Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Netflix Witcher? *Spoiler tags*

AngryJoe spoiler free review of season 1:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_m7-mV3w90

TLDR version:

They loved it but definitely noticed the flaws in the season. The strong points in their opinion were Geralt, Yennefer, most of the costume designs, and the fight scenes. The weak points in their opinion were the pacing, Triss, the Nilfgaard ballsack armor, the Ciri storyline being a bit weaker than the Geralt and  Yen storylines, and not enough focus being on Geralt.



Around the Network

I've only watched six episodes so far, but what I pleasant surprise this has been! I had low expectations but they mostly nailed it, especially casting. Pacing is a bit weird at times even though I appreciate the "disjointed" structure as it stays true to first novel. My wife and some friends who are not familiar with The Witcher loved it even though I was worried it could be too confusing.

9/10. Excellent!



shikamaru317 said:


Magic was lackluster. Most of the spells shown were underwhelming, with the main exception being when Yennefer let loose in the final episode. Pretty sure that Geralt only used 1 of the 8 Witcher signs the entire season, Aard, and he only used it a couple of times. I feel like Netflix didn’t give the show a big enough budget to CGI in more spells, hopefully Netflix invests more in season 2 so that we can get more CGI for spells.

He tries to use Axii on Renfri, it just doesn't work, on account of her being resistent to magic. He also uses some version of Quen, I believe, in order to seal himself in the tomb during episode 3, so the Striga can't force it open. It's also important for us game fans to note, that Geralt in the books isn't really the most amazing sign user among the witchers. Igni for instance, he rarely ever uses for more than starting campfires apparently. He's not exactly the walking flamethrower you can play in the video game. I do think it would be cool to increase his sign usage some in the show though. 



Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:


Magic was lackluster. Most of the spells shown were underwhelming, with the main exception being when Yennefer let loose in the final episode. Pretty sure that Geralt only used 1 of the 8 Witcher signs the entire season, Aard, and he only used it a couple of times. I feel like Netflix didn’t give the show a big enough budget to CGI in more spells, hopefully Netflix invests more in season 2 so that we can get more CGI for spells.

He tries to use Axii on Renfri, it just doesn't work, on account of her being resistent to magic. He also uses some version of Quen, I believe, in order to seal himself in the tomb during episode 3, so the Striga can't force it open. It's also important for us game fans to note, that Geralt in the books isn't really the most amazing sign user among the witchers. Igni for instance, he rarely ever uses for more than starting campfires apparently. He's not exactly the walking flamethrower you can play in the video game. I do think it would be cool to increase his sign usage some in the show though. 

Don't remember that attempted Axii usage, but I do remember him using Quen in the tomb now. I recently read that Henry Cavill said that he fought for increased sign usage because he knew the fans would want it, but seems like he got overridden based on how how few signs there are in season 1. That Ghoul/Nekker fight in the last episode would have been the perfect opportunity for him to use Igni since both are weak to fire, but sadly he fought them with nothing but melee. I would also like to see him use his 2 defensive spells, quen and heliotrop, in combat more often next season, and seeing him successfully use Axii and Yrden at least once next season would be cool. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 27 December 2019

Some good news for the future of the series. Netflix hasn't released streaming numbers yet, but a 3rd party tracking firm is saying that it was the 3rd most watched streaming show for the week that it released, only behind Stranger Things and The Mandalorian. This is a good sign for sure, as the showrunner of The Witcher said she has 7 seasons planned, but Netflix has a habit of cancelling shows after 2 or 3 seasons, because all they care about is gaining new subscribers, and new seasons of old shows are less likely to bring in new subscribers than entirely new shows. However, Netflix makes an exception to that rule if a show is popular enough, so let us hope that we get all 7 seasons of the The Witcher.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Some good news for the future of the series. Netflix hasn't released streaming numbers yet, but a 3rd party tracking firm is saying that it was the 3rd most watched streaming show for the week that it released, only behind Stranger Things and The Mandalorian. This is a good sign for sure, as the showrunner of The Witcher said she has 7 seasons planned, but Netflix has a habit of cancelling shows after 2 or 3 seasons, because all they care about is gaining new subscribers, and new seasons of old shows are less likely to bring in new subscribers than entirely new shows. However, Netflix makes an exception to that rule if a show is popular enough, so let us hope that we get all 7 seasons of the The Witcher.

That is my fear, cancelling the show, they cancelled  marco polo show , a show that was amazing but i dont know If people watch it as Much. Its sad that we probably Will not get another season Next year... The second season is probably 2021... That is why i think the Ciro casting was bad, She looks almost same age as yen now i n interviews 😂



 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
shikamaru317 said:

Some good news for the future of the series. Netflix hasn't released streaming numbers yet, but a 3rd party tracking firm is saying that it was the 3rd most watched streaming show for the week that it released, only behind Stranger Things and The Mandalorian. This is a good sign for sure, as the showrunner of The Witcher said she has 7 seasons planned, but Netflix has a habit of cancelling shows after 2 or 3 seasons, because all they care about is gaining new subscribers, and new seasons of old shows are less likely to bring in new subscribers than entirely new shows. However, Netflix makes an exception to that rule if a show is popular enough, so let us hope that we get all 7 seasons of the The Witcher.

That is my fear, cancelling the show, they cancelled  marco polo show , a show that was amazing but i dont know If people watch it as Much. Its sad that we probably Will not get another season Next year... The second season is probably 2021... That is why i think the Ciro casting was bad, She looks almost same age as yen now i n interviews 😂

Yeah, I agree that casting a 17 year old as Ciri, when she was supposed to be 11 in this season, was a mistake. She won't get much taller than she is now unless she was a super late puberty starter, so she will basically be 5'3" for the rest of the show, quite a bit shorter than the Ciri from the games, who was like 5'10". 

Spoiler!
I think I know why they did it though, by the time season 3 hits they should be to the point in the storyline where Ciri is with the Rats, and she has a sexual relationship with Mistle when that happens. I guess they wanted an actress who was old enough to do on-screen sex scenes when they reach that point of the show, and if they had cast an actual 11 year old actress she would not be old enough to do sex scenes by season 3. But they could always have used a body double, body doubles for sex scenes are quite common. 
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 27 December 2019

shikamaru317 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

That is my fear, cancelling the show, they cancelled  marco polo show , a show that was amazing but i dont know If people watch it as Much. Its sad that we probably Will not get another season Next year... The second season is probably 2021... That is why i think the Ciro casting was bad, She looks almost same age as yen now i n interviews 😂

Yeah, I agree that casting a 17 year old as Ciri, when she was supposed to be 11 in this season, was a mistake. She won't get much taller than she is now unless she was a super late puberty starter, so she will basically be 5'3" for the rest of the show, quite a bit shorter than the Ciri from the games, who was like 5'10". 

Spoiler!
I think I know why they did it though, by the time season 3 hits they should be to the point in the storyline where Ciri is with the Rats, and she has a sexual relationship with Mistle when that happens. I guess they wanted an actress who was old enough to do on-screen sex scenes when they reach that point of the show, and if they had cast an actual 11 year old actress she would not be old enough to do sex scenes by season 3. But they could always have used a body double, body doubles for sex scenes are quite common. 

That, and it's really hard finding good child actors. Much easier to simply cast someone a bit older and age them down via make-up, editing, etc. Height isn't really an issue either. The guy who played Gimli in LotR was like the tallest person on set and his character, obviously, was a dwarf.