By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - [Update] Officially two years cancer free

curl-6 said:

Well, next week I have my first post-op scans to make sure the cancer is gone.

My last scans, less than a month and a half before the surgery, said it was only the one tumor, and when they removed that they said they got a clean margin around it, so the odds are good this time that I’m all clear.

Still, after feeling like it was finally over for the last few months, it’s kinda terrifying to be back in that mindset of having to get scans and wait on the results to see if I’m okay. And after quarantining myself for months, having to visit a hospital is also pretty scary.

It's gonna be a challenging month.

On the plus side though, my physiotherapist says my progress in terms of recovering my mobility is "fantastic" and I'm almost back to walking normally, which I thought would take a lot longer than this.

Hope the scans come back clean.

Around the Network

Good luck with the scans. Don't be too scared. Sounds pretty good from what you are saying. Be careful in the hospital and all the best!

I had no idea you were going through this. Good shit though. I'm happy for you.

Thanks so much guys.

I just got back from the hospital; they had things very well in hand with thermal screening at the entrances and the waiting rooms rearranged for social distancing, which did a lot to alleviate my anxiety. The actual scan itself took all of 5 minutes; I'll find out the results on Monday, so in 5 day's time.

It's gonna be a very anxious wait til then, but my last two scans in January and March came back clear, (well, clear as in nothing outside the main tumor, which is now gone) so hopefully nothing has changed in the five and a half months since, especially since the tumor itself has been absent for four of those months. 

I apologize in advance if I'm a bit more emotional or hyperbolic than usual in the coming days, anxiety sometimes has that effect on me. I'll try my best to keep my cool.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 August 2020

curl-6 said:

New milestone; walked around my block.

It was harder than I thought it would be; by the end I felt really tired and even light-headed, but I made it.

Honestly, I thought it would take a lot longer to get this far; it's been 41 days since I started walking without crutches and a brace, but physiotherapy has been going really well and I've been pushing myself as much as I feel I reasonably and safely can.

While it's still uncertain as to whether it'll ever happen, I'm setting myself the long term goal of running again. I used to be a cross country and track runner in school, and I always enjoyed going for a nice jog. 

I wanna feel that rush again someday.

Glad to see you setting some sort of goal. FOr me it is totally opposite to you. My principle destroyed the love of running for me in primary school. Just because you good at something, they shouldn't force you to run every bloody morning at 7am before school lol.

Around the Network

Hope you get well and recover completely even faster than the most optimistic predicions.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

You've been taking it seriously, you've been active, and you've had good January and March "report cards". I think you've earned another all-clear, and I'm rooting for you :)

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

How did I miss ths till now? I gues its safe to say I have been nowhere near as active on here as I used t be.

Now I feel horrible!

I just caught up on the thread and it's strange following all your progress like its one big novel with happy endings and then sequels. But its been a ride.

I believe you will continue pulling through, if nothing else, you have strength and optimism in spades and I sincerely believe that's the extra oomph the body needs to fight for you. My prayers go with you.

My first post-op scans came back clean!

Far out, I cannot overstate the relief I feel.

I'll be getting these scans every four months for the next several years to keep an eye on it, but for now, it looks like I might just have beaten it!

Thank you all for your kind words and support, it means a lot to me.

As someone that has to deal with anxiety as well, I know how you feel.

Having to wait a few days for something like a medical result can be such a pain in the butt. But I'm very happy to know that everything is going well for you!