By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - xCloud Coming to iOS/PC Tomorrow | Bethesda Officially Joins Xbox | Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

trunkswd said:
jason1637 said:

I got showtime with my Spotify subscription. If it moves to Paramount+ I'll probably not watch it.

I don't have either, but I am with you there. I probably won't bother. Even as a Trekkie I haven't bothered to pay for CBS All Access which is becoming Paramount+. 

They have some pretty good shows though so I will probably sub for a few months after awhile and binge some stuff. Star Trek wise, while Picard and Discovery are kind of hot garbage imo and Strange New Worlds also looks to be hot garbage, Lower Decks and Prodigy seem like they might be worth a try. They have reboots of Frasier and iCarly coming which both interest me. They have a good documentary about the Sega-Nintendo console wars of the early 90's and the legend himself, Tom Kalinske. And of course they'll have the Halo show which might be good. Plus of course they have a bunch of older CBS shows as streaming exclusives, and future Paramount movies will be streaming exclusive to it. They said they plan to spend $5b+ on original content for it through 2024, so there are definitely more originals coming before 2024 than they have announced so far. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
trunkswd said:

I don't have either, but I am with you there. I probably won't bother. Even as a Trekkie I haven't bothered to pay for CBS All Access which is becoming Paramount+. 

They have some pretty good shows though so I will probably sub for a few months after awhile and binge some stuff. Star Trek wise, while Picard and Discovery are kind of hot garbage imo and Strange New Worlds also looks to be hot garbage, Lower Decks and Prodigy seem like they might be worth a try. They have reboots of Frasier and iCarly coming which both interest me. They have a good documentary about the Sega-Nintendo console wars of the early 90's and the legend himself, Tom Kalinske. And of course they'll have the Halo show which might be good. Plus of course they have a bunch of older CBS shows as streaming exclusives, and future Paramount movies will be streaming exclusive to it. They said they plan to spend $5b+ on original content for it through 2024, so there are definitely more originals coming before 2024 than they have announced so far. 

I watched season 1 of Disco and it was awful. Picard wasn't bad, but it just didn't feel like Star Trek. Lower Decks looks decent enough. For me I am only willing to spend so much on streaming services. Netflix, Prime and Disney+ is my limit. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
shikamaru317 said:

I watched season 1 of Disco and it was awful. Picard wasn't bad, but it just didn't feel like Star Trek. Lower Decks looks decent enough. For me I am only willing to spend so much on streaming services. Netflix, Prime and Disney+ is my limit. 

Yeah, it's kind of hard to be more tone deaf to what fans of a franchise want than CBS has been recently. Discovery was terrible and I'm sure it's 2 spinoffs, Strange New Worlds and Section 31, will be just as bad. Picard seems somewhat better though still not what most TNG era Trek fans wanted out of it. Lower Decks seems ok in spite of being a comedy, and I have hopes for the new young adult focused Star Trek Prodigy that they are doing with Nickelodeon, which will also be on Paramount+. I really wish they weren't so tone deaf to what the older fanbase wants though, would love it if they made a new Trek series that was actually focused on what the older fans want. Both Michael Dorn and Garret Wang have expressed interest in having their own shows focused on older versions of Worf and Harry Kim respectively and aimed at the older fanbase, but CBS seemingly turned them both down, they only care about this new fanbase they've created. 

I guess I'll just have to stick with the Hulu exclusive The Orville, it is much more classic Trek than these CBS Trek shows will ever be, despite not having the Trek name attached to it. It has several of the old Trek writers and producers, cameos from several of the old Trek actors, both Jonathan Frakes and Robert Duncan McNeil have directed episodes of it. Seth MacFarlane is a fan of classic Trek and it shows. 

Missed this but Deadline reported that the Halo series is at 81m copies sold.

Halo reinvented how people think about video games and has grown into a global entertainment phenomenon, having sold more than 81 million copies worldwide.

Last reported number was on July 13th, 2015 for 65m.

Zhuge reported 70m sold on June 9th, 2016, adding the reported 5m Halo 5 copies sold to the 65m number.

So since June 2016 - February 2021 it has sold 11 million extra, likely split mainly between continued Halo 5 sales (beyond 5m), Halo MCC sales + Steam release and Halo Wars 2.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 February 2021

Ryuu96 said:

Halo reinvented how people think about video games and has grown into a global entertainment phenomenon, having sold more than 81 million copies worldwide.

Zhuge reported 70m sold on June 9th, 2016, adding the reported 5m Halo 5 copies sold to the 65m number.

So since June 2016 - February 2021 it has sold 11 million extra, likely split mainly between continued Halo 5 sales (beyond 5m), Halo MCC sales + Steam release and Halo Wars 2.

Well, since the Zhuge 2016 number 70m numbers, 3 Halo games have released, Halo Wars Definitive Edition, Halo Wars 2, and Halo MCC for PC, plus we would have had continued legs for mainly Halo 5 and MCC for Xbox One (Halo 4 and older Halo games wouldn't be selling much by that point).

Michael Pachter claimed in 2017, a year after the last official Halo 5 five million+ number, that he was told by somebody at MS that Halo 5 lifetime sales were trending towards the bestselling games in the Halo series, so most likely 8m+ by that point. So, I'm going to guess the breakdown of those 11m sales from 2017 to now is something like this:

• Halo 5- 4.5m sales (9.5m+ life to date)
  • Halo MCC- 4m sales, including roughly 3m on Steam and roughly 1m on continued Xbox One legs (life to date of roughly 9m+)
  • Halo Wars 2- 2m sales
  • Halo Wars Definitive Edition- 500k sales (it's in the 200k-500k range on Steam Spy, plus it released on Xbox, so roughly 500k combined is likely a safe bet)
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 25 February 2021

Around the Network

Excellent news about the Halo sales. Glad it's still going strong. Hopefully Halo Infinite will be as good as I'm hoping it will be and will take the series past 100 million.

I wonder which Japanese studio is making that rumored PS5 exclusive Silent Hill game now since it looks like it won’t be developed by any Sony 1st party studios. Kojima productions was already dismissed as an option. https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/lse8s6/sources_playstation_is_winding_down_sony_japan/

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Well, since the Zhuge 2016 number 70m numbers, 3 Halo games have released, Halo Wars Definitive Edition, Halo Wars 2, and Halo MCC for PC, plus we would have had continued legs for mainly Halo 5 and MCC for Xbox One (Halo 4 and older Halo games wouldn't be selling much by that point).

Michael Pachter claimed in 2017, a year after the last official Halo 5 five million+ number, that he was told by somebody at MS that Halo 5 lifetime sales were trending towards the bestselling games in the Halo series, so most likely 8m+ by that point. So, I'm going to guess the breakdown of those 11m sales from 2017 to now is something like this:

• Halo MCC- 4m sales, including roughly 3m on Steam and roughly 1m on continued Xbox One legs (life to date of roughly 9m+)
  • Halo Wars 2- 2m sales
  • Halo Wars Definitive Edition- 500k sales (it's in the 200k-500k range on Steam Spy, plus it released on Xbox, so roughly 500k combined is likely a safe bet)

I can be wrong here but something tells me that MCC sold more than Halo 5, just considering the PC release in the first place. Going by your suggestions Halo 5 sold 4.5m on Xbox while MCC sold only 1m. Doesn't seem likely as MCC had only one year headstart over Halo 5.

EspadaGrim said:

I wonder which Japanese studio is making that rumored PS5 exclusive Silent Hill game now since it looks like it won’t be developed by any Sony 1st party studios. Kojima productions was already dismissed as an option. https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/lse8s6/sources_playstation_is_winding_down_sony_japan/

Whichever studio they go with it will definitely be outsourced with zero input coming from Sony's own studios. Or to paraphrase it simply: Sony will just buy a timed or full exclusivity of a third party game.

derpysquirtle64 said:
shikamaru317 said:

• Halo Wars 2- 2m sales

I can be wrong here but something tells me that MCC sold more than Halo 5, just considering the PC release in the first place. Going by your suggestions Halo 5 sold 4.5m on Xbox while MCC sold only 1m. Doesn't seem likely as MCC had only one year headstart over Halo 5.

Hard to say really. The Xbox release of MCC was badly damaged by how bad it was on release, took years for 343 to fix it. Sales did pick up after it was finally fixed, but late life MCC sales on Xbox didn't seem nearly as good as sales of MCC on Steam or late life Halo 5 sales. I'd actually say that I have the Steam sales of MCC undertracked some, I only said 3m for MCC Steam, but it sold nearly 2m on Steam in just the first few days, so lifetime Steam for MCC is probably closer to 4m than 3m. 

We also have Michael Pachter claim that MS told him in 2017 that Halo 5 sales were tracking towards matching Halo 4/Reach, which both sold around 10m, so Halo 5 surely must be at 9.5m by now between the 5m in the first 3 months and sales after those first 3 months, unless Pachter was lying (this is Pachter we are talking about afterall xD). 

I might also be overtracking Halo Wars 2 some, which would free up more space for higher MCC sales. I really don't think Halo Wars 2 sold all that well honestly. For one thing, MS stupidly never released it on Steam, Windows Store only on PC, which for sure hurt it's PC sales. Then we have the fact that 343 recently said they have no plans for Halo Wars 3, which also seems to suggest that Halo Wars 2 sold under expectations. Lastly we have the the fact that VGC was only tracking 510k Xbox physical sales for Halo Wars 2 when VGC stopped tracking individual games in 2018, with only 510k physical on Xbox at that point, lifetime Halo Wars 2 on Xbox might be less than 1m, and I doubt Windows Store only PC release accounted for 1m. So Halo Wars 2 is probably more like 1.5-1.7m for now, MS badly needs to port it to Steam.