By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Come on, no need to get things this way, the guys made a joke, it generated confusion, they clarified it and apologized, let it go.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Come on, no need to get things this way, the guys made a joke, it generated confusion, they clarified it and apologized, let it go.

McDonald's can't use Mario to promote something, even if it's a joke. MGS1 is Konami's property, and EVO didn't ask them, Hayter or Harada/Namco before involving all of them. This could turn into a lawsuit if one of the involved parties wanted to go there.
It's baffling to me that the people that run this multi million dollar organisation, who have dealt with rights and licensing for nearly two decades didn't realize that they should get permission first from the parties involved.

They also put Harada in an awkward position, because the crowd were fully expecting it to happen, and were shouting "Snake" as he went down and back up the stairs. Even the final time he left, people were booing, thinking it was part of the act, and that he would return to announce Snake.
Not a funny joke.

And that's aside from the confusion/distraction it caused for the rest of EVO, which I also hope they learn from.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 August 2019

Hiku said:
BraLoD said:

McDonald's can't use Mario to promote something, even if it's a joke. MGS1 is Konami's property, and EVO didn't ask them, Hayter or Harada/Namco before involving all of them. This could turn into a lawsuit if one of the involved parties wanted to go there.
It's baffling to me that the people that run this multi million dollar organisation, who have dealt with rights and licensing for nearly two decades didn't realize that they should get permission first from the parties involved.

They also put Harada in an awkward position, because the crowd were fully expecting it to happen, and were shouting "Snake" as he went down and back up the stairs. Even the final time he left, people were booing, thinking it was part of the act, and that he would return to announce Snake.
Not a funny joke.

And that's aside from the confusion/distraction it caused for the rest of EVO, which I also hope they learn from.

I know they messed up, they also know it, and have apologized.

They didn't harm any of the involved, even if we did think it meant something else.

In the end all that was needed was an apology for being so out of touch with their joke, and that already happened.

A lawsuit would be pretty extreme, they didn't try to use Konami or anyone's image to sell anything.

Hmm, sad times. I hope there is a guest worthy of purchase this season. I want to go back to Tekken if they reduce the cost of classic characters to being able to purchase with in game gold or at least £1 and maybe add a guest I feel worthy of my purchase, sadly that's not the case so far.

Hmm, pie.

BraLoD said:

I know they messed up, they also know it, and have apologized.

They didn't harm any of the involved, even if we did think it meant something else.

In the end all that was needed was an apology for being so out of touch with their joke, and that already happened.

A lawsuit would be pretty extreme, they didn't try to use Konami or anyone's image to sell anything.

They apologized for the confusion. They seemed unaware of the problems involving the intellectual properties however.

When I saw that Harada was in the Codec call, in my previous post I stated that that meant it was something official from Bandai Namco. Because I assumed they had of course consulted with him beforehand. Why wouldn't they? They work closely with him and the Tekken team.
That they wouldn't have checked with him first was unthinkable to me. (Especially since it was shown right before he made a DLC character reveal.) And if Harada approved, that must mean they have the rights from Konami.
Several people in charge must have seen it, and no one thought there was any problem with that idea. That's what's blowing my mind. Even as a joke, I don't know who thought that was a good idea.

EVO keeps growing. Higher attendance. More viewership, sponsors, etc. = More money.
That's what they're selling by putting on a bigger more eye catching show every year. But that video was also used in conjunction with Tekken 7, which Bandai Namco are selling. Which is what Hayter was referring to, about using his voice to promote a game. If he hadn't explained himself, Konami could have assumed that he knew what EVO would do with the line he recorded for them. So they put him in an awkward position as well.

So this was very careless on many levels.
I know there was no malicious intent behind it, but it's still astonishing to me that this happened.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 August 2019

Around the Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9UIGY8b8LU

Funny stories of Sajam being confused for other people at EVO. lol