By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Same here on the Series X design, at first I was like WTF is this but now I really dig it especially since the design benefits customization.

Around the Network

I thought it looked good at first and still do.

The most interesting question about the storage is will there be any slot for proprietary external SSD disc which MS will sell as addon for the console? Because it seems like a waste to install next gen games on an external HDD. I'm not even sure if this will work at all if next gen games will be designed with SSD and fast load times in mind.

shikamaru317 said:

I'm a function over form kind of guy, so I'm very happy that MS went with a case design that allows a 140mm fan personally. The bigger the fan, the slower it needs to spin to exhaust hot air, the slower the fan speed, the less noise it produces. After my jet engine PS4 Pro, I'm ready to have a quiet console again. The looks aren't exactly bad either, the system is sleek, and I love the concave vent at the top with the green lighting.

Definitely interested to see what Series S will look like though. Will it also offer a tower design, or will it have a more traditional, entertainment center shelf friendly, flat design like Xbox One?

I hope it is not as big as Series X at least. I really want to see a somewhat compact next gen console as I need to travel for work purposes nowadays and spend a lot of time outside of my home. So, I personally am interested in MS two SKU strategy if one of them is way more smaller than the other. I'll just buy Series X for home and Series S as a secondary console to bring with me on the trips.

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
The most interesting question about the storage is will there be any slot for proprietary external SSD disc which MS will sell as addon for the console? Because it seems like a waste to install next gen games on an external HDD. I'm not even sure if this will work at all if next gen games will be designed with SSD and fast load times in mind.

I believe it was digital foundry who speculated that Series X will have a special cartridge slot on the back, which would allow you to buy special SSD cartridges that could plug into an extra PCI express slot on the back. I hope that is true, it would be nice to have upgrade-able storage, those 1 TB drives that it will come with will fill up pretty quickly when we already have some current gen games like RDR2 that are over 100 GB. I suspect the average AAA game size to go from about 30-40 GB this gen to about 60-70 GB personally, with some well over 100 GB. And using a USB 3.0 based external hard drive would kill load times and affect game performance, giving you texture pop-in issues and such. Even USB 3.2 isn't fast enough to not handicap an NVMe SSD, I think 3.2 is only 2500 MB/s at max, and some of the NVMe SSD's are at like 3500 GB/s in read speeds. 

Average game the last few years have been 60-80GBs. Next gen average is gonna be at least 120-130 a few years in.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:

Average game the last few years have been 60-80GBs. Next gen average is gonna be at least 120-130 a few years in.

Has it been? I thought I've noticed the sizes getting a bit smaller the last few years, thanks to developers getting better at compressing the files. For instance Capcom just announced Res 3 Remake + the Resistance multiplayer mode will only be about 43GB on Xbox One, with Res 3 Remake only taking up 22 GB if you choose not to install the multiplayer. 

Checking Xbox Store right now, I see FIFA 20 at 42 GB, Madden 20 at 43 GB, NFS Heat at 28 GB, Sekiro at 12 GB, Plants vs Zombies BFN at 24 GB, Jedi Fallen Order at 48 GB, Far Cry 5 at 46 GB, The Outer Worlds at 36 GB, Greedfall at 12 GB, Kingdom Hearts 3 at 37 GB, Mortal Kombat 11 at 48 GB. 

The main problem seems to be some of the open world games. Some, like Witcher 3 aren't huge, it comes in at a surprisingly small 40 GB, but AC Odyssey with DLC is 140 GB, RDR2 is 101 GB. Many others falling 60-70 GB range. There's also CoD MW at a ridiculous 150 GB, and that's not an open world game, I guess Acti hasn't heard of compression (it's double the file size of DICE's Battlefield V). 

Maybe it's just looter shooters and FPS (my go to games) have been constantly being on the larger end. MW is 106gb on xbox one not 150.

shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:

Maybe it's just looter shooters and FPS (my go to games) have been constantly being on the larger end. MW is 106gb on xbox one not 150.

NVM, I was looking at the battle pass edition which includes the DLC maps. 

The DLC maps are free. The game is currently 106gb unless I'm missing something. 

GTA V still appears on the weekly, monthly and yearly charts for best selling games on almost every country. Don't know where this "everyone who want it already got it" coming from.

Anyway, it will change the mentality of customer regarding Game Pass. When Microsoft start showing Halo, Witcher, Gears, Fallout, Forza, GTA and so on, people were not convinced by Game Pass will  think differently now. The franchise os this powerful. 

Some casuals might even ask what is Game Pass after reading/hearing the news. They never paid attention to it before.

Last edited by I LOVE GIGGS - on 03 January 2020

Ryuu96 said:

I'm pretty sure the license for MechWarrior expires this year between Microsoft and Piranha Games. Idk what Microsoft plans on doing with it but if they license it out again they better at least put a clause on the contract that requires an Xbox port, Lol. I also think Microsoft should invest a little more into it if they do, Piranha Games seems willing to do so but Microsoft has no reason to put any financial backing into it as it's only licensed out.

i would LOVE an accessible, simple port of Mechwarrior Mercenaries. 

I don't wish to see the PC version dumbed down. I used to love it and don't want to deny people that. But to play it properly just requires a time commitment I can rarely make these days.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Ryuu96 said:

I'm pretty sure the license for MechWarrior expires this year between Microsoft and Piranha Games. Idk what Microsoft plans on doing with it but if they license it out again they better at least put a clause on the contract that requires an Xbox port, Lol. I also think Microsoft should invest a little more into it if they do, Piranha Games seems willing to do so but Microsoft has no reason to put any financial backing into it as it's only licensed out.

MS needs to take full advantage of MechWarrior, Freelancer and ShadowRun IP, that's three potential AAA franchises for next gen.

Last edited by EspadaGrim - on 04 January 2020