Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 07 September 2019

Switch more than 5:1 over the Xbone, and regularly shaving 200k off the lifetime gap per week.

Gears 5 should give the Xbone a boost next week, but at this point I don't think anything can substantially alter its trajectory.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Wonder if (or if any) impact will be made by Borderlands 3. I think it'll help a bit, might see the PS4 above 250k or close to it.

I forgot to mention that I reckon the switch is over tracked (compared to vgchartz estimates) for Q2/2019 and ps4 undertracked for the same period (until know), just like happened with Q1/2019, but we will know at the end of October!!

curl-6 said:

Switch more than 5:1 over the Xbone, and regularly shaving 200k off the lifetime gap per week.

Gears 5 should give the Xbone a boost next week, but at this point I don't think anything can substantially alter its trajectory.

The thing is though, Switch and PS4 sales go up and down by around 25% in a week so you see the Switch ranging from 190k-250k with various new games or new hardware and that system is the big thing right now, if the Xbox was to fluctuate upwards by 25% of its current sales with the release of Gears you have it normally ranging from 50-60k so.... if it jumped by 25% that could go as high as.... 75k? I mean... if the sales from Gears caused the system to start selling 100% more every week that would mean that weekly would rise to 100k and that's still 150k less than the Switch cruising speed right now, I've said this for a while now, but the X1 as a system is dead, it went into that death spiral last year and is well past the point of recovery to any meaningful weekly numbers.

I would more see Gears as being like Breath of the Wild was to the WiiU, a nice gesture for the players who had the system but realistically it's not going to attract people to buy what's clearly a system with no future at this point in the Generation, not the base model at least, it could shift a few X models to people who want to play gears... but didn't like Gears 1 Ultimate or Gears 4 but now they have come into some cash or so and want a powerful machine and Gears 5 is enough to push them over the edge to make the sale, but.... that's a very small increase in sales I'll bet. This kinda goes back to things like new Forza games potentially selling more Xbox1's I mean.... Forza Horizon 4 came out, did they think it would make people buy the system who weren't sold on buying it when Forza Horizon 2 came out? Or Forza Horizon 3? Or Forza Horizon : Fast and the Furious, or Forza Motorsport 5.....6 or 7?

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8