By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
jason1637 said:

Right now I don’t see a problem with NFT implementation. It could be a really cool way to have digital collectibles and NPC ownership alongside a marketplace for gamers to buy, sell, trade these tokens. If publishers start to exploit consumers in a way it affects the gameplay experience then there’s a conversation to be had but right now none of that is happening. 

Also the gpu and environmental concerns are kinda funny because none brought up these concerns when Sony and MS were building these cloud streaming centers. I’m sure these centers aren’t operated using clean energy.

That's the problem though. Has any game company proven to be worthy of trusting they wouldn't exploit their customers for monetary gain? Do you trust game companies like Ubisoft or Peter Molyneux's new NFT venture to not exploit consumers in a way it affects the gameplay experience? Because they're some of the first in gaming to fully embrace NFT's and given each of their histories, I'm leaning towards no. Their histories have taught me that they're in this to exploit it as much as humanly possible. I would rather address the problem before it actually becomes a problem. Unfortunately, nothing I can do other than warn others and not buy into it.

People were pissed in 2006 when Bethesda sold the first microtransaction in the form of a horse armor set in Oblivion but there were many who thought "it's just horse armor for not that much, what's the big deal? It looks cool" and bought it. Look where we are now.

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 15 December 2021

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
jason1637 said:

Right now I don’t see a problem with NFT implementation. It could be a really cool way to have digital collectibles and NPC ownership alongside a marketplace for gamers to buy, sell, trade these tokens. If publishers start to exploit consumers in a way it affects the gameplay experience then there’s a conversation to be had but right now none of that is happening. 

Also the gpu and environmental concerns are kinda funny because none brought up these concerns when Sony and MS were building these cloud streaming centers. I’m sure these centers aren’t operated using clean energy.

That's the problem though. Has any game company proven to be worthy of trusting they wouldn't exploit their customers for monetary gain? Do you trust game companies like Ubisoft or Peter Molyneux's new NFT venture to not exploit consumers in a way it affects the gameplay experience? Because they're some of the first in gaming to fully embrace NFT's and I'm leaning towards no. They're in this to exploit it as much as humanly possible. I would rather address the problem before it actually becomes a problem. Unfortunately, nothing I can do other than warn others and not buy into it.

People were pissed in 2006 when Bethesda sold the first microtransaction in the form of a horse armor set in Oblivion but there were many who thought "it's just horse armor for not that much, what's the big deal? It looks cool" and bought it. Look where we are now.

No I don’t trust these companies. I do think it’s possible they can fuck it up somehow but right now the current implementation is actually pretty cool. If a company does some stupid NFT implementation I’ll join y’all in boycotting said game but as of now I like what I’m seeing.

jason1637 said:

Oh really?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-13-gaming-downloads-climate-crisis

It's been brought up many times before.

Also you don't need NFTs for a marketplace to buy, sell, trade. Online RPGs have had 3rd party sites forever to buy, sell and trade items, gold and whole accounts. WoW gold mining has been under the loop before, but the impact of that is nothing compared to what NFT transactions at scale can do.

Not game related but somewhat sorta relevant. 

green_sky said:

Not game related but somewhat sorta relevant. 

Wish I could give it more thumbs up, so I'll quote it instead :) So painfully true.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
jason1637 said:

Oh really?

Also you don't need NFTs for a marketplace to buy, sell, trade. Online RPGs have had 3rd party sites forever to buy, sell and trade items, gold and whole accounts. WoW gold mining has been under the loop before, but the impact of that is nothing compared to what NFT transactions at scale can do.

I mean on this site and thread specially I didn’t see the same type of arguments being made for MS and other companies using these GPUs to power their cloud centers and the possible impact of these centers not using green energy.

Also I’m talking more about console gaming. I know CSGO and some other games have a site where you can buy, trade and sell skins. 

jason1637 said:
SvennoJ said:

Oh really?

I mean on this site and thread specially I didn’t see the same type of arguments being made for MS and other companies using these GPUs to power their cloud centers and the possible impact of these centers not using green energy.

Also I’m talking more about console gaming. I know CSGO and some other games have a site where you can buy, trade and sell skins. 

Aren't some of these on consoles?
https://www.playerauctions.com/game-index/

People also sell digital console games by tying them to a newly created account and sell the account on.

Many games have in game ways to trade items, doesn't Forza Horizon let you 'sell' your liveries. Each time I bought a car it had me buy it from another player, or at least it looked like that. Not for real money, but it's a transaction nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure I've raised environmental concerns of OnLive, PS Now, Gamepass and cloud gaming in general before. It's always a touchy subject and you're quickly labeled a hater because of tribal lines, climate change deniers and more. Plus the ever, it won't be a problem in the future.

As a side note, I wonder how many more Series X could have been sold if MS had not been putting those GPUs in data centers for xCloud.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/22/22546139/xbox-xcloud-series-x-hardware-games-servers-datacenters

It's a problem right now though. My kids school just closed again because of a recent outbreak. Back to online learning on Teams. I hope there is enough bandwidth capacity to get some decent quality audio and video. My internet connection has become progressively worse as the pandemic goes on. Last time they had online learning audio in Teams continually kept speeding up and down, video often freezing / dropping out, people dropping out. It was a nightmare.

The biggest shift that needs to happen in civilization is the realization that resources are finite. Only time is infinite. Yet the usual thinking is, my time on this planet is finite so I better use up as much as I can within that time. Or rather, my little 'contribution' is just a drop in the ocean, let the big corporations fix it. (Who simply continue to deliver what people buy)

Anyway, NFTs won't make any difference to trading skins among players. The NFT token only states you bought a skin from another player. It's still up the publisher to honor that arrangement by removing access to the skin from the one player and enabling it on your account. an NFT token is nothing more than a record of transaction. What is the point of having that in BlockChain instead of on the game server?

Just played the Matrix tech demo. Frame rate sucks but it's stunning. A look into what we can expect later in the generation. Rockstar might be able to pull something like this off in a few years with GTA VI.

Ryuu96 said:

I've been trying to rank my Halo's and I think I give up, it's too hard, Lol.

1. Halo 2
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo Infinite
  4. Halo Reach
  5. Halo 4
  6. Halo CE
  7. Halo 5

Not gonna include Halo Wars in this, cus they're entirely different games. Halo Infinite could be #1 in a couple of years, once it's got all the features it oughta have, and if they keep adding great maps, new weapons, and of course cool story expansions. It could also slide down to 4th, if for whatever reason they fail to execute on these points over the game's life cycle.

Ryuu96 said:
Machiavellian said:

But this has absolutely nothing to do with MTX, its like people are purposely confusing selling some skin of yourself outside of the game to actual purchase of cosmetic in game items.  Lets think this through, if they just sold this skin and allowed people to give them money to be in the game would you really care.  Is it the NFT part that gets your goat and even still, how does it affect the game, its quality, price or fun factor.  I am still at a loss on how this actually affect the actual game itself and why I should care if its cryptocurrecy they want to give a person who pays for a skin in a game compared to nothing.

It absolutely does, NFTs is just another fancy way of doing MTXs with the added caveat of giving publishers a better excuse to jack the prices up with the "unique to you" nonsense.

We keep saying we can do what NFTs do now with MTXs so...Why don't they? Because they would be slaughtered but NFTs is this new fancy thing with a silly "ownership" lie attached to it to make people think it's worth anything when it isn't, it starts with 'free' or limited paid stuff and will quickly be abused by publishers as ALWAYS is the case.

When even the developers don't like it, it's very clear where the NFT push is coming from, the business suits up top. This solves an issue which doesn't even exist, it's unneeded garbage. It also can affect gameplay in the case of Ubisoft's, I mean, even Halo Infinite's challenge system affects the matches when people just AFK farm for XP, now people are going to AFK farm for some useless helmet cause it requires 600 hours play time, Lol.

And that's without getting into the environmental concern and GPU shortage.

Context is king here Ryu.  MTX is an in game purchase of game content.  This is not an in game purchase of game content.  This is actually no different than a promotion to sell people a chance to be within a game.  It really does not matter if its cryptocurrency or just plain cash.  It has absolutely no market within the game.  You cannot go to a store and purchase it, its not sold or bundled with other digital trinkets. NFTs really would not work as a MTX because you would need to make each and every item unique unlike an MTX where you can just make one skin for a gun and sell it multiple times to multiple customers.  NFT does not work for MTX and would be more a pain then just using the current model.   If its unneeded garbage then just ignore it.  Does it actually hurt you that some person purchased a skin to be in a game and they were giving a NFT for that purchase.  You are basically saying, because I believe this way, then its not good but what you should be saying is that because you feel this way, I do not have to participate.  If others want to participate then let them, maybe they will get the value out of it that you do not see.  I personally have no use for it but I also know that when I play Stalker2, I will not think twice that some digital character in the game is some person who paid money to be there.

Also please with the environmental concerns because if gamers really cared about the environment then they would not just pick and choose which to support.  There are servers around the world that run constantly to supply gamers with their streaming and MP games, movies and TV shows you name it.  We all talking about XCloud, Nvidia, Amazon, Google services running blades with GPU and CPU constantly streaming games delivering GB downloads etc.  Yeah, gamers really do not care about the environment, they only get socially conscious when it something else that get the lime light.