By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network
twintail said:

gtotheunit91 said:

I haven't read this part on this site of the Brazil proceedings where Microsoft straight up says what Sony's winning formula against the likes of Game Pass would be. Thought it was pretty amusing.

“Sony could be able to leverage the high quality of their first-party games even more by making them available on PlayStation Plus at launch day. Such a strategy might be able to quickly speed up the growth of the service’s userbase as a response to the competitive pressure of Game Pass (or any other service) and [the strategy] is not adopted by Sony, even when it comes to the new and updated PlayStation Plus. Such a move by Sony could make PlayStation Plus even more attractive in order to be able to rival eventual strategies by competing game publishers—to the benefit of gamers.”

I mean, it's amusing because it's clearly not feasible.

Sony have already said in their financial investor meetings that they wouldn't be able to properly support such a scenario. They know their business. If moving to a gamepass subscription would be profitable for them, they most definitely would do it. They've crunched the numbers and and come to the conclusion that it would'n't be without their own content taking a potential hit, and considering how important the quality of their content is to their brand right now, it's not a risk worth taking.

It's amusing because one of their aguments against AB acquisition is their Game Pass concern. That it would take years to rival it. But it wouldn't if they'd be willing to take a risk. If they don't find it feasible then stfu, it's no-one elses concern they can't eat a cake and save it at the same time.

New Spyro? Or could Microsoft have licensed Banjo Kazooie to Toys for Bob prior to being put on the CoD machine? I guess it could be entirely possible that they'll put whatever CoD game they're working on as part of their portfolio lol

gtotheunit91 said:

Anyone interested in the potential of inXile working on a Dune RPG? I know the inXile twitter account likes to joke around, so those Dune tweets could be nothing, but Brian Fargo posted on his Twitter last November him meeting with David Lynch. He specifically pointed out for an hour. Sounds to meet like it was for business purposes rather than just to discuss creative stuff lol.

I do not think it's dune but hell I would be VERY happy if it was :)

twintail said:
Machiavellian said:

Could also come to Xcloud which would allow people with an Xbox to play it as well.  Would be interesting if that loophole got through.

That would def be something. I didn't consider that, but yeah it's as possibility. But I'd imagine that streaming rights would've been something Sony had in their contract when giving letting 505 get PC publishing rights (considering Sony had their own Now platform and other streaming platforms were popping up around the time).

gtotheunit91 said:

I haven't read this part on this site of the Brazil proceedings where Microsoft straight up says what Sony's winning formula against the likes of Game Pass would be. Thought it was pretty amusing.

“Sony could be able to leverage the high quality of their first-party games even more by making them available on PlayStation Plus at launch day. Such a strategy might be able to quickly speed up the growth of the service’s userbase as a response to the competitive pressure of Game Pass (or any other service) and [the strategy] is not adopted by Sony, even when it comes to the new and updated PlayStation Plus. Such a move by Sony could make PlayStation Plus even more attractive in order to be able to rival eventual strategies by competing game publishers—to the benefit of gamers.”

I mean, it's amusing because it's clearly not feasible.

Sony have already said in their financial investor meetings that they wouldn't be able to properly support such a scenario. They know their business. If moving to a gamepass subscription would be profitable for them, they most definitely would do it. They've crunched the numbers and and come to the conclusion that it would'n't be without their own content taking a potential hit, and considering how important the quality of their content is to their brand right now, it's not a risk worth taking.

Sony can pretty much say whatever they want in a financial meeting but if they did not produce any actual data to support it then it's just a opinion. Its not like someone is going to run the numbers without the data and hold them liable. The thing is, Sony does not have any interest in growing their service the same way MS does because they currently have a huge lead in the console market.  Now with selling their first party games at 70 bones, they have even less incentive.

Around the Network
twintail said:
KiigelHeart said:

It's amusing because one of their aguments against AB acquisition is their Game Pass concern. That it would take years to rival it. But it wouldn't if they'd be willing to take a risk. If they don't find it feasible then stfu, it's no-one elses concern they can't eat a cake and save it at the same time.

*shrugs*

if they're being asked to voice concerns then they should. Like, that's the entire point in having a forum for these companies to discuss whatever is being asked of them.

The fact that some of you seem to take issue with this is pretty wild imho.

at the end of the day, MS is acquiring a publisher that Sony works with on marketing deals (not just COD) to associate their games to their platform, and COD is one of the primary drivers to Sony's PSN revenue stream (their major income course). 
Whether they lose COD or not, having it added to GamePass will directly influence buying habits because of the lower barrier entry, which in turn negatively impacts their revenue and profits.

It's ok to think Sony are wrong. But I think it's strange that anyone feels they shouldn't be allowed to express concern when they've been asked to. 

I wouldnt be happy either if my income model was 70 bucks + sub fee and it becomes just a sub fee

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

coolbeans said:

Let's go with Gex Remastered Trilogy. 

I looked into it and apparently just a couple months ago, Jez Corden was teasing that TFB was working on a Crash Bandicoot party game. I immediately thought of Crash Bash, but he said it could also be a brawler.

twintail said:
Machiavellian said:

Sony can pretty much say whatever they want in a financial meeting but if they did not produce any actual data to support it then it's just a opinion. Its not like someone is going to run the numbers without the data and hold them liable. The thing is, Sony does not have any interest in growing their service the same way MS does because they currently have a huge lead in the console market.  Now with selling their first party games at 70 bones, they have even less incentive.

I don't think I fully agree with this. There's no denying the comfort of their current situation, but if they believed they could increase their profitability by going the GamePass route, they most definitely would. Why would they wait if a better opportunity was available to them? 

The obvious answer is that it's not nearly as viable an option as you think it would be. I agree with @Ryuu96 that Sony could establish a service that rivals GamePass, but the high potential losses that would naturally come for quite a few years would take a harder toll on Sony than it does on MS currently, and the last thing Sony as a whole needs is their PS division to start posting losses (or vastly decreased profit margins). MS are pretty safe regardless of the Xbox division's overall performance. 

Like I stated, without actual numbers we are all just guessing. No one knows if GP is losing money nor whether Sony would lose money if they followed GP.  Its not like putting their first party games on PS+ day one would suddenly stop those games from selling at retail.  I doubt even 35% of Sony customer base has PS+ but I would need to look at the numbers.

I am sure Sony doesn't need to provide all their first party games day one on their service because being the market leader easily provides them a wait and see tactic.  MS on the other hand is not just taking a risk, they are positioning their whole business behind gamepass.  Sony is protecting their markeplace dominance just like they have done with putting their games on the PC.  It took them all this time to trickle games to the PC but MS made this choice a while ago when they decided to forget the console war and place all of their first party games on PC as well as console.

I just believe that its a totally different strategy between the 2 companies instead of how much either is losing for their services.  Just think if Sony actually put all of their games on PC day one and on their PS+ service and expand that service to the PC community.  Sony would sub MS in a heartbeat and I can easily see them hitting over 150 million subs in less than a few years.  

Currently for Sony is to protect their current cash cow and that is the PS console system but market forces will force Sony hands sooner or later.  I believe their entry into making their first party games come to the PC is a stepping stone towards that future.  They are just willing to take it much slower.

Been continuing Red Dead 2 lately. What I really love is Quick Resume on it.

I forget how deep and authentic the game is. But that’s also why I stopped playing, just too much. But I’ve been doing story missions and not just roaming and they’re very good.

Ryuu96 said:

Shame TESO doesn't have a single region server, we could have created a guild for members in this thread but I don't know if you can create a guild and invite people not in your region in it, I know at the very least, you can't play together.

I might be full of shit, but I think you can pick your regional megaserver before you log in.  But, when you're in one region and playing in another, lag is an issue and so it may not be worth it anyways (competitive).  

As far as just doing some stealth ganking or some other shannigans, it would probably be cool af.  I would be all in.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.