By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The state of this forum

And i was slightly intoxicated what are the odds

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:
And i was slightly intoxicated what are the odds

High.

There's a pattern that your posts and threads get worse on Fridays and Saturdays, so a clear sign that those are the days when you drink the most.

Its sunday

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Wrecked

RolStoppable said:
Bristow9091 said:

Her posts in this thread could have been the beginning of a fresh start for her, but look how that went, even if @CGI-Quality didn't permaban her for being an alt, I have a feeling she'd have gotten there eventually anyway.

It's pretty common that people who created an alt account get defensive when someone suspects them of being an alt account. They'd like it to be a secret for whatever reason (not always malicious), but things can get back on track once the cat is out of the bag, because the pressure of keeping it a secret evaporates.

This site uses a progressive moderation system where the idea is to give people several chances to improve their behavior. Nintendo Fan Girl flamed numerous people several years ago, but ultimately she decided on her own that coming to this site isn't good for her and made a voluntary exit. As such, she shouldn't be treated differently than someone who had the necessary restraint to stop coming to this site on their own, without the need of having their account banned in order to stop posting. Sure, this doesn't wipe her history on the site, but if everyone else sees their moderation lengths reduced after 6-12 months without moderations, then why shouldn't she get the same rights? You, the mod team, treated her as if she had been forcibly permabanned.

Earlier this week we got a goodbye thread from Helloplite where the cause was a wrongful moderation. I assume any conversation he had with the mod team ended with the conclusion that he had to deal with it and move on. Which he unfortunately did.

In this thread it has been discussed that moderation plays a role in keeping this place alive. This topic isn't only a question of how to get new users to sign up, it's also about user retention rates. When I look around and see how the mod team treats users like Nintendo Fan Girl and Helloplite while o_O.Q returns from moderations, continues to do his thing and is not taken care of despite actual moderators engaging with him directly in threads, then I have to tell the mod team one thing:

You are doing it wrong.

It just doesn't make any sense that you treat members who are liked in this community worse than members who are not only disliked, but universally loathed.

Talking about yourself in 3rd person eh? 

Would anybody be interested in game trading?

$60/yr to join the trading club where users will 'loan' their games out in exchange for credit towards renting other games.

IE
Pyro pays his $60 membership for access to the games that everyone is willing to loan.
Pyro adds BoTW and Mario Kart to the trade list which gives him $5(BoTW) + $5(MK) in credit

Person B pays $60 VGC membership and adds Splatoon and Mario Party to the loan list.

Pyro uses his $10 credit to rent Splatoon and MParty
Person B uses their credit for MK and BoTW.

Pyro and person B are $60 down (VGC) and 2 games down but they're up 2 games (via trade)

Users get to trade games and VGC gets $60 yearly membership.

The more people take part, the bigger the choice. It's a model that has worked in the days of trading VHS tapes and it's also a business model that could destroy the 2nd hand market.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

It's gotten so bad now that when I wake up in the morning there'll be a handful of new posts in threads I'm following, and once I've replied to those, there's basically no activity at all for the remainder of the day.

I'm seriously considering having to sign up to another forum (in addition to VGC, not instead of) just to get a decent amount of discussion.

It breaks my heart cos I love this community, for the past 9+ years it's been like a second online home for me, somewhere I could share my passion for video games without hordes of trolls and fanboys contaminating all discourse, a place where I felt accepted and respected.

I'm trying to contribute as much as I can to keep it going, but it feels like a losing battle.

Thats not the main problem rol and you know it altho the last post is the actual problem

I agree with the many others that it's the swift ban hammer that effectively killed this site. Doesn't matter if you hated or loved the controversial threads / characters that have graced this establishment, they drove traffic here.

The progressive system is absolutely atrocious as well. If I go 6 months without an issue, and I get banned again, I carry on as if I've been transgressing the entire time with an even lengthier hiatus.

It's difficult to post sometimes when you know that if one delicate flower is offended by something you said and reports you, the moderation is virtually guaranteed.

agreed I have migrated to other forums after over 10 yrs on VGC a lot has to do with the Moderations and rules

Oh well atleast the last 100 of us get stricktly moderated