By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - [Update] Officially two years cancer free

KLAMarine said:
Quick question, Curl. Had a swollen lymph node removed today, I might need radiation therapy soon, what's it like?

Hey man; don't stress about radiation therapy, it's nowhere near as scary as it sounds. You lie on a table and a big machine makes a buzzing noise and you don't feel a thing. Over time it will probably make you feel fatigued and the area will get sort of like a sunburn, but that's about it.

The technology for it has become really advanced, they can shape the beam to the outline of the tumor and control the focal length so that it only reaches full charge inside the tumor.

I know the whole situation can be really daunting but radiation therapy is one thing you can relax about. I really hope that helps.

Once again, wishing you all the best, I'm only a PM away if you need.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:
Quick question, Curl. Had a swollen lymph node removed today, I might need radiation therapy soon, what's it like?

Hey man; don't stress about radiation therapy, it's nowhere near as scary as it sounds. You lie on a table and a big machine makes a buzzing noise and you don't feel a thing. Over time it will probably make you feel fatigued and the area will get sort of like a sunburn, but that's about it.

The technology for it has become really advanced, they can shape the beam to the outline of the tumor and control the focal length so that it only reaches full charge inside the tumor.

I know the whole situation can be really daunting but radiation therapy is one thing you can relax about. I really hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch Curl! I figured it wouldn't be too serious. I doubt it's cancer: the lymph node just inflated and never did anything else from there. Doctor suggested lymphoma but I've experienced none of the symptoms so I'm optimistic.

Have you had your surgery? I can tell you about how it went for me if you need. Spoiler alert: worst of it were the needles.

KLAMarine said:
curl-6 said:

Thanks a bunch Curl! I figured it wouldn't be too serious. I doubt it's cancer: the lymph node just inflated and never did anything else from there. Doctor suggested lymphoma but I've experienced none of the symptoms so I'm optimistic.

Have you had your surgery? I can tell you about how it went for me if you need. Spoiler alert: worst of it were the needles.

My surgery is scheduled for the 14th of April, so in 19 days. Thanks for the reassurance, I'm fine with needles, so if that's the worst of it, shouldn't be too bad at all haha.

Remember, even if it is cancer; cancer is a word, not a sentence. Treatment has advanced so far and recovery rates are so much better these days. And it may not even be cancer anyway. :)

I'm rooting for ya man.

curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:

My surgery is scheduled for the 14th of April, so in 19 days. Thanks for the reassurance, I'm fine with needles, so if that's the worst of it, shouldn't be too bad at all haha.

Remember, even if it is cancer; cancer is a word, not a sentence. Treatment has advanced so far and recovery rates are so much better these days. And it may not even be cancer anyway. :)

I'm rooting for ya man.

Thanks so much! We'll beat this!

KLAMarine said:
curl-6 said:

I'm rooting for ya man.

Thanks so much! We'll beat this!

You're damn right we will.

Never before in history has treatment been so effective and safe, and it's getting even better constantly.

I love your attitude as well, your positivity and bravery is inspiring.

Around the Network
Met with the reconstructive surgeon today; long and technical story short, they reckon there's a good chance that grafting another nerve in to replace the cancerous section that's being removed will allow me to retain a good degree of functionality in my right leg.

They say it should take about 3-6 months for the nerves to rewire themselves, so if all goes according to plan I could be walking again as soon as July.
All in all, great news! If my op doesn't get delayed, the cancer will be out in 6 days from now.
Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 April 2020

Ugh, it was too good to be true.

Hospital just called; my operation's been postponed, and they can't even tell me the new date.

I'm so over this bullshit, at every stage in this process something has gone wrong, from failed operations to delays to getting lost in the system. I've been waiting more than SEVEN MONTHS now to have this cancer removed. 

At this point it really feels like I'll be waiting forever.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 April 2020

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Hospital just called; my operation's been postponed, and they can't even tell me the new date.

I'm so fucking over this bullshit, at every stage in this process something has gone wrong, from failed operations to delays to getting lost in the system. I've been waiting more than SEVEN MONTHS now to have this cancer removed. 

At this point it really feels like I'm going to fucking die waiting.

Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing they are just too overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients and don't want to spread it to people who don't have it. I'm sure once things calm down you will be able to have your surgery. 

Things actually haven't gotten too bad yet here in terms of COVID-19 cases, but I think what's happened is they are trying to force through as many upcoming surgeries as possible ahead of a predicted influx of COVID patients, and I must've been pushed down the list as less urgent.

My op was scheduled for the 14th, they say they'll try and fit me in the following week but can't make any promises yet.

I didn't know you were battling against this issue until now. First, I am glad that it didn't spread and you are at a point were the tumor can be removed. Second, I am sorry about the fact that your surgery has been postponed, COVID-19 has really changed the world and the established order of our daily lives. It is important that you stay positive and safe. I hope you can get it rescheduled soon, so that you can get rid of the tumor and have peace of mind. My prayers are with you, and you will pull through! You are one of the great posters here. God bless!

curl-6 said:

I'm so fucking over this bullshit, at every stage in this process something has gone wrong, from failed operations to delays to getting lost in the system. I've been waiting more than SEVEN MONTHS now to have this cancer removed. 

At this point it really feels like I'm going to fucking die waiting.

Very sorry to hear that. I hope it wasn't because of the virus.

Keep calling the hospital to check up on things: gotta regularly remind them.