By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The state of this forum

TalonMan said:
0D0 said:

I've been to discord and I've got no clue how to have discussions on that. For me it's just a chat, not a discussion platform.

I feel the EXACT same way!! It's just too fast to have any meaningful discussions, unless you remain glued to the ongoing chat. The moment you step away and come back to "50+ New Messages", it's just not worth scrolling back and trying to digest everything that's been said while you were gone...

So, two problems I have. One is predictive words on my phone usually lead to words being mashed up with other words when I select them. It usually happens worse when you move the cursor to a different spot in an already written sentence. Even when just typing normally, moving to another spot to fix something leads to this problem.

And two, which isn't that big a deal, I seem to remember when you refreshed a page it would usually refresh and take you to the last post you were looking at. Now, it refreshes and leaves you at the top. Again, not that big a deal, just annoying having to scroll back down and find the last post you read.

Around the Network

My two cents, but things seemed to go downhill about the same point as when VgChartz started offering premium sales data, which conveniently also seemed to be when sales data started taking longer and longer to actually see.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

A nice way to promote conversation and interaction between users is to go to the old VGC forum distribution and focus the discussion topics to few categories, like bundling all consoles together into a single Gaming Discussion.

In the past it was separated because the forums were way more popular and thread content creation was constant,
now that is not the case, so as a cicle it should return to a simpler layout.

Something like:
- Gaming Discussion (includes Gaming, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, PC)
- Sales Discussion (includes Latest Charts and Sales)
- Website Topics
- General Discussion (includes General, Movies, Music, Sports, Politics and remove NSFW :P)

Maybe the Off-Topic forum can stay the same.
What do you think?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TalonMan said:
zero129 said:

I didnt notice that in my drunking state atm but i still feel like it should of been a warning. Unless you think calling someone a pirate is ok to be left go?, the other day i was called a pirate after saying i pay for my games and yet nothing was done. i think both is as bad as each other and both deserved a warning not a ban.

Well, you can have disagreement with moderation policy - and then take that disagreement directly to CGI or Ryuu. They are MORE than agreeable to hearing criticism when it comes to this area, and (so far as I've seen) are open to modifying policy if appropriate. Saying you think the moderation sucks and that's why the site is going to die, isn't really helpful. And while I know there have been problems in the past, those types of problems always seem to come and go - yet this site continues on.

Point is - try to be a solution to the problem, rather than just a problem. 

I'll be totally honest - I mentioned to CGI just the other day, having a forum with zero "bad guys" is actually not a good thing. Sure, it seems like everyone is playing nice and all, but things will definitely get stale. The truth is (and I'm willing to bet it applies to a large majority of people here), the biggest douchebags are usually the ones that cause you to sign-up in the first place, so you can join the conversation and call that person out. To this day, I still remember the exact reason I joined - it was because of a user named @Monty (I'm sure some of the older people here like @kirby007 or @RolStoppable remember that ass clown) - but he was exactly the type of user who would currently not exist on these boards for more than 24hrs today, and that's actually a bad thing. Because without forum foils, things tend to get boring, quickly...     ...NONE of this is to imply we need jackassery around here and temporary bans should always remain available. But perhaps perma-bans need to be focused exclusively on spammers and those posting extremely offensive stuff. 

Anyway - this is delving FAR DEEPER than I want to get involved. Just know that CGI and Ryuu are always paying attention to this kind of stuff, and I have no doubt that if you would raise your concerns (in an intelligent, non-combative and non-insulting way), your concerns would be heard and addressed.

Hey...that was why I signed up.  Except it was a user named Kwaad.  I wonder if he's still around and just switched names or something.

Gebx, weezy, kwaad damn

Oi @TalonMan option to browse members on creation date with option to toggle avatars only didnt that exist in the past?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Instead of merging the forums, we could have another page where we could see all the threads listed. That'd let the user see the threads either separated as it is today or all of them on a single listing.

Getting rid of the separation would make things messy to me in my opinion. Today I just can jump to Sony to avoid having to read over all Nintendo thread titles. Merging everything would make my experience a pain in the neck to go through the topics I want.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

super_etecoon said:
TalonMan said:

Well, you can have disagreement with moderation policy - and then take that disagreement directly to CGI or Ryuu. They are MORE than agreeable to hearing criticism when it comes to this area, and (so far as I've seen) are open to modifying policy if appropriate. Saying you think the moderation sucks and that's why the site is going to die, isn't really helpful. And while I know there have been problems in the past, those types of problems always seem to come and go - yet this site continues on.

Point is - try to be a solution to the problem, rather than just a problem. 

I'll be totally honest - I mentioned to CGI just the other day, having a forum with zero "bad guys" is actually not a good thing. Sure, it seems like everyone is playing nice and all, but things will definitely get stale. The truth is (and I'm willing to bet it applies to a large majority of people here), the biggest douchebags are usually the ones that cause you to sign-up in the first place, so you can join the conversation and call that person out. To this day, I still remember the exact reason I joined - it was because of a user named @Monty (I'm sure some of the older people here like @kirby007 or @RolStoppable remember that ass clown) - but he was exactly the type of user who would currently not exist on these boards for more than 24hrs today, and that's actually a bad thing. Because without forum foils, things tend to get boring, quickly...     ...NONE of this is to imply we need jackassery around here and temporary bans should always remain available. But perhaps perma-bans need to be focused exclusively on spammers and those posting extremely offensive stuff. 

Anyway - this is delving FAR DEEPER than I want to get involved. Just know that CGI and Ryuu are always paying attention to this kind of stuff, and I have no doubt that if you would raise your concerns (in an intelligent, non-combative and non-insulting way), your concerns would be heard and addressed.

Hey...that was why I signed up.  Except it was a user named Kwaad.  I wonder if he's still around and just switched names or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/331/kwaad/

Last online 2017, last post 2008.

But seeing the avatar I remember him too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Don't worry, I am here to stay.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Bristow9091 said:
TomaTito said:

- General Discussion (includes General, Movies, Music, Sports, Politics and remove NSFW :P)

Maybe the Off-Topic forum can stay the same.

Remove NSFW but not Politics?! You're a madman! :o 

This isn't madness... THIS IS VGC!!!

I noticed the flaw in my suggestion when I came to offtopic, you can't have NSFW merge with the rest

PS: You can't remove the driving force of forum, similar to Rol, those things are untouchable.

RolStoppable said:
CGI-Quality said:

The merging of Discussions isn't a bad idea, but the NSFW Discussion wouldn't be let go. 

There isn't much left to merge since the last time boards were merged. There's a necessity for certain sections to exist because it allows users to filter boards according to their preferences. Tito:

1. Can't change anything about Gaming because the breadth of topics in the most popular category on this website justifies the five different boards. We already got rid of the commonly ignored Online, MMO and Mobile boards.

2. Sales and Latest Charts can be merged into a single board because the volume of threads doesn't require the current distinction.

3. Website Topics is already a single board.

4. Off-topic can see General, Movies, Music and Sports merged into General, but NSFW needs to remain its own thing for the sake of filtering and the same holds true for Politics. It's understandable that most people don't want to mix entertainment with politics; the forum filters are the easiest method to please the biggest amount of people.

But unlike TomaTito, I don't expect any increase in forum activity from merging boards. It makes navigation a bit less convoluted for people who browse individual boards, because there will be fewer boards.

The merging of the Website/PC discussions came from one of my previous suggestions I believe, I'm a unionist pro-EU git

Thought more about this, and what I was trying to do is already available in Hot Topics. Forgot about it, since I rarely use it.
Maybe admins can still join the Sales forum and put it at the forefront of the Index, Sales should be #1 at VGC.

Everyone remember to use more often the Lastest and Hot Topics!

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Something like this, the good old blue times!

"¡Viva la Ñ!"