By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts September 2019 Discussion Thread

You can read the complete Article #12 and Analysis here:

Xbox One vs Xbox 360 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – September 2019

Xbox One Vs. Xbox 360 USA:

Gap change in latest month: 306,079 – X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,277,996 – X360

Total Lead: 2,572,402 – X360

Xbox One Total Sales: 25,821,271

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 28,393,673

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

I had no idea the X1 was ahead of the 360 for a while.
Did the 360 have a generally slow start, or was the X1 doing very well in the US until recently?

morenoingrato said:
I had no idea the X1 was ahead of the 360 for a while.
Did the 360 have a generally slow start, or was the X1 doing very well in the US until recently?

The Xbox One had a really strong start, while the Xbox 360 did have a slow start. There was an 8 year gap between the launch of the Xbox 360 to the launch of the Xbox One. However, there will be a 7 year gap to the release of the Xbox Scarlett. The Xbox 360 also had a strong boost in sales due to the release of the Kinect, while the Xbox One sales have been on the decline. That is the main cause for the huge drop in Xbox One sales compared to Xbox 360 sales in recent months on the graph chart. 

The boost you see in favor of the Xbox One around month 49 is due to the launch of the Xbox One X. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox One is really running out of gas this year; its the tortoise and the hare.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Xbox One is really running out of gas this year; its the tortoise and the hare.

That is a good way to describe it. A strong start following the success of the Xbox 360, but not having the legs due to the lack of first-party support and no Kinect. Microsoft with all the studio acquisitions should have more games next generation that will help sell the Xbox Scarlett and push Game Pass.

Around the Network

To second a request from the article on 360 vs Xbone, how about a gap chart for PS3 vs Xbone in the US?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

You can read the complete Article #13 and Analysis here:

PS4 vs PS3 in Japan – VGChartz Gap Charts – September 2019

PS4 Vs. PS3 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 29,947 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 194,780 – PS3

Total Lead: 141,190 – PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 8,430,306

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 8,289,116

curl-6 said:
To second a request from the article on 360 vs Xbone, how about a gap chart for PS3 vs Xbone in the US?

That should be a more interesting article. I can add that to the list and have it posted later on for the September 2019 articles. I have several US and Japan articles, but none for Europe (or UK or France or Germany). I am trying to think of any possibly good Gap Charts. Any ideas? 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

That should be a more interesting article. I can add that to the list and have it posted later on for the September 2019 articles. I have several US and Japan articles, but none for Europe (or UK or France or Germany). I am trying to think of any possibly good Gap Charts. Any ideas? 

Cool. :) As ever, if I can think of any I'll post them here. 

trunkswd said:

PS4 Vs. PS3 Japan:

PS3 is catching up; PS4 sales have dropped off to sustained sub-10k levels in Japan by now, I'm no longer confident PS4 can pass PS3's lifetime Japanese total.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Cool. :) As ever, if I can think of any I'll post them here. 

trunkswd said:

PS4 Vs. PS3 Japan:

PS3 is catching up; PS4 sales have dropped off to sustained sub-10k levels in Japan by now, I'm no longer confident PS4 can pass PS3's lifetime Japanese total.

The PS4 vs PS3 in Japan has been far more interesting than I was originally thinking. Goes to show while the PS4 did better than the PS3 worldwide, but in Japan they are neck and neck when you align the launches.