticism the series has faced all generation for lacking innovation; in order to get a fresh start Forza Motorsport needs to take full advantage of next-gen hardware. 

I'm really not concerned in the way I might have been in the PS2/3 days. The tech really is very standardised and scalable now. I think we've seen that a lot this generation. Playing Gears 5 on the One X for example, was phenomenal. When I saw my brother playing it on the standard Xbox One it looked good, but the step up was significant.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Barozi said:
Finished Rage 2.

-snäp-

All in all the game is good enough to play, especially when it's included in Game Pass. The game is pretty short and doesn't have a lot of replay value, so I'm glad I didn't have to buy it, however I would consider buying the DLCs when they're on sale.
7.5/10

I thought the game just felt.. so pointless. It lacks a story and missions but it's filled with copy/paste locations to clear. Driving is horrible. There's hardly any exciting level design which is a shame, because gunplay was ok and there's a good variety of abilities. Should've done a proper more linear campaign instead of useless open world.

I also noted menu freezing. It got very annoying. And if I'm not mistaken,  you can't buy dlc campaign directly from Xbox Marketplace. You have to link to Bethesda account and use in-game store. Wtf is this shit? 

5/10.

crissindahouse said:
To think even further about it some XBO owners might even think that a PS5 is a better option when they See that MS's games still release on their XBO.

With online gaming so important nowadays you need to get as many people as possible the first years to buy your console so that people have many friends to play with. Many just buy what their friends have to play Fifa, CoD and other games with.

Releasing your own games still on last gen consoles totally works against selling your new console as fast as possible to gamers.

I don't see the problem here at all actually. First of all, early adopters are alwas usually the tech enthusiasts who are willing to pay expensive price for hardware itself rather than for a few games. This gen transition will be as soft as possible anyway as third parties won't make a next-gen exclusives for a long time. So, what's the point for MS to stand out and lock Xbox One owners from only 10-20 games at best? The second point that some people are seem to be concerned with is that games will not fully use the hardware technologies of Series X because they will also need to be released on Xbox One. It is completely not true in terms of CPU/GPU side. Games release on PCs with a huge veriety of specs and they look a lot better on high end PCs rather than low end PCs. The only concern that makes sense is the SSD thing. MS releases their games on PC anyway, so they can't force using SSDs as a minimal requirement for PC version anyway. They can't design games with SSD in mind not because of Xbox One but because of PC. And also, if people are expecting that SSDs will have some major impact on game design in terms of complete removal of loading screens and walking corridor sections, they are gonna be completely disappointed in next gen. Because it won't happen. There is no such magic in SSDs that they can completely eliminate loading at all.

Angelus said:
MS not dropping support for Xbox One any time soon is the price you pay for GamePass. They're much more interested in growing their subscription base than selling any particular piece of hardware, and showing their customers a steady influx of new first party titles is key to that strategy.

True. It will also gain the goodwill from existing Xbox One owners which are not willing to upgrade early in the gen anyway and if they stay subsribed and interested in GamePass, it is obvious which next-gen console they will choose in the future once they decide to upgrade.

Ryuu96 said:

I wonder if we'll get an Inside Xbox early 2020, would be good for Microsoft to spread it's news across the year, like...

Inside Xbox February - Release Dates of XGS Projects + Gameplay (Battletoads, Grounded, Minecraft Dungeons). Show off more gameplay for Q1/Q2 titles. Sprinkled with minor announcements, Halo Infinite Beta?

Series X April Reveal - Reveal Series X + Lockhart, Halo Infinite/Forza Motorsport 8 Showcase.

June E3 - Blowout.

Starting to feel a little pessimistic about Infinite's beta, they're completely radio silent with no sign of it coming anytime soon, if it doesn't come soon it's probably going to be one of those fake 'betas' which are basically just marketing demos.

IX in late February makes total sense. Ori releases in March, Grounded and Minecraft Dungeons in April. Better get done with this stuff before they start talking about Series X. So that they can focus on next gen entirely.

Around the Network

Series X > Xbox one

@poll not like that’s saying much

Ryuu96 said:

Wonder how long they will keep these monthly updates going 

shikamaru317 said:
I found Rage 2 to be a major disappointment compared to the first game. I quit after maybe 5 hours.

That's pretty much my experience with Rage 1. Played it for ~2 hours on Xbox 360 and never returned.
Then when it was part of the BC program on the One. I tried it once more from the beginning and barely made it further before deleting it off my HDD.

Not a bad game by any means but it didn't felt very interesting and it had a very depressing look.

Last edited by Barozi - on 11 January 2020

KiigelHeart said:
Barozi said:
Finished Rage 2.

-snäp-

All in all the game is good enough to play, especially when it's included in Game Pass. The game is pretty short and doesn't have a lot of replay value, so I'm glad I didn't have to buy it, however I would consider buying the DLCs when they're on sale.
7.5/10

I thought the game just felt.. so pointless. It lacks a story and missions but it's filled with copy/paste locations to clear. Driving is horrible. There's hardly any exciting level design which is a shame, because gunplay was ok and there's a good variety of abilities. Should've done a proper more linear campaign instead of useless open world.

I also noted menu freezing. It got very annoying. And if I'm not mistaken,  you can't buy dlc campaign directly from Xbox Marketplace. You have to link to Bethesda account and use in-game store. Wtf is this shit? 

5/10.

Yeah kind of weird how they use "Rage-Coins".

Makes me wonder if publishers get a bigger share from consumables than regular DLCs.

derpysquirtle64 said:
crissindahouse said:
To think even further about it some XBO owners might even think that a PS5 is a better option when they See that MS's games still release on their XBO.

With online gaming so important nowadays you need to get as many people as possible the first years to buy your console so that people have many friends to play with. Many just buy what their friends have to play Fifa, CoD and other games with.

Releasing your own games still on last gen consoles totally works against selling your new console as fast as possible to gamers.

I don't see the problem here at all actually. First of all, early adopters are alwas usually the tech enthusiasts who are willing to pay expensive price for hardware itself rather than for a few games. This gen transition will be as soft as possible anyway as third parties won't make a next-gen exclusives for a long time. So, what's the point for MS to stand out and lock Xbox One owners from only 10-20 games at best? The second point that some people are seem to be concerned with is that games will not fully use the hardware technologies of Series X because they will also need to be released on Xbox One. It is completely not true in terms of CPU/GPU side. Games release on PCs with a huge veriety of specs and they look a lot better on high end PCs rather than low end PCs. The only concern that makes sense is the SSD thing. MS releases their games on PC anyway, so they can't force using SSDs as a minimal requirement for PC version anyway. They can't design games with SSD in mind not because of Xbox One but because of PC. And also, if people are expecting that SSDs will have some major impact on game design in terms of complete removal of loading screens and walking corridor sections, they are gonna be completely disappointed in next gen. Because it won't happen. There is no such magic in SSDs that they can completely eliminate loading at all.

Early adopters want to get something for their money. They don't want to see only games which they could all get also on their old console just with better graphics. Sure, that's also nice but one important thing is still missing, the games not on last gen. 

And I see it different with the scalability. Engines are good at this nowadays but Xbox One's CPU was already a problem 7 years ago. How are developers supposed to develop games not possible on weak CPUs when the games still need to run on Xbox One? That totally destroys any freedom for their devs to work on games which were truly not possible before. We don't talk about resolution or shadow quality here. 

Same with the SSDs. Yes, MS could release games which would require a SSD. Most on PC have that already and there will be games coming who require that. Star Citizen already asks for it. Maybe not a NVME but still. This is not only about faster loading times. It's also something which totally changes what kind of games developers can work on.

What does MS want to hear the next years? Instead of "lol 900p" which MS realized that this sucked for many, they will hear "oh look, last gen games but in 4k" or what?

They will get destroyed for not releasing any next gen exclusive game for years. This won't be even funny. It's almost as bad as  just porting your Xbox One games to next gen and tell people to please buy into next gen.  

I was always more an Xbox guy (but I didn't really play this gen and only started again half a year ago on PC) but with such a decision I would rather buy a PS5 and not a Series X at release and who knows if I ever would buy a Series X years later if PS5 would be enough for me. 

They definitely make it easier for some to jump from Xbox to PS. 

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 11 January 2020