By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

God I hope Starfield isn't on last gen, Bethesda isn't known for their QA/Optimising...Probably would be for the best to cut some platforms out and focus on Xbox/PC

Around the Network

What do you guys think about the just confirmed next-gen VR headset for PS5? Do you think Microsoft needs to counter it?

Personally I think MS absolutely needs to counter it, VR is clearly not some failed gimmick like Kinect/PS Move style motion controls were, VR has showed that it is here to stay through continued growth. I don't think MS can allow PS5 to have that advantage of VR support over Xbox. MS needs to either design a proper Xbox VR headset (ideal) or at least offer support for PC VR headsets and Windows Mixed Reality headsets on Xbox Series. 

MS already will have several 1st party studios who are able to support an Xbox VR headset (as well as PC VR headsets) with content, Ninja Theory has VR experience from the Darth Vader VR game they did, Bethesda was pushing quite hard for VR so id, Bethesda Game Studios, Machine, and I believe Arkane all have VR experience/teams now, and MS can either acquire some more VR studios or build a few new VR studios or a few more VR teams at existing studios so that they have enough teams to support a VR headset with content.  

Just partner with a company that already does VR (like Valve?) to make an Xbox specific one, just please don't partner with Facebook for it.

It is a bit weird to see some Xbox studios do VR stuff and Xbox not getting it, Flight Sim will have VR, Project Mara looks perfect for VR, InXile I believe did a VR game, I would like a 'explore Halo' VR tech demo though.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 23 February 2021

Ryuu96 said:

Lol, if there is any truth to this then it would be some next-level shitty marketing from Xbox, it would mean they knew it wasn't ready to be shown, knew they were delaying it before the gameplay trailer and yet still decided to show it and receive that massive PR backlash, what for? To give them an excuse to delay it? Definitely not worth it, 343's rep has taken yet another hit.

Hope it isn't true but Microsoft marketing is extremely bad sometimes.

That's one way to look at it. But I'm quite on the opposite side here. I hope Jez is right because it is better to have an issue in PR department - lying about Halo Infinite making it to Series X launch despite knowing that the delay is gonna be announced soon after, than having an issue with a complete miscommunication between 343 and top Xbox leadership. Because if Jez is wrong and they didn't know in advance that they are gonna delay it, it can mean only three things: either 343 is lying all the time when reporting to Phil about actual state of the game or Phil not realising how bad and unfinished the game is and trying to release it along Series X launch no matter what but changing an opinion after backlash.

I think everyone will agree that Xbox PR just making a mistake by sending the wrong message about the game's release is still better than any of the options stated above.

Fair point, yeah, the alternative is a breakdown in communication between 343 and Xbox which isn't good, Lol.

Just wish they simply delayed it without showing the gameplay video, 343's suffered enough hits to their image and trust is at an all time low in them.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

God I hope Starfield isn't on last gen, Bethesda isn't known for their QA/Optimising...Probably would be for the best to cut some platforms out and focus on Xbox/PC

It was cross-gen as of E3 2018, but that was before the rumored transfer from the old Fallout 76 build of Creation to the new next-gen build they made for Elder Scrolls 6, reportedly due to issues with texture streaming and the load zones of the old Creation engine causing issues with space travel speeds in Starfield. Rather or not they will try to scale back the next-gen engine version for last-gen consoles I can't say, on the one hand it will be very difficult to get Starfield to run well on base XB1 which could cause a Cyberpunk like fiasco on XB1, but on the other, XB1 represents a 50m+ install base while Xbox Series install base will likely only be around 11-14m by the end of Holiday 2021 thanks to the AMD semi-conductor shortages in the first half of 2021.

If Starfield is still on last gen consoles then I wish I put 2022

Doubt they'd be able to optimise that shit in Covid times, maybe they could do a staggered release but I doubt it.

As for VR on Xbox, I don't really care that much as VR is still super niche. I'd be fine if they just add support for VR headsets that are on PC and release PC VR games on Xbox.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

shikamaru317 said:

What do you guys think about the just confirmed next-gen VR headset for PS5? Do you think Microsoft needs to counter it?

Personally I think MS absolutely needs to counter it, VR is clearly not some failed gimmick like Kinect/PS Move style motion controls were, VR has showed that it is here to stay through continued growth. I don't think MS can allow PS5 to have that advantage of VR support over Xbox. MS needs to either design a proper Xbox VR headset (ideal) or at least offer support for PC VR headsets and Windows Mixed Reality headsets on Xbox Series. 

MS already will have several 1st party studios who are able to support an Xbox VR headset (as well as PC VR headsets) with content, Ninja Theory has VR experience from the Darth Vader VR game they did, Bethesda was pushing quite hard for VR so id, Bethesda Game Studios, Machine, and I believe Arkane all have VR experience/teams now, and MS can either acquire some more VR studios or build a few new VR studios or a few more VR teams at existing studios so that they have enough teams to support a VR headset with content.  

Of course they should. The issue is, as far as I know, WMR is not suited for gaming and if Steam compatibility list is anything to pay attention to, only around 30-40% of VR games are compatible with WMR headsets. So, if Microsoft doesn't want to create their own hardware (which I believe is the case), they have only two options: partner with Facebook for Oculus or partner with Valve for SteamVR. Actually, Facebook can already be ruled out, because their business model for Oculus is very console-like, they want their customers to buy games from their own store but still allow their headsets to be used with Steam VR games. I don't believe Facebook would want to allow Oculus to work with Xbox, because in this case it's a competing device. You don't need to connect your Oculus Quest to Xbox if Oculus Quest already works as a standalone device. So, this leaves Valve as an only option, but to make it work, Microsoft needs Valve to port all their SteamVR SDK, runtimes and other stuff to Xbox OS. Not an easy task which will probably require MS to pay a huge check for Valve to do it.

Ryuu96 said:

Fair point, yeah, the alternative is a breakdown in communication between 343 and Xbox which isn't good, Lol.

Just wish they simply delayed it without showing the gameplay video, 343's suffered enough hits to their image and trust is at an all time low in them.

Yes, but probably this was not an option. They've been teasing the whole Xbox crowd with "Halo will be the main point in Series X showcase" for so much time that they couldn't have a showcase without Halo. So, they've had a choice between hearing "Halo looks like crap" or "Where the fuck is Halo, we can't wait any longer" from the fans. As we see, they decided on the first option.