By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's New Fit Game (Ring Fit Adventure™)

Interest Level?

Getting at launch! 9 24.32%

Might pick it up eventually 11 29.73%

Leaning towards no 3 8.11%

Not a chance! 13 35.14%

Other 1 2.70%

Total:37
JWeinCom said:
DarthMetalliCube said:
Wow.. I'm pretty shocked both at how much fun I'm having with this game, and how much it actually makes me break a sweat. As I expected, this is a very linear and basic game, qualities on usually not too keen on - but anytime you can make an exercise even moderately fun and interesting, it's super impressive and admirable in my book. I do sort of wish there was a bit more freedom of exploration, customization/upgrades, and a real difference in the strength applied to the ring translating to the strength of your attacks against enemies, but overall I'm enjoying it. The level of nuance in the motion controls/movement recognition is impressive and the feeling of tactility when walloping the monsters makes those typically grueling reps a ton more satisfying.

My only concern is beating the game relatively quickly as I've only logged a few hours of workouts and I'm already done with world 2. Though I suppose I can always go back and replay the game on "Extreme" difficulty (currently playing on the third tier difficulty which I think is called Intense). And I've still barely played the separate minigames and can always resort to just jumping into the "quick play" options which you just get right down to the reps.

The game has 20 worlds, and they get considerably longer as you go on.  I've put in about 8 hours of movement time and I just finished world 10.  Hoping there's a new game plus deal or some DLC.

You'll also unlock a skill tree a bit later on, and some other abilities that give you some more freedom to customize your workout.  

Exactly this. Plus the earliest worlds are more introductory than anything. World 5, for example, is probably around as long as World 1-4 combined.

And the worlds do get less linear as the game progresses. Not to mention there's no linearity in the other game modes, it's a straight-up succession from Wii Fit, but the Adventure Mode is indeed the main attraction.

Without saying much more, as you go through the Adventure Mode, the complexity of everything ramps up. There's also a lot more diversity.

Anyway, has anyone been doing the bonus exercising outside of game?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
JWeinCom said:

The game has 20 worlds, and they get considerably longer as you go on.  I've put in about 8 hours of movement time and I just finished world 10.  Hoping there's a new game plus deal or some DLC.

You'll also unlock a skill tree a bit later on, and some other abilities that give you some more freedom to customize your workout.  

Exactly this. Plus the earliest worlds are more introductory than anything. World 5, for example, is probably around as long as World 1-4 combined.

And the worlds do get less linear as the game progresses. Not to mention there's no linearity in the other game modes, it's a straight-up succession from Wii Fit, but the Adventure Mode is indeed the main attraction.

Without saying much more, as you go through the Adventure Mode, the complexity of everything ramps up. There's also a lot more diversity.

You mean where you just squeeze the thing while watching TV?  Nah.  The whole point of the game is to make exercising more interesting.  Squeezing a ring does not accomplish that.

JWeinCom said:
Jumpin said:

You mean where you just squeeze the thing while watching TV?  Nah.  The whole point of the game is to make exercising more interesting.  Squeezing a ring does not accomplish that.

There is a gameplay incentive. It grants bonus experience and money. 1 coin per rep. Unlike grinding in other games, this one is suited to multitasking.

Just picked one of these up at Wal Mart for $69, can't wait to try

Jumpin said:
JWeinCom said:

There is a gameplay incentive. It grants bonus experience and money. 1 coin per rep. Unlike grinding in other games, this one is suited to multitasking.

Meh.  Haven't been that low on coins yet.  And most of the activities I'd do in my free time involve either my hands or too much concentration to be squeezing a pilates ring.  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Jumpin said:

Meh.  Haven't been that low on coins yet.  And most of the activities I'd do in my free time involve either my hands or too much concentration to be squeezing a pilates ring.  

True, I am filthy rich in the game.

I am not accusing you of being lazy, only wondering if anyone else besides myself actually uses that feature, and then dig into what sort of exercises they do.

Jumpin said:
JWeinCom said:

True, I am filthy rich in the game.

I am not accusing you of being lazy, only wondering if anyone else besides myself actually uses that feature, and then dig into what sort of exercises they do.

I didn't think you were accusing me of anything.

I don't use that feature, but I have pretty often set up the game on my TV while streaming a podcast or something on my computer.  So, that's my form of multitasking.  Does the multitask mode use the leg strap to measure running, or does it just measure ring con squeezes?  If it does the former, I could imagine myself using it at some point.

I'm itching to get some global sales numbers for this, it seems to be doing a quite well, but I'd love to know just how well.

JWeinCom said:
DarthMetalliCube said:
Wow.. I'm pretty shocked both at how much fun I'm having with this game, and how much it actually makes me break a sweat. As I expected, this is a very linear and basic game, qualities on usually not too keen on - but anytime you can make an exercise even moderately fun and interesting, it's super impressive and admirable in my book. I do sort of wish there was a bit more freedom of exploration, customization/upgrades, and a real difference in the strength applied to the ring translating to the strength of your attacks against enemies, but overall I'm enjoying it. The level of nuance in the motion controls/movement recognition is impressive and the feeling of tactility when walloping the monsters makes those typically grueling reps a ton more satisfying.

My only concern is beating the game relatively quickly as I've only logged a few hours of workouts and I'm already done with world 2. Though I suppose I can always go back and replay the game on "Extreme" difficulty (currently playing on the third tier difficulty which I think is called Intense). And I've still barely played the separate minigames and can always resort to just jumping into the "quick play" options which you just get right down to the reps.

Was really surprised to learn about the 20 + worlds, that's pretty rad. I figured given what I know about typical Nintendo games it would be like half that at best XD.

I still would like to legit use this game like 4-5 days per week for at least an hour as I really have to get back into shape, which I definitely think is feasible given the length, the harder difficulty, and the separate mini-games/sets I could always fall back to.

And I'll still likely be joining a gym but it'll be nice to have this a supplemental/fall-back option when I don't feel like getting laced-up and going there.

It's nuts you wouldn't think squeezing that Ring-con would cause you to break a sweat but over the long haul it really does. I do wish there was a bit more cardio involved - like maybe have the stages extended more, but I suppose that's what the gym is for. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
JWeinCom said:

Was really surprised to learn about the 20 + worlds, that's pretty rad. I figured given what I know about typical Nintendo games it would be like half that at best XD.

I still would like to legit use this game like 4-5 days per week for at least an hour as I really have to get back into shape, which I definitely think is feasible given the length, the harder difficulty, and the separate mini-games/sets I could always fall back to.

And I'll still likely be joining a gym but it'll be nice to have this a supplemental/fall-back option when I don't feel like getting laced-up and going there.

It's nuts you wouldn't think squeezing that Ring-con would cause you to break a sweat but over the long haul it really does. I do wish there was a bit more cardio involved - like maybe have the stages extended more, but I suppose that's what the gym is for. 

Sadly adjusting the difficulty level doesn't seem to change the length of the running segments.  However *minor spoiler maybe* you get the ability to double jump later on, and you can double jump over most enemy encounters.  So if you're really looking for cardio, you could play through a few levels back to back without doing any battles.  Even before that though, you can always backtrack to previous worlds.  Since you'll be at a high level, you can take out enemies in a few hits and get back to cardio if that's what you want.