Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rank the Soulslikes You've Played

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Sekiro
Dark Souls
Nioh
Code Vein
Dark Souls 2

I only really class games that heavily use the DS template as souls like tbh.

Around the Network

Bloodborne, Sekiro, Dark Souls III, and Dark Souls Remastered are four of my top ten games of the decade! Strange, considering I was afraid to play the series when Dark Souls came out in 2011.

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

Runa216 said:
Bloodborne, Sekiro, Dark Souls III, and Dark Souls Remastered are four of my top ten games of the decade! Strange, considering I was afraid to play the series when Dark Souls came out in 2011.

Yeah Dark souls got me kinda pissed at it when it came out,did not play it again after that between 6 months and a year and when i picked it up again i suddenly did understand how to play it and had a great time .

Immersiveunreality said:
Runa216 said:

Yeah Dark souls got me kinda pissed at it when it came out,did not play it again after that between 6 months and a year and when i picked it up again i suddenly did understand how to play it and had a great time .

I think I mentioned this flow in the past on this thread, but: 

1 - Played Demon's Souls back in 2011 for fun, but then started working for VGC as a reviewer so I had to put it down. Didn't play Dark Souls when it came out. 

2 - Played Bloodborne in 2015 right when it came out despite not even knowing at the time that it was Souls Adjacent. Loved it, but only after I forced myself to beat it once (I didn't much care for it on my first attempt). 

3 - Immediately tried playing Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First sin and HATED it. slow, sluggish, felt weird, but at the time I chalked it up to simply being not as fast as bloodborne.

4 - Played Dark Souls III and loved it. It wasn't AS fast as bloodborne, but it was still great and it felt like what I wanted out of a fantasy action game. 

5 - Played Dark Souls Prepare to Die on Ps3. Didn't much care for it. HAted half the areas and bosses, just thought it was too clunky and awkward and a little TOO obtuse. 

6 - Tried playing Dark Souls II again, still didn't like it. Gave up before reaching the first boss.

7 - Got platinum on Dark souls III, loved every second of it again. 

8 - When Dark Souls Remastered came out, I Gave it another shot. This time, without the hiccups of shitty framerate and a bit of knowledge about the game's obtuse nature and better online/quality of life improvements, I beat the game and fell in love with it. 

9 - Sekiro came out and I loved it instantly. Beat it twice, lent it to my brother, got it back,and got platinum. Absolutely loved this game. 

10 - Forced myself to play Dark Souls II and platinum it while hating every second of it. Not a good game, but I had platinum for Bloodborne, III, Remastered, and Sekiro, it would feel wrong to not also have Dark Souls II platinumed. 

I tried Dark Souls II multiple times, and each time approaching it with a fresh perspective. The first time I tried it, it was a disappointment becuase it wasn't as good as what would become my favourite game of the past decade. The second time was after beating it's sequel once. I tried I, then came back to II eventually having gotten platinum on all the other games (With me learnign to appreciate I's clunkiness once I beat it) and I still felt it was bad. 

All the other ones took me a bit of time to fall in love with sans Sekiro, so I figured I just needed to approach II in the right way. It was disappointing after bloodborne, disappointing after III, and even disappointing after the arguably clunkier and uglier and more obtuse original. something about it just felt wrong. Off. Bad. I do not understand why people like it and defend it. 

It is in my special hall of fame of 'games I hate in franchises I love', alongside Final Fantasy XIII, Mega Man X7, Mega Man (Original), Assassin's Creed Unity, Grand Theft Auto IV, Guitar Hero III, and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. 

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

*Looks at Blasphemous at the end*

.... For shame.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Bristow9091 said:

Nioh - I was in the beta for this, and not only did it kick my arse, it raped my unconscious body as it lay in a pool of its own blood, sweat and tears... tears from anger and frustration with how hard the game was for me to the point that I never even made it to the first real boss in the beta! ...then I ask why I decided to BUY it. Why? Because I did find chopping off limbs and shit to be really satisfying and I was craving a Samurai game. Shame I still have it in the wrapper, never opened. But until I do open and play it, I'll only have the memories of the beta to go off, lol.

... And that's my entire history and experience, rated from best to worst. Obviously the list could change if I decide to give Nioh a proper go, since people will probably hate me for having it below The Surge and Code Vein, but meh, it is what it is.

I'm bumping this thread to sort of rewrite my section on Nioh... 

Okay so I've put about 30 hours into the game now, on the third island (I know, I'm playing slow as fuck), have myself kitted out with purple Iga gear, the full set actually since the bonuses are nice, I'm running a Dex Ninjutsu build (Although wanting to get my Spirit up to switch Kato out for Aya-Komori) with the kusarigama, and... I'm actually having "fun" with the game now and can appreciate it more. I've had to put fun in quotation marks because it's not your typical fun, it's more... stressful fun, some enemies definitely feel OP as fuck (Yokai with the big tongue I'm looking at you), and the first time I fought Umi-bozu (The big black blob) he literally hyper beamed me into oblivion before I could take a step! Next time I started the fight I instantly dashed to the side... and he didn't even fucking use it!

So yeah... despite its difficulty, now that I've been playing it and gotten used to it with the stances and combos and stuff, I'd definitely put it ahead of what I played of The Surge and Code Vein, although I did only play their demos too, so it could move AGAIN if I ever get around to playing them properly, lol.

B-B-B-BUMP!

Right so here's the deal... I finally finished Nioh a few days ago. Finished at Lv. 122, kept with my Dex Ninjutsu build, switched to Aya-komori once I got it, and became an OP bastard with my Kunai and Shuriken, decent Kusarigama damage too, and started dabbling with Onmyo which definitely helped out.

Overall thoughts?

I've now got Nioh 2 preordered and will be playing the last chance demo on Friday. As it turns out, I LOVED Nioh, so much so that I'm actually super close to getting the platinum trophy, and once I'm done with my current game I'll be going back to clean up and pick it up. Hoping the season pass will go on sale once the second game comes out since I'd love to play even more, especially after the ending! The gameplay is just so satisfying and I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to the Souls games after playing this, it's faster paced, is so much more fluid, has more satisfying combat with stances and combos, and I just had a bigger sense of accomplishment when I finished levels and the game than I ever did with any of the previous games.

As of right now I'm bumping it to #2 on my list, only because Demon's Souls is probably my proudest platinum trophy as I did everything legit and spent so much time with it, and as mentioned I'd happily do it all again if it ever does get the remaster/remake treatment... that's if I can get back into the slower, more defensive, combat style, lol... probably not, but still;

I now love Nioh!