By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Honestly, if MS doesn't put on this damn show until late July, then I really seriously question all these people who have come out and said that MS is so sad they didn't get to go "own" E3 this year. If you need like 2 extra months practically to put this shit together, then what exactly were you really going to have ready at E3, had it actually taken place? Phil was the one who said that the games expected to release later this year, and early next year weren't all that affected by this COVID situation to begin with. And as for anything you might wanna show that's a ways further off than that, what were you ever realistically going to show anyway? A teaser? An in engine trailer? A tiny sample of alpha build footage? Accompanied perhaps by someone from the studio talking about the vision for their project....

I'm struggling to understand what's causing them to drag their feet so much.

Around the Network

quite sure you dont just kill of the tyranids that easily seeing as they come from andromeda

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Angelus said:
Honestly, if MS doesn't put on this damn show until late July, then I really seriously question all these people who have come out and said that MS is so sad they didn't get to go "own" E3 this year. If you need like 2 extra months practically to put this shit together, then what exactly were you really going to have ready at E3, had it actually taken place? Phil was the one who said that the games expected to release later this year, and early next year weren't all that affected by this COVID situation to begin with. And as for anything you might wanna show that's a ways further off than that, what were you ever realistically going to show anyway? A teaser? An in engine trailer? A tiny sample of alpha build footage? Accompanied perhaps by someone from the studio talking about the vision for their project....

im quite sure they do this because they are removing the discdrive from the SeriesS as we speak

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Angelus said:

im quite sure they do this because they are removing the discdrive from the SeriesS as we speak

I doubt it. Everyone who's talked about this event has talked about it being strictly a games event, and that we should expect pretty much no hardware talk, no studio acquisition talk, etc. Nothing but games.

Angelus said:
kirby007 said:

I doubt it. Everyone who's talked about this event has talked about it being strictly a games event, and that we should expect pretty much no hardware talk, no studio acquisition talk, etc. Nothing but games.

hell maybe they try simulate the draught we will get next gen?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

A few possibilities I can think of for the delay:

1. After seeing that Sony had actual Horizon 2 gameplay footage ready for their show, a late 2021 or early 2022 game, and MS was only planning CGI or in-engine teasers for their late 2021-2022 games, MS decided that they need actual gameplay footage for some of those late 2021-2022 projects like Playground RPG, The Initiative, Obsidian AAA, and Hellblade 2, and are pushing those teams to get actual good looking gameplay trailers ready before the show.

2. After seeing that Sony had several 3rd party moneyhats on their show (Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire, Project Athia) with rumors of more big 3rd party moneyhats coming in their August State of Play (like FF16 and SF6), Phil finally decided that he needed to open up his wallet and moneyhat a few bigger 3rd parties himself, but needed some extra time to make those deals happen before the July show.

3. Phil wanted to acquire a few extra studio before the July show, but needed a bit more time to make those deals happen so that they could be announced on the July show

4. Coronavirus hurt MS alot more than they claimed and had them several months behind schedule

Hopefully it is one or more of the first 3 reasons, and not number 4. 

1. We must have seen different shows. I saw no Horizon 2 gameplay.

2. The way MS has been talking about the July event, I'm rather skeptical they'll have any 3rd parties there. 

3. Nah.

4. Probably. 

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

1. We must have seen different shows. I saw no Horizon 2 gameplay.

2. The way MS has been talking about the July event, I'm rather skeptical they'll have any 3rd parties there. 

3. Nah.

4. Probably. 

1. Pretty sure there was some gameplay snippets mixed in with cutscene stuff, for instance the shot of Aloy swimming and the shot of Aloy riding a robot across the plains. They were filmed from cinematic camera angles, but are believed to have been recorded using developer tools from actual gameplay footage. Either way, it was either in-engine and gorgeous or in-game and gorgeous, CGI teasers for Fable, Perfect Dark, and Obsidian AAA won't cut the mustard, so MS may have needed extra time to get in-engine or gameplay trailers ready for those 3.

2. I find that unlikely personally. MS has only announced 3 new big 3rd party marketing deals so far this year, for Dirt, Madden, and Assassin's Creed. MS usually has more than that each year, marketing wise, plus they haven't announced any big Q1-Q2 2021 marketing deal games yet. We know of several 3rd party games yet to be announced that are expected to release in Q1-Q2 2021 (such as Far Cry 6 and Harry Potter RPG), surely MS will have some of those 3rd parties on the July show.

3. Remember, it was insiders who said not to expect acquisitions on the July show, and these insiders seem more and more like they are just making up BS at this point, maybe MS has kept a much tighter lid on this show than earlier MS shows, and the insiders are just making up BS to make it seem like they know more about the show than they actually do. I would be surprised if MS has made no new acquisitions since Double Fine a year ago, since we know that MS has been actively seeking new acquisitions that whole time. Acquisitions are too big to announce on some random Insider Xbox between now and launch, surely if they have some they will be on the huge July show. 

Let's suppose this is true, which is debatable, because every single thing they showed in that trailer could very easily be from some assortment of cutscenes or whatnot...but putting that aside, it would NEVER be called showing gameplay if MS did what you just described for anything they're showing. So I'm sure as hell not going to call it gameplay if Sony does it either.

shikamaru317 said:
Thought of one other possibility for the late show:

MS was originally planning to release Forza Motorsport 8 in 2020, but Turn 10 needed more time, so Motorsport 8 got delayed from November 2020 to probably September 2021, and Horizon 5 got bumped up from September 2021 to November 2020. Because they suddenly had 10 less months to work on Horizon 5, Playground has to rush to get Horizon 5 ready in time, which means they needed an extra month or two to get a good gameplay presentation ready for Horizon 5. This would explain the recent huge uptick in hiring at the Playground racing studio, Playground needed more developers to compensate for having less time to meet their original planned vision for Horizon 5.

I doubt Playground can scrap a whole year development on short notice, even with more developers. And if they try it, we'll probably play a bug-ridden beta-version.

Thanks, but no thanks!

I would like to get Phil's specific word on when I can expect to see some shit.

What’s with the uncertainly on Forza releases? I always thought it was Turn 10 that needed the extra time with a ground up next gen Forza. One I’d definitely releasing this year. Either:

Forza 8 holiday 2020/Horizon 5 holiday 2021
Forza Horizon 2020/Forza 8 2021

I think it’s the former. Forza Motorsport will have spent 3 years in development. It’s never, ever been that long between releases. Horizon 5 should get 3 years instead of 2 to really polish their next gen open world racer.

But even the latter I can see. Playground has never had trouble sticking to a strict 2 year timetable. And Turn 10 taking 4 years is unheard of, but that said if true it’s gonna be so good it’ll be objectively the best sim on the market.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.