By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Introducing Thread Wagering!

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Which VGChartz feature does TalonMan love most?

Prediction League 1 $0.15 2.94%

User Profile Updates 0 $0.00 0%

VG$ Store 2 $5.14 5.88%

Game Database 25 $11,608.50 73.53%

Thread Wagering 1 $50.00 2.94%

New Badges 1 $100.00 2.94%

Thread Subscribing 0 $0.00 0%

Upgraded Forum Text Editor 3 $826.00 8.82%

Site Themes 1 $170.00 2.94%

Totals: 34 $12,759.79  
Game closed: 05/18/2019
mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

Not sure giving the OP the option to display (or not display) the text, would prove beneficial - if having the text makes your thread stick out, then why would any OP not want the text??

The second idea is doable - but I'm not sure anybody would actually know what the difference between the two icons is. I know that's partially your intent, but it seems to me it goes to the exact OPPOSITE extreme, and the polls or bets would get camouflaged...

Well, they could always have different colors, or maybe a symbol or something. And also say exactly what it means when you hover over it. I don't know, I just don't like the labels being on thread topics, it makes it seem like they're different just because of having a poll. I know for one, I've made many threads over the years that didn't need polls, but I just put them there for the sake of it, but I'd never like people to go into those threads expecting the poll to be the "main" thing. If we have to keep the text labels, maybe they could be in a different place, like in the bottom line of text or something?

Edit: as for threads with the label sticking out, I'm not sure about that. Maybe it does for most people, but for me personally, at first I was inclined to actually avoid those threads, because they felt a little... alien. So it's not necessarily something that attracts more attention.

Better now?

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
mZuzek said:

Well, they could always have different colors, or maybe a symbol or something. And also say exactly what it means when you hover over it. I don't know, I just don't like the labels being on thread topics, it makes it seem like they're different just because of having a poll. I know for one, I've made many threads over the years that didn't need polls, but I just put them there for the sake of it, but I'd never like people to go into those threads expecting the poll to be the "main" thing. If we have to keep the text labels, maybe they could be in a different place, like in the bottom line of text or something?

Edit: as for threads with the label sticking out, I'm not sure about that. Maybe it does for most people, but for me personally, at first I was inclined to actually avoid those threads, because they felt a little... alien. So it's not necessarily something that attracts more attention.

Better now?

Eh, I thought it was fine as it was. That said, the new style doesn't hurt! :P

TalonMan said:
mZuzek said:

Better now?

Oh, wow. I wasn't expecting that!

I think it looks cool, but there has to be some way of knowing what the icons mean, at least in the form of them saying it explicitly when hovering over them. But yeah, ideally having two different icons for Polls and Bets would be the best. Other than that, I like it! I just don't know if most would agree with that.

Edit: are the icons actual images?

I wager I'm going to lose a lot of VGC$ in the long run. :(

mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

Better now?

I think it looks cool, but there has to be some way of knowing what the icons mean, at least in the form of them saying it explicitly when hovering over them. But yeah, ideally having two different icons for Polls and Bets would be the best. Other than that, I like it! I just don't know if most would agree with that.

The icons are images - the new line underneath, is not. I've added further context to the tooltips if they are bet or poll threads...

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
mZuzek said:

The icons are images - the new line underneath, is not. I've added further context to the tooltips if they are bet or poll threads...

Umm... the tooltips?

mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

Umm... the tooltips?

You never heard of tooltips??? LOL!!!

Hover over the icon, a message will pop-up...

Wat.jpg

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

TalonMan said:
mZuzek said:

Umm... the tooltips?

Ah, is that what the hovering thing is called? I didn't realize it had an actual name. Hmm, it's a little unintuitive to hover over the icon rather than the line thingy, but it's better than not having it, of course. I'm still unsure whether most people actually prefer it this way, though, and things like these shouldn't be decided on one (or two, I guess) people's preferences over everyone else's. But for some reason I can't look at this and say it's worthy of its own thread.

mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

Ah, is that what the hovering thing is called? I didn't realize it had an actual name. Hmm, it's a little unintuitive to hover over the icon rather than the line thingy, but it's better than not having it, of course. I'm still unsure whether most people actually prefer it this way, though, and things like these shouldn't be decided on one (or two, I guess) people's preferences over everyone else's. But for some reason I can't look at this and say it's worthy of its own thread.

Meh - I think it's fine:

- up till yesterday (or the day before?) we didn't have any indicators

- then we had the colored text which drew your eyes to it

- now, we just have a subtle indicator, that falls somewhere between both options.

The forum pages themselves, still have the colored text the way it's always been - this only affects the front page, and I'm fine leaving it this way...