By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shawn Layden, Head Of PlayStation’s Game Studios, Departs

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
i hope the new face brings back conferences, this is why i dont give a fuck about this dude, we dont had a conference in ages and now we have this shit nintendo model of announcing games.

I do like conferences even if we can get all info segregatted and watch trailers on YT.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure you can ask for sources on the first. But the second one is quite obvious, if a big chunky of your team is made of unqualified people that were hired based on things other than skill/experience (1st point) then it is expected that the result will be worse than having a qualified team.

I highly doubt you can find documentation that proves they hired staff purely for diversity value at the absolute expense of skill/experience.

Perhaps he can or can't, who knows, there may be some devs spilling the beans on those forum that are to complain about the company you work at.

But we have seem several cases of company talking about diversity being more important than the skill/experience, because skill they could build and experience they would accumulate there. We even had a case in VGC of a user showing he got throw away from an interview because he replied to a question of if he thought diversity was more important than experience and he replied "company should hire whoever is more qualified". And we had a big discussion on VGC on how much value the diversity would bring to the team that made it more important than the knowledge.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

It could have gone down that way possibly.

I was basing it off of what was said about Shawn fighting for cross play. If there was a power struggle in general, and cross play wasn't going to happen if he couldn't get his way, if he is the type of person who has to have full control or nothing, or is contemplating retiring or moving on anyway, maybe both, he could have made a deal to have cross play become the norm across the platform, in exchange for his leaving and getting out of the way peacefully. Assuming cross play wouldn't be seen as a major loss to the business, and only a minor one, if at all of course. It could always be revoked when PS5 launches, and only remains on PS4 if the new leadership doesn't really want it, however they try to spin how and why they couldn't or wouldn't do it for next gen.

This would allow him to go out on a high note on his part, even though it's not something PS would really want to explain to the public. It's the kind of thing we would find out in an interview 10 years down the road, like how they opened up about PS3 and it's troubles after all these years. It would partially explain these news events coming out so close together, and the lack of explanation as to Shawn's departure.

Who knows?

Sorry but doesn't make much sense. He is a very high level corporate, so his contract and business ethics would already prevent him from bad mouthing Sony on the terms of his resignation. Don't see why they would have a truce proposition of "if you do what I'm asking for I'll leave the company".

I'm not saying he would try and smear PS, I'm saying if he was starting to hate his job because of the internal conflicts, and it didn't look like he had enough power or control to get his way in terms of what he wanted to implement, he could have decided to leave since he may be thinking it anyway, while getting something he wanted implemented in return for his departure.

I've been part of companies who've done some weird, odd, or downright stupid things before, just to clear up power struggles and major disagreements in management.

I could be wrong though, just figured it may be a possibility.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Perhaps he can or can't, who knows, there may be some devs spilling the beans on those forum that are to complain about the company you work at.

But we have seem several cases of company talking about diversity being more important than the skill/experience, because skill they could build and experience they would accumulate there. We even had a case in VGC of a user showing he got throw away from an interview because he replied to a question of if he thought diversity was more important than experience and he replied "company should hire whoever is more qualified". And we had a big discussion on VGC on how much value the diversity would bring to the team that made it more important than the knowledge.

I think we should have a better understanding of what companies mean when they say diversity is more important that skill/experience.

Some of us seem to believe this to mean that skill/experience is not important at all.  I'll provide a metric and scenario to illustrate what it actually means.

Position A requires Skill B.  The range of possible talent for Skill B could be put on a spectrum from 0 to 100. 0 being no skill at all and 100 being the best possible at said skill. 

Position A requires a 60 score of Skill B.  Now, when diversity becomes a hiring factor, that doesn't mean they will accept a diversity candidate if they do not possess a 60 score of the required skill.   If 2 candidates applied and one scores 70 and one scores 80, they both qualify and both will do a sufficient job for the position.  But if candidate 1 with the 70 score fit the diversity requirement over candidate 2 with the 80 score...candidate 1 will more likely get the job.

This is what is meant by diversity being important over skill/experience.

Yes, sure, snore... then let's just pretend quotas to fill doesn't exist or companies putting the "how diverse they are in percentage". Seems like you have worked to every single company in the HR and see how all of they hire right?

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry but doesn't make much sense. He is a very high level corporate, so his contract and business ethics would already prevent him from bad mouthing Sony on the terms of his resignation. Don't see why they would have a truce proposition of "if you do what I'm asking for I'll leave the company".

I'm not saying he would try and smear PS, I'm saying if he was starting to hate his job because of the internal conflicts, and it didn't look like he had enough power or control to get his way in terms of what he wanted to implement, he could have decided to leave since he may be thinking it anyway, while getting something he wanted implemented in return for his departure.

I've been part of companies who've done some weird, odd, or downright stupid things before, just to clear up power struggles and major disagreements in management.

Well I think it would be a hard thing, but sure I can't disprove the possibility existing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

Well I think it would be a hard thing, but sure I can't disprove the possibility existing.

Maybe we'll know the truth by PS7.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, sure, snore... then let's just pretend quotas to fill doesn't exist or companies putting the "how diverse they are in percentage". Seems like you have worked to every single company in the HR and see how all of they hire right?

Don, that's the very definition and function of diversity hiring. This is how it's done.  Everywhere.

I never said quotas don't exist or that companies do not tout how diverse they are.  I simply showed you how they make that diverse hire, how they attain their quotas, how they establish their diversity percentages.

You do realize you are on the verge of suggesting that diverse candidates cannot be both diverse and qualified, don't you? 

Nope I'm not in any verge. A candidate could be from a very poor background, be non-cis, non-white, non-cristian, etc and still be the best qualified one.

Still I gave you example of company that tossed out a candidate because he said on his test that qualification was more important than diversity. And you can't pretend that every HR will look at candidate filling out a minimum, because if for they to fill their quota they need to go below the minimum they will go. Plus HR are very limited on how they evaluate a candidate and seldom really comprehend the requirements of the position that need to hire.

Around the Network

So Shawn departs, and now a bunch more PS5 news get's officially released, along with everything else so recently?

Any chance he was known as Shawn 'the dam' Layden at PS?