Forums - Sony Discussion - How would you feel if the PS5 dev kit design was actually the PS5 design?

Tagged games:

What do you think?

I would be fine with that 19 24.05%
 
It's irrelevant 9 11.39%
 
That looks pretty bad 15 18.99%
 
AMAZING! 8 10.13%
 
That s**t looks awful! 12 15.19%
 
Did we go back to the 90's? 3 3.80%
 
V for Vendetta 3 3.80%
 
Would rather have it look like a box 4 5.06%
 
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit 5 6.33%
 
Should continue to stack ... 1 1.27%
 
Total:79

Wrong Bralod's thread.



Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Wrong Bralod's thread.

lol



BraLoD said:

I just realised that what made it look so lame, at least to me, was the color scheme, and specially those blue lights coming out of it.

The V design actually looks cool to me, it reminds me the X shapped original XBOX which is one of my favorite designs.

So we have the X of the original Xbox and the V (or A?) of the PS5.

But don't forget the U of the Atari Jaguar!



Conina said:
BraLoD said:

I just realised that what made it look so lame, at least to me, was the color scheme, and specially those blue lights coming out of it.

The V design actually looks cool to me, it reminds me the X shapped original XBOX which is one of my favorite designs.

So we have the X of the original Xbox and the V (or A?) of the PS5.

But don't forget the U of the Atari Jaguar!

Do the math



Conina said:
EricHiggin said:

Holy crap. I totally missed that code. 

Good eye!

PS5016-E16. If this is just coincidence, it's one hell of a coincidence. lol

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14449/phisons-ps5016e16-ps5019e19-the-worlds-first-pcie-40-ssd-controllers

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is just a coincidence:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12292/phison-at-ces-2018-thunderbolt-ssds-secondgen-nvme-controllers

Phison's second generation of NVMe SSD controllers has been on the roadmap for quite a while, but now the products are starting to become a reality. The PS5008-E8 and its DRAMless -E8T variant are Phison's solution for the emerging low-end NVMe product segment. These controllers will be used with 3D TLC NAND flash memory, and their performance will be limited by the use of a PCIe 3 x2 interface instead of the x4 interface used by high-end NVMe drives.

Phison's PS5012-E12 controller is their high-end replacement for the current E7 controller, and it promises to bring much higher performance: over 3GB/s sequential transfers when paired with 64L 3D TLC NAND.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13080/the-phison-e12-nvme-ssd-controller-preview

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9982/ces-2016-phison-previews-upcoming-ssd-controllers

For 2016, the mainstay of Phison's controller lineup will continue to be the PS3110-S10, which has been used in drives sold by OCZ/Toshiba, Mushkin, Corsair, Zotac, Patriot, Kingston, PNY and others, and paired with both TLC and MLC NAND.

The much more exciting product is Phison's PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD controller, the PS5007-E7. The E7 controller is very close to launch and we've already seen numerous product announcements based on that platform.

I figured as much, but talking about the PS5 SSD, finding that article, posting it, and not realizing it actually has a product number with PS5 in it, then having someone else realize it and point it out, is just so weird and unlikely. Almost as if it was meant to be. lol



Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Conina said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is just a coincidence:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12292/phison-at-ces-2018-thunderbolt-ssds-secondgen-nvme-controllers

Phison's second generation of NVMe SSD controllers has been on the roadmap for quite a while, but now the products are starting to become a reality. The PS5008-E8 and its DRAMless -E8T variant are Phison's solution for the emerging low-end NVMe product segment. These controllers will be used with 3D TLC NAND flash memory, and their performance will be limited by the use of a PCIe 3 x2 interface instead of the x4 interface used by high-end NVMe drives.

Phison's PS5012-E12 controller is their high-end replacement for the current E7 controller, and it promises to bring much higher performance: over 3GB/s sequential transfers when paired with 64L 3D TLC NAND.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13080/the-phison-e12-nvme-ssd-controller-preview

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9982/ces-2016-phison-previews-upcoming-ssd-controllers

For 2016, the mainstay of Phison's controller lineup will continue to be the PS3110-S10, which has been used in drives sold by OCZ/Toshiba, Mushkin, Corsair, Zotac, Patriot, Kingston, PNY and others, and paired with both TLC and MLC NAND.

The much more exciting product is Phison's PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD controller, the PS5007-E7. The E7 controller is very close to launch and we've already seen numerous product announcements based on that platform.

I figured as much, but talking about the PS5 SSD, finding that article, posting it, and not realizing it actually has a product number with PS5 in it, then having someone else realize it and point it out, is just so weird and unlikely. Almost as if it was meant to be. lol

Don't mind him, it's all piecing together!

On a side note:



BraLoD said:
EricHiggin said:

I figured as much, but talking about the PS5 SSD, finding that article, posting it, and not realizing it actually has a product number with PS5 in it, then having someone else realize it and point it out, is just so weird and unlikely. Almost as if it was meant to be. lol

Don't mind him, it's all piecing together!

On a side note:

2:40-2:50



People should be more worried about the new patent showing what seems to be SSD expansion modules. If the base Ps5 wont come with a big enough SSD in order to be more affordable, players will need to buy such proprietary expansion cartridges. And anything proprietary is expensive. Like the 100 plus bucks Psvita memory cards. Design is the least of the worries.



CuCabeludo said:
People should be more worried about the new patent showing what seems to be SSD expansion modules. If the base Ps5 wont come with a big enough SSD in order to be more affordable, players will need to buy such proprietary expansion cartridges. And anything proprietary is expensive. Like the 100 plus bucks Psvita memory cards. Design is the least of the worries.

And the price tag do you suggest would they come with? A good 1TB SSD cost well over a hundred bucks. 200? 300? 400 for a 1TB PS5 SSD? Rather not. 



Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
CuCabeludo said:
People should be more worried about the new patent showing what seems to be SSD expansion modules. If the base Ps5 wont come with a big enough SSD in order to be more affordable, players will need to buy such proprietary expansion cartridges. And anything proprietary is expensive. Like the 100 plus bucks Psvita memory cards. Design is the least of the worries.

And the price tag do you suggest would they come with? A good 1TB SSD cost well over a hundred bucks. 200? 300? 400 for a 1TB PS5 SSD? Rather not. 

No idea, but if Sony really intends to sell SSD expansions and players have no other option because PS5 SSD is customized, forcing players to buy the Sony proprietary units, things will get expensive scary.