By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop is dying a slow death: lays off over 100 people, nearly half of Game Informer´s staff

m0ney said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Why are Mom n' Pop used game stores thriving then? 

Unless you show me proof that they are thriving I refuse to believe it because I have seen the opposite on youtube.

Demanding proof for belief in something is not rational. Neither is accepting low standards of evidence such as youtube, wikipedia, or hearsay. 

Around the Network

I think Gamestop's decline has been vastly overestimated. They are actually cash flow positive and despite having a lose in 2019, it was the result of amortized goodwill. They aren't going to go away anytime soon. That said, they will need to do some restructuring to bounce back.

As for Game Informer, it's too be expected. Game magazines are pointless now and as a website it's going to have to compete with every Youtuber out there. With the company having some trouble, not much use to hold on to a relic of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

VideoGameAccountant said:
I think Gamestop's decline has been vastly overestimated. They are actually cash flow positive and despite having a lose in 2019, it was the result of amortized goodwill. They aren't going to go away anytime soon. That said, they will need to do some restructuring to bounce back.

As for Game Informer, it's too be expected. Game magazines are pointless now and as a website it's going to have to compete with every Youtuber out there. With the company having some trouble, not much use to hold on to a relic of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Their content is far better than the average youtuber's though. They aren't PCGamer, IGN, or some other shill outlet. 

Shadow1980 said:
Mar1217 said:

Which is totally reminescent of what happened earlier this year with Activision, despite in their case pulling billions out of their pockets.

But hey, you can't expect illogical/greedy people to regulate themselves if it means less in their pocket or actually be seen as decent people. There's not enough place in this world for that xD

Expect this to become a recurrent occurence in the next years for some of those big corporations.

Which is why corporations need to be kept on a short leash, and why shareholder satisfaction shouldn't be the #1 overriding concern of a corporation. While I think a market system is preferable to central planning for most things, I have serious objections to modern capitalism, and it's this "perpetually growing profits at all costs" mentality that stands at the forefront of my objections. I don't object to running a business and making money off of it, but not to the point where consumers and/or workers are essentially thrown under the bus just so the shareholders stay happen and the CEO can get an eight-figure income for the year.

Great news guys! I just sold all our food for the winter at 300% above current market value! We're rich! 

Three months later... 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

Their content is far better than the average youtuber's though. They aren't PCGamer, IGN, or some other shill outlet. 

Maybe. Issue is that, for all major gaming outlets, they ultimately have to compete with some guy with a mic and maybe a webcam. Outside of interviews, there isn't much these sites can offer.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network

Not shocking from a personal perspective. I buy my ps4 games digital and get my physical Switch games from Amazon. Gamestop is annoying, I hate how hard they push promos.

CaptainExplosion said:

Meanwhile, Amazon is almost the world's first trillion dollar company, while also not paying taxes and practically enslaving their workforce. -_-

Amazon uses legal loopholes to avoid paying taxes yet cities still vie for them to come because they ultimately generate huge tax revenue with jobs. New York City was even willing to give them huge tax breaks because how much tax revenue they would generate. On a side note the country is generating plenty of tax revenue, we just can't keep up with spending because its so inefficient and not relying on the private sector like many other countries.

Unemployment is quite low at the moment. If Amazon feels like slave labor there are other options for low skill workers. Sometimes people also have to consider leaving their city if the jobs options are poor.

But on topic, Gamespot just isn't needed in an industry moving heavily to digital. I don't know what the solution for them is necessarily, but they need to give people a reason to actually go there.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It is bound to happen they will have to transition eventually into a Retro gaming specialized store that offers sale and resales of current gaming. The retro niche is important, it is the reason I still visit used game stores.

In Belgium and the Netherlands we got Game mania,the place to be when you mostly want to pay more and sometimes used games are more expensive than new ones you can just buy online.
They're also dying a slow death while being unwilling to change and lower prices because they can offer you "a service you wont get anywhere else",i still have to find out what that service envelopes but k.(might be arrogance)

I've been in my Gamestop once that i can remember in the past few years. I pretty much either buy from Amazon or Best Buy, as they're pretty much always cheaper. I only buy some exclusive physical titles from Gamestop. I honestly don't buy much from B&M stores anymore. For the most part, perishable groceries are all that i shop for not online.