By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:
EspadaGrim said:

Damn what shitty news to wake up with, MS better start scrambling to get more Day One releases on Gamepass right now. What crap luck too after both Stalker 2 and Atomic Heart release dates were affected by the war.

With these delays I expect the entire planned 2023 lineup to be pushed back to accommodate this with some potentially slipping into 2024.

Problem is, what day one AAA gamepass releases can they even get for 2022 at this point? Sony already locked down the 2 biggest AAA 3rd parties of the year with CoD and Hogwart's marketing, we know from Resident Evil 8 that Sony apparently makes their marketing deal publishers sign a 1 year agreement not to release their games on a competitor's service like Gamepass, Stadia+, Luna+, Games With Gold, or Epic's free games promotions. Sony has most likely already locked down Need For Speed marketing (as a counter to Forza Motorsport, assuming that Sony believed Xbox would release it this year), NBA 2K, and FIFA marketing as well. 

Out of the remaining AAA games confirmed for 2nd half 2023, that leaves:

• Saints Row- Likely going to flop hard with how disappointed many Saints fans are with the direction on this reboot, not worth what it would cost Xbox imo
  • Madden- Xbox will likely already have marketing rights on this like they usually do, but I don't know if they would go for a day one Gamepass Ultimate/EA Play deal on this, seems very unlikely.
  • Gotham Knights- Much like Saints Row, this seems likely to be a flop, considering the new gameplay yesterday has nearly as many dislikes as likes on Youtube, probably not worth what it would cost to get a day one deal on it.

Then there are the AAA games that have a possibility of making Holiday 2022 but aren't confirmed yet:

• Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora- Ubisoft just reconfirmed this for release in the 2nd half of the fiscal year (Q4 2022-Q1 2023), and Ubisoft will likely be aiming for November or December on it for a marketing tie-in with Avatar 2 releasing in theaters in December. Would definitely be a worthwhile day one Gamepass for Xbox, as it may end up being the 3rd bestselling game of the Holiday season behind CoD and Hogwarts, considering how popular Avatar is, maybe even has a chance of beating Hogwarts
  • Assassin's Creed Basim spinoff - This might be worth a day one Gamepass deal on, but I'm doubtful it will actually make 2022, most likely will be Holiday 2023 to make the game bigger, since it was originally just an expansion (and AC expansions are like 15 hours long at most, too short to be a full price game without being made larger)
  • Jedi Fallen Order 2- Would definitely be worthy of a day one Gamepass deal, but it seems unlikely to actually be a Holiday 2022 release, seeing as Schreier said it is 2022 or 2023, not just 2022

It doesn’t have to be AAA games, they just need to try to not have weak months, A Plague Tale Requiem is probably the biggest game that they will have for GamePass day one this year with Stalker/Atomic Heart/Starfield/RedFall all missing their release dates.

Three games that I can think of are SteelRising, Evil West and Crimson Desert(this one isn’t officially confirmed for 2022 though).

They can also pay 2K to put Wonderlands on Gamepass unless Sony has marketing for that game, same can be said for WB and Lego Star Wars.

Last edited by EspadaGrim - on 12 May 2022

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Also am I dumb in worrying that Bethesda didn't explicitly mention that the deep dive would be at the June showcase and only said "soon"? Lol.

Feels like an easy way to hype up the June showcase but it could just be a marketing miss, or it could mean it won't be at the June showcase.

Fuuuuuuuck you just gave me another thing to worry about

But I mean, where else would they have deep dives in that would get as many eyes as possible? I love Quakecon but it's a very niche convention. TGA is way too late for a deep dive. Unless Bethesda just posts 30 minute videos on theirs and Xbox's YouTube channels at some point in the not too distant future lol

shikamaru317 said:
Apparently you haven't realized that a great many people hate it. Every year they do more and more of these CG teasers and every year the comments are filled with "oh great, more CGI". It's ok to do a few teasers for upcoming games, but Xbox is going way overboard with them, anyone can see that. I count 13 first and 2nd party games that Xbox currently has announced which will most likely be releasing more than 24 months after their reveal, and I'd be willing to bet that they will have at least 3 or 4 more CGI trailers for games releasing 2024 or later at their Summer 2022 showcase.

I for one like to be surprised and hyped by game announcements, but Xbox is no longer doing that for me, because I can't get hyped very much by CGI, only by gameplay reveals. The best game announcements for me are the ones that are 6 months before release, your Fallout 4's and your Forza Horizon's, and your Assassin's Creeds. If you're bound and determined to to do early announces for investors or recruitment drives, at least get the developer to make a vertical slice gameplay demo or early in-engine trailer like Sony did on games such as Horizon Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2, and God of War Ragnarok years before they released. CGI is not hype worthy, anything in-engine is, that goes for both investors and potential employees they are looking to recruit, in addition to actual gamers. So far the only out of the 13 currently announced via teaser trailer games announced with in-engine were Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Everwild, and Forza Motorsport, the other 9 were all were CGI teasers. 

I don't think anything that happen before the game release matters at all. Your comment on Xbox not doing that for you is it based on Xbox game announcement or on Xbox lack of really great quality games? I can give you a list of all the great games that I played and really couldn't care less how it was announced.  Microsoff; especially last Gen; suffered from not having enough quality games. Hype, announcements, CGI vs Gameplay, delays all of this doesn't make a great game. 

People hate not having great games to play a lot more than CGI trailers. Microsoft was missing great games for their system and still have a long way to go to prove themselves. Microsoft never had this many games in development before and this many chances of actually getting great quality games. Vertical slice demo and in-engine trailer only add to the game development time. 

Except for Forza none of the top games on Xbox one were made by Microsoft. Microsoft is not missing In-engine trailer or demo of Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us 2 and God of war; what they are really missing is top AAA games like that list. 

Last edited by yvanjean - on 12 May 2022

List of games potentially releasing specifically in the early part or first half of 2023 is really starting to grow lol. So far we've got

Starfield
Redfall
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
Dead Space remake
Breath of the Wild 2
Contraband
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Skull and Bones
Stalker 2
Atomic Heart

And that's assuming other major titles like Hogwarts Legacy and Gotham Knights don't get delayed into the same timeframe.

Ryuu96 said:

Also am I dumb in worrying that Bethesda didn't explicitly mention that the deep dive would be at the June showcase and only said "soon"? Lol.

Feels like an easy way to hype up the June showcase but it could just be a marketing miss, or it could mean it won't be at the June showcase.

Now, I'm going to go into the June showcase with no expectations. Can't be disappointed if you're not expecting much :)

Around the Network

I will say that MS is definitely the worst offender (out of the big three) when announcing games with CGI trailers and then going several years before releasing the game. Nintendo does it rather sparingly and Sony probably more than Nintendo but less than MS. With that said, I can't say I'm THAT bothered by it largely due to the fact that there are plenty of other games releasing this year (mainly on the Switch) that I plan on picking up. It does suck though if you only play on Xbox.

What the hell is Bad Robot Games? I know it's a part of J.J. Abrams movie production studio, but the only game to this "studio's" credit is something called Action Movie FX.....only for iOS.....in 2011. Am I missing something here?

Ryuu96 said:

Think I'd like to work at Double Fine cause Tim Schafer seems like such a cool boss and genuinely nice guy, along with the long career, he is someone who has learnt from his mistakes, in particular around crunch where he admitted he participated in it and encouraged brutal crunch, now he's a big advocate of having no crunch, I think you could learn a lot from him and just have a lot of funny stories, Lol.

Could be an interesting question, if you could work at any Xbox Game Studio + Bethesda Game Studio, in any role, which would you choose and why?

That's an interesting question!

For me, either id Software or Obsidian. id purely for bias sake being from Dallas lol. Especially if John Carmack ever comes back. The legendary technical capabilities of the studio throughout the years is among the top of the top. The chance to also meet and greet fans at Quakecon and not to mention the FPS greatness I would help make. I would love to help work on that rumored Quake reboot! If you were from Dallas in the late 90s into the early 2000s, you knew about id. My first introduction to Quake was my schools computer lab our teacher was a huge id fan and he had every one of the computers with one of the original trilogy of Quake games even though we were far too young to playing these games lol. Not to mention local gaming events. Doesn't matter where in the DFW metroplex you were. If you were at some sort of gaming event that wasn't Quakecon, an id game is still what was being played. I got super excited when we moved 5 minutes from id Software's office despite it not meaning jack crap lol

Obsidian has soooooo many legendary RPG developers that I could learn so much from and hear so many stories going back to the original Fallout days. Being able to work on upcoming games like Avowed and Outer Worlds 2, working with Obsidian's top notch writers would just be a dream come true! I always see hundreds of tabletop games in Obsidian video backgrounds that I can picture after a long day of making a game, that we get to play a tabletop game afterwards lol. 

shikamaru317 said:
yvanjean said:

I don't think anything that happen before the game release matters at all. Your comment on Xbox not doing that for you is it based on Xbox game announcement or on Xbox lack of really great quality games? I can give you a list of all the great games that I played and really couldn't care less how it was announced.  Microsoft; especially last Gen; suffered from not having enough quality games. Hype, announcements, CGI vs Gameplay, delays all of this doesn't make a great game. 

People hate not having great games to play a lot more than CGI trailers. Microsoft was missing great games for their system and still have a long way to go to prove themselves. Microsoft never had this many games in development before and this many chances of actually getting great quality games. Vertical slice demo and in-engine trailer only add to the game development time. 

Except for Forza none of the top games on Xbox one were made by Microsoft. Microsoft is not missing In-engine trailer or demo of Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us 2 and God of war; what they are really missing is top AAA games like that list. 

Just referring to the announcements here, Xbox is still releasing games I like. The only CGI trailers out of the ones Xbox/Bethesda have done so far for unreleased games that actually got me hyped were the Fable one, the Elder Scrolls 6 one, and the Outer Worlds 2 one. The Fable one was able to hype me up because the series had been dead for so long and they nailed the trademark Fable humor in the teaser. The Elder Scrolls one hyped me up simply because it is one of my favorite series and developers (though in retrospect I wish Bethesda hadn't announced it so early, at this point we are looking at 8 years between announce and release on it, the same as Cyberpunk 2077, and just like Cyberpunk 2077 gamers will be expecting it to be the 2nd coming of Jesus after waiting so long for it and it will come nowhere close to living up to the hype as a result). The Outer Worlds 2 one got me hyped because they were actually making fun of how many CGI trailers Xbox has been pumping out, as well as because the first game was very good.

The rest of the CGI trailers so far were largely disappointing to me. I know nothing about how Indiana Jones will play or who will be voicing/mo-capping Indy, essential information before I can get hyped. Avowed one was ok but it didn't build all that much hype for me compared to what an in-engine trailer would have done. Redfall CG trailer was really quite poor, the game is nothing like what I expected after seeing the Dishonored + Vampire leaks from insiders which had me expecting Arkane's take on Vampyr or Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, instead we got guns, cringey gen z aimed characters and dialogue, and a heavy co-op focus. Contraband one was ok, but I need to see gameplay on it before I can get hyped. State of Decay 3 was just more state of decay 3, I need to see that they will fix the issues with graphics and story from the 2nd one, and the teaser doesn't show me that.

To me the Redfall CG trailer was a bust since what they shown had me really disappointed and I was not interested in the game. But, turn out the game is actually the type of game I would really enjoy playing. But then again people need to understand these are simply marketing tools and doesn't reflect final product. Microsoft as actually made progress in letting you know if the trailer behind shown is actually in-engine.  

The biggest problem is people making their buying decision on hype rather than informing themselves. The people that got burn on Cyberpunk 2077 and demanded a refund deserve to lose their money for pre-ordering something that was unknown. There is no scarcity in video games release anymore there is absolutely zero reason to pre-order and review come out on the same day of release if not a few days before game release. 

Anyone can get hype on anything but if you were to make a recommendation base solely on CG trailer you should revalue your own integrity. A game like State of Decay 3, you should at least know what to expect and is often why sequel are better received compare to unknown new IPs.  I'm hype for State of Decay 3 but that's only because I've been playing crap load of State of Decay 2 and seeing the care they put in supporting and updating that game. Unfortunately, State of Decay 3 is still in pre-development as per that Kotaku article and no one should be expecting that game any time soon. 

There also the entire social problem with game development mismanagement, burnout, crunch time and misogyny that plague the industry. Everyone always get upset, shocked and wants these problem to go away. You ear a lot of people not wanting to support publisher like EA, Ubisoft or anyone caught having any of these issues. Well fixing all these issues that is affecting game development will result in much longer development time. People are upset from this Redfall and Starfield delays but what that mean is that Microsoft or Bethesda has made the decisions to not crunch and burnout the employees. 

Maybe this works faster than Google and MS Support...

I got a Series X, pressed some button and it said it uploaded a screenshot somewhere. Where did it upload it to so I can delete it lol. I turned the auto upload stuff off after finding it in settings, but it doesn't say where they go.

Awesome machine but wow I thought the UI in GT7 was bad :/ I'm having lots of issues navigating around the dash board. For example how do you put it in standby mode so it keeps downloading? I wanted to continue with Forza 7 today which let me play a bit yesterday but then it had to download more. I turned the box off expecting it to keep downloading the game, it didn't. So where the heck is this standby mode? I only see turn off as an option.under power.

Also my kid wanted to try Forza 7 but it said it would erase my save if he would start the game. Is that because it wasn't fully downloaded yet? Or because it was in quick resume on my name. (As I said I just turned the box off, no idea it would put it in quick resume. How do you turn that off if that's what's preventing other accounts to use a game)