By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's New Fit Game (Ring Fit Adventure™)

Interest Level?

Getting at launch! 9 24.32%

Might pick it up eventually 11 29.73%

Leaning towards no 3 8.11%

Not a chance! 13 35.14%

Other 1 2.70%

Total:37
DarthMetalliCube said:
curl-6 said:

It definitely can help you lose weight; as Soundwave says, basically any sustained cardio exercise will make you lost weight if you keep it up. (And don't sabotage yourself by eating badly) But like all weight loss, the key is commitment from the individual. If you're willing to put the physical effort in, you will get results. :)

Well therein lies the problem for me first and foremost, definitely been eating/drinking bad lately heh. So definitely have to improve that above all else, but just wondering in terms of a good was to supplement that with real exercise, if Ring Fit would actually make me sweat and feel like a real workout. Based on a review I saw at Gameexplain it somewhat seems to be the case anyway, at least more than Wii Fit, which to me just rarely seemed to actually feel like a real workout unless I totally binged on the jogging and boxing, which sort of got repetitive and boring, thus ruining the point. 

Mind you I had been used to hitting it pretty hard with one of those fan bikes with the moving arms and really breaking a sweat, so I'm used to heavy cardio activity. Ring Fit doesn't seem quite at that high-intensity level but it at least seems mid-range.

Can only speak from my experience.  I used to run for about 3-5 miles every other day, but for the last 6 months or so I've been going through kind of a rough patch in life, during which I stopped working out, and ate way more than I should.

To the point though, I got the game and have been doing it for about 4 days.  After the last session, I was drenched in sweat.  It's definitely way more of a workout than Wii Fit, because (in the adventure mode anyway) you're jogging/running (your choice) whenever you're not doing one of the exercises (which is a lot more engaging than jogging in Wii Fit since there are things to collect, obstacles to clear, and the ring engages your upper body as well).  Also with Wii Fit the activities that were most gamelike were the balance games, which also involved the least motion and the least effort.  Here, you're doing mostly cardio and strength training.  The variety in enemy types encourages you to engage in exercises you might not otherwise do (I hate squats but need to beat those blue enemies). 

There is also the fact that the heart rate monitor, if accurate, gives you a decent idea of how hard you're working out.  Generally I've been between 155 and 175.  Your mileage may vary, but for me at least, my heart rate indicated that I'd had a fairly intense workout.

Can't say so far whether it will lead to real weight loss or if it's any kind of substitute for a real gym. But I can definitely say with 100% certainty that it is a FAR more intense workout than Wii Fit.

Around the Network

Well, it's an encouraging sign that everyone I know online and off who has actually played this says it's a fun and effective workout.

Very interested to see how it ends up selling.

I'm not in the best shape, but I got this game 3 days ago hoping it would motivate me to exercise. So far I have played it 15-20 minutes per day, and I actually woke up pretty sore today. I weighed 163 pounds when I started and am curious to check my weight after a month of doing this.

If the calorie count is correct then I'm not expecting much of a loss. It says I'm only burning about 100 calories in those 20 minutes. Not sure if anyone cares, but I'll be back with an update next month!

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

SuperJortendo said:
I'm not in the best shape, but I got this game 3 days ago hoping it would motivate me to exercise. So far I have played it 15-20 minutes per day, and I actually woke up pretty sore today. I weighed 163 pounds when I started and am curious to check my weight after a month of doing this.

If the calorie count is correct then I'm not expecting much of a loss. It says I'm only burning about 100 calories in those 20 minutes. Not sure if anyone cares, but I'll be back with an update next month!

Every little bit counts! I think I may pick this up or convince someone to grab it for me for Christmas

SuperJortendo said:

Get in shape. Once you get the bug, it's hard to let it go.

I caught the work out bug at 18 years of age, haven't missed a day since.

Around the Network

In all honesty "losing weight" for most people boils down to simply eating less calories. That's the main thing you're going to lose weight from. Losing 200-250 calories a day from 20-30 minutes of cardio is OK and recommended for general health and strength, but if weight if your main metric, really it's gonna be 90% what's in your kitchen.

JWeinCom said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Well therein lies the problem for me first and foremost, definitely been eating/drinking bad lately heh. So definitely have to improve that above all else, but just wondering in terms of a good was to supplement that with real exercise, if Ring Fit would actually make me sweat and feel like a real workout. Based on a review I saw at Gameexplain it somewhat seems to be the case anyway, at least more than Wii Fit, which to me just rarely seemed to actually feel like a real workout unless I totally binged on the jogging and boxing, which sort of got repetitive and boring, thus ruining the point. 

Mind you I had been used to hitting it pretty hard with one of those fan bikes with the moving arms and really breaking a sweat, so I'm used to heavy cardio activity. Ring Fit doesn't seem quite at that high-intensity level but it at least seems mid-range.

Can only speak from my experience.  I used to run for about 3-5 miles every other day, but for the last 6 months or so I've been going through kind of a rough patch in life, during which I stopped working out, and ate way more than I should.

To the point though, I got the game and have been doing it for about 4 days.  After the last session, I was drenched in sweat.  It's definitely way more of a workout than Wii Fit, because (in the adventure mode anyway) you're jogging/running (your choice) whenever you're not doing one of the exercises (which is a lot more engaging than jogging in Wii Fit since there are things to collect, obstacles to clear, and the ring engages your upper body as well).  Also with Wii Fit the activities that were most gamelike were the balance games, which also involved the least motion and the least effort.  Here, you're doing mostly cardio and strength training.  The variety in enemy types encourages you to engage in exercises you might not otherwise do (I hate squats but need to beat those blue enemies). 

There is also the fact that the heart rate monitor, if accurate, gives you a decent idea of how hard you're working out.  Generally I've been between 155 and 175.  Your mileage may vary, but for me at least, my heart rate indicated that I'd had a fairly intense workout.

Can't say so far whether it will lead to real weight loss or if it's any kind of substitute for a real gym. But I can definitely say with 100% certainty that it is a FAR more intense workout than Wii Fit.

Interesting. I'm surprised to hear it's that much more of an intense workout than Wii Fit. I may have to pick this up. 

I was thinking of shelling out for a fan exercise bike but hell for a 3rd of the price I might as well pick this up and also have some fun and not be in agony while working out lol. And if I'm not feeling it I can always sell it back and stick with plan A I suppose..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

SuperJortendo said:

Let us know how it works out for you. (Badum tssh)

As others have said, if you really want to get in shape and improve your health, nutrition is also essential. 

So does the gaming aspects help it from getting dull? One of the biggest problems a lot of people have with exercise is getting bored with just running in place on a treadmill for instance.

I've been loving Ring Fit Adventure. :) It came out just at a time when I was doing a lot of yogo to try to fix my health and now I can do it through gaming!

Sales up 5% for Week 2 in the UK. Overwatch down 37%, Witcher 3 down 68%.

Still not a single 2nd hand unit sold on Ebay or Amazon.

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 28 October 2019

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!