By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Ahh hell lol. The only info they have on their website is 250+ employees, but they do have 30 current job openings. So they're definitely hiring for the amount of projects they're working on. 

Microsoft getting Certain Affinity and SkyBox Labs with their 200+ employees, and putting them on Halo. That's all the manpower they'll need right there. 

They claim to be "Austin's largest independent game developer" so I wonder what the exact number is but I also don't know of the top of my head what independent developers are left in Austin, Lol.

Think they opened the Canada studio about 3 years ago, Canada is choke full of developers so it should be easy to staff up, especially when they're winning awards like these.

Certain Affinity Toronto Studio Wins “Studio of the Year” Award from the Canadian Game Awards 2021 - Certain Affinity

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to see some CoD studios be switched to Halo once the deal finalizes lol. 

twintail said:
crissindahouse said:

I really don't get this stupid CoD argument if it comes to Microsoft's purchase of Activision. CoD is huge but it's not the only god damn shooter, isn't as important as it was some years ago and won't magically let MS sell 80% of all consoles.

It's also not as if Sony doesn't get bigger and bigger as well. They dominated last gen and even if not by as much they would dominate this gen if they could produce more consoles. They also bought some studios and will do so in the future so that they even increase the number of studios and big games only available for PS.

Anyone who isn't blind can see that Sony is dominating the console market against Xbox. If you really want to have a situation without one company dominating the other then you even have to support the purchase of Activision. That could maybe break Sony's dominance but would surely not make Microsoft the dominating power in the console space.

According to the NPD (top 10 only) , CoD ranked the following from 2017 - 2022:

• 2017 - CoD was 1st (Destiny 2 and BF2 were the only other FPS in the top 10) link
  • 2018 - CoD was 2nd (FC5 was at 7) link
  • 2019 - CoD was 1st (no other FPS in the top 10) link
  • 2020 - CoD was 1st + 2nd (2 different entries, no other FPS in the top 10) link
  • 2021 - CoD was 1st + 2nd (2 different entries, BF was at 5) link

Your claim that CoD isn't as important as it used to be is highly questionable. According to NPD data, CoD isn't just the best consistently selling FPS on the market (especially when few even make the top 10 to begin with), it's also the best consistently selling game period.

Also, the issue for the CMA isn't really about console dominance as it stands now. The concern is that competition is immediately stifled if MS owns production to a game with the importance that CoD has. 

The other concerns for the CMA, which are actually more important than console sales, is in relation to subscription and cloud gaming models. As the CMA believes that these are avenues for new competition to enter the gaming industry, the concern is that MS owning CoD will strengthen their subscription and cloud models to such a degree, that any new competitor into the gaming industry are too disadvantaged to be able to viably compete.

Just because it's still number one doesn't change what I said/meant. It just isn't as important anymore as it was at MW2 and the years after time. And if this CMA would be so concerned about all this stuff they should have asked Sony to calm down the last years where they dominated already to the extreme especially in Europe and they still could do whatever they wanted to get even bigger advantages. And the CoD franchise is ironically a part of that where Sony ensured that "real" CoD fans needed a PS with the exclusivity deals. Did CMA tell Sony that this isn't ok when Xbox was already on the ground? Nahh...

Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to see some CoD studios be switched to Halo once the deal finalizes lol. 

Lol. Microsoft needs to just stop acquiring publishers and acquire some supporting studios after Activision-Blizzard, like you said, Certain Affinity and Skybox would do fine. Infinity Ward has 4 studios, Sledgehammer has 4 studios, Treyarch and Raven have one studio but hundreds of employees, Bungie has 1,300 employees. Dice has two studios.

Imagine Certain Affinity acquired by Activision before the deal closes and Activision cancels all their projects and moves them over to CoD.

Oh God don't even joke like that  

What's crazy is that other XGS are opening up support studios or additional studios. inXile has 2 offices now, Undead Labs opened up its own support studio. So what gives 343?!? Maybe it is Frankie that you were mentioning just is mishandling management severely. The last thing 343 should be talking about is having to reallocate resources. Words like that should never be uttered by a flagship studio for a flagship IP. I think we've mentioned this before, but it just seems like Halo is no longer viewed as highly by Microsoft anymore. Despite Infinite still being on the Xbox Series packaging! 

halo infinite release has been a disaster and such a disappointment for my son. I was looking forward to playing split screen co op with him but now that it's canceled I will probably just delete the game

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
smroadkill15 said:

I voted exclusives. Not only are they Day 1, but they also stay on Game Pass indefinitely so it's the best of both worlds.

Oops, I meant to frame it more as one or the other, so if you pick exclusives you consider exclusivity more important than the game releasing day one into Game Pass, essentially it's a choice of one or the other, either exclusives or day one game pass, can't have both.

For example do you consider CoD going exclusive more important to you than it remaining multiplatform but launching day one into Game Pass.

Gotcha. Well, I would pick day 1 releases for now. In a year or 2 once their 1st party starts hitting on all cylinders, then I would switch to exclusives. 

I find it kind of amusing how many content creators and redditors on Halo's subreddit are claiming to uninstall Halo Infinite and to switch to Destiny 2 as if it's in any way, shape, or form close to the same kind of game lol.

gtotheunit91 said:

I find it kind of amusing how many content creators and redditors on Halo's subreddit are claiming to uninstall Halo Infinite and to switch to Destiny 2 as if it's in any way, shape, or form close to the same kind of game lol.

I'm not sure why people have to announce they are switching games. Actions speak louder than words. If anything, they should play Splitgate. 

smroadkill15 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I'm not sure why people have to announce they are switching games. Actions speak louder than words. If anything, they should play Splitgate. 

It's funny you mention Splitgate actually lol

Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

If anyone is leaving Halo Infinite's PVP specifically for Destiny's PVP then they're going to be massively disappointed

In more ways than one and just from a content perspective Destiny's PVP is a barren wasteland compared to Halo Infinite's PVP lol