By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Bethesda Officially Joins Xbox | Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

In the third episode of the 'Dreadnought Developer Diaries' we take a closer look at the art process behind Project: Mara, we see the various techniques and tools used by the team to capture reality and create our most ambitious and realistic game setting ever.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 18 January 2021

Around the Network

Have a feeling Project Mara could release this year and potentially be one of the titles Jez was talking about, the entire game set inside a single apartment, it seems like Tameem and Nina aren't having to socially distance either, Lol, all the recording is happening inside the apartment and focused on a single character, at the very least it will definitely release before Hellblade II.

Also I wish more Xbox studios released short development update videos like this every few months or so, it's interesting to see.

We are getting to a stage where games look better than irl depending on the time of day.

InkIt said:

We are getting to a stage where games look better than irl depending on the time of day.

Yeah, I remember watching a youtube video that was a comparison of an airport landing in Flight Sim vs a video somebody recorded out their plane window of a landing at the same airport in real life. The flight sim version actually looked better than real life for much of the video, until the plane got very close to the ground. Project Mara's recreation also looks better than the real life version in some places. 

Mara looks great. Hopefully the content is as good as it looks.

Around the Network

I had no idea what Project Mara was.. Well, I still have no idea actually :) But this tech looks cool.
Also, shame on me probably but I never realized that Ninja Theory was one of the acquired studios lol

Imaginedvl said:

I had no idea what Project Mara was.. Well, I still have no idea actually :) But this tech looks cool.
Also, shame on me probably but I never realized that Ninja Theory was one of the acquired studios lol

It’s an experimental psychological horror game where the the protagonist has a mental illness.

Ryuu96 said:

Have a feeling Project Mara could release this year and potentially be one of the titles Jez was talking about, the entire game set inside a single apartment, it seems like Tameem and Nina aren't having to socially distance either, Lol, all the recording is happening inside the apartment and focused on a single character, at the very least it will definitely release before Hellblade II.

Also I wish more Xbox studios released short development update videos like this every few months or so, it's interesting to see.

If one of the two 2021 games is Project Mara then Jez should just say so, the game has already been announced.

Imaginedvl said:

Project Mara is an experimental psychological horror game. It's part of the Insight Project, which is an initiative that Ninja Theory started with the University of Cambridge Psychology department after working with them on accurately portraying Senua's psychosis in Hellblade. Basically Project Mara is the first of several small psychological horror games that Ninja Theory will make as part of Insight Project, each one designed to focus on what it is like living with a different real world mental condition, based on stories that people who live with those conditions tell them. Project Mara is set entirely within a single penthouse style apartment, and based on what we've seen, Mara's particular condition seems to be that she is haunted by terrifying hallucinations and doesn't know what is real anymore. Each game in the project is designed to help those with mental conditions overcome their own fears, and to help destigmatize mental illness. 

Pretty cool project honestly, and it will be great for helping to keep up a steady supply of Gamepass releases, since these games are each designed to be short, probably 2 hours long tops; I imagine Ninja Theory will be able to release one every year, year and a half tops, once they get started with the first one. 

EspadaGrim said:
Ryuu96 said:

If one of the two 2021 games is Project Mara then Jez should just say so, the game has already been announced.

Jez said the two games were unannounced it seems. Didn't realize that until today. Kind of rules out Starfield and Project Mara being the two he was talking about. He also said at least two, meaning there could be more than 2 of course.

Horizon 5 seems very likely to be one of them considering it is unannounced and would have 3 years of development as a 2021 release, more than any previous Horizon game. No idea what the other could be, unless it is Wolfenstein 3, but releasing Wolfenstein 3 in 2021 feels a tad rushed considering that MachineGames resources have been split across multiple projects during it's development, first collaborating with Arkane Lyon on Wolfenstein Youngblood and Cyberpilot, then on Indiana Jones, and they only have around 130 devs.