By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The state of this forum

Incidentally, my impression is that as forum activity has slowed, article commenting activity has picked up. It hasn't picked up enough to offset the slowdown of the forums, but I feel like as a percentage of activity around here, article comments are noticeably up.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

Incidentally, my impression is that as forum activity has slowed, article commenting activity has picked up. It hasn't picked up enough to offset the slowdown of the forums, but I feel like as a percentage of activity around here, article comments are noticeably up.

I noticed the number of people commenting on articles has gone up as well. Hopefully forums pick up a bit more. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Kakadu18 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Well i dont know about that, but the downfall and mass exodus of the PlayStation community here was cause by a official thread, not because it was created but because two mod decided to harass and annoy as much as they could people in it to the point half ps fans here just said fuck you and left.

Wow, when was that?

2014-2015?

Couple of Mods got ban happy (even ran competitions on who could ban the most) and both Nation threads suffered as a result, albeit we did have our own issues too but those specific Mods didn't help things, long story short, drama ensued and it led to the banning of the OP of Xbox Empire which caused quite a few Xbox users to leave, at around the same time, the OP of PS Nation was banned for quote trees, shortly after he left the site too and quite a few PS Nation users left with him for another site set up by a user on this forum.

We definitely had our issues, I do think both threads got spammy back then but damn it was a fun time, a real community vibe, VGChartz was thriving and the threads were receiving hundreds of comments a day, Lol. I do understand the spam argument but the way it was handled by two specific Mods just made things 10x worse when it didn't need to be that way.

Side note, I'm posting it here as it's easier but it isn't a response to you.

I disagree that Nation threads are a negative to the site, back in 2014 all 3 Nation threads were thriving, massively more popular than they are today but so were the overall forums too, every thread was popping. The Nation threads were seen as a community which drew people in, I for one only joined the website because of Xbox Empire, I loved the community vibe of likeminded gamers sharing their passion. Nowadays quite a lot of the news that I post receives little to no responses (but does receive likes, Lol). So I don't think it's that discussion is being had in Nation threads so it won't survive as a specific thread, especially when the big news I do post, receives dozens of article comments for the same piece of news.

It's also precisely because of the "negative" that sometimes there's multiple topics running at once in Nation threads why specific threads are still a reasonable thing to create, but, nobody is making the threads! Lol. We've got to all chip in as a community and actually create threads if we want to have discussions on a certain subject, nowadays it seems all we do is wait for Trunks to write the articles and post there, I don't believe comments have moved to Nation threads, I believe they've moved largely to Articles (which isn't me saying is a bad thing, it's just an observation).

There is enough users that like Nation threads and enough that don't for them to both thrive but effort has to be put in, ResetEra copes just fine with their own equivalent of Nation threads which says to me that the issue isn't the threads themselves. I think it's easier to blame Nation threads though because it's something we can see, especially for users who already dislike them.

But ultimately there is a reason why users participate in Nation threads, it's cause they like them for a variety of reasons, to me it's a community, to others it's something else, I know for a fact a few users are only here due to my thread cause I've had to convince them to return and they only did so for my thread, although nobody has suggested it yet, taking them away would be a big blow to VGChartz so I think it's pointless to blame them as there's nothing we can really change, we should instead look at things that we can change without hurting the site.

I'm of the opinion that the core reason that the site has suffered so much is due to the owners neglect, we're frankly a dated site with a owner who seems completely disinterested in us, next to zero investment, how can our site grow on that support? We're at this stage entirely community ran and we as a Mod team have had to scour the site for Admin support (which we recently received in Bandorr) but it's unpaid work and people have their own lives, hence why we lose Talon for random periods.

This site could do with a ton of updates in both the backend, functionality and design, not to mention the awful reputation that we have outside of this website which I see all the time, VGChartz still to this day is absolutely ripped on, even for stuff we don't even do anymore. Trunks is trying his best but he's one man, Trunks is having to individually reply to folk on Twitter telling them what we don't do anymore and what we do, Lol. The site could do with a huge revamp from a site wide design standpoint and a marketing one but we'll never receive that.

But on top of all of this, VGChartz has Discord to contend with, along with the fact that Forums are dying in general, best to savour the community we still have, hope we can attract new users in different ways and the Staff will try their best with the limited support they have and maybe we'll be lucky to have some growth. As for the forums, folk have got to chip in and make the threads if they want the discussion, the vast majority of news in the past has been created by only a couple of users when everyone should chip in, I remember a period where Curl was basically soloing all the threads, Lol, but nobody would keep that up long term.

Also, it doesn't always have to be news, back in the day we had a lot of fun threads, we had Mafia threads, etc. We've also a big lack of discussion threads on things like TV Shows too, almost no talk about specific shows. I had hoped that my Community OT could inspire some users to come up with ideas or gauge interest on certain topics but it fell flat! Also I use Xbox Empire every year to push 'E3' related threads onto users, Lol.

As an example in some articles though in relation to Xbox Empire, Microsoft: Activision Blizzard Acquisition is 'Moving Fast' for a Deal of Its Size  - There's 14 comments in here...I think when I posted the same news in Empire it received almost no responses, in fact, possibly none at all. State of Decay 2 Tops 10 Million Players - IIRC When I posted this news it received maybe one response? In comparison to the 6 comments in the article. Rumor: Gears of War Collection Coming Out This Year - 39 comments here, I don't think I posted this in Empire though, Lol. Running through the comments and I see very few regular posters of Empire though in there. Phil Spencer: Xbox Will Work to Deliver 'Quality and Consistency' Following Bethesda Delays - 70 here, it didn't receive a single response in my thread IIRC, Lol but it was alongside the delay. Starfield and Redfall Delayed to First Half of 2023 - This received quite a bit of discussion in Empire, it also received 92 comments in the article.

What I see is that the discussion hasn't moved to Empire, it has moved to Articles, a lot of commenters in those same articles never step foot in Empire too aside from a few, I think the core reason why they choose articles over forums is because nobody is making the threads in the forums, I know quite a few don't like the setup of Empire and that's fine but that's precisely why they would comment in a specific thread over a Nation thread.

Now another issue is that creating threads may hurt article comment activity, Lol. That's for you to decide, if you want to talk in articles then that's fine but if you want more activity in the forums then we've got to put the work in, build it and they will come, I.E. make the threads and they will (hopefully) come, Lol.

But I will also point out, it's not just platform specific news either, as someone who follows gaming news very closely, I have seen A LOT of stuff that isn't created as a thread in the past, stuff that I don't ever post in Empire, I don't know about other Nation threads but I know they're less active than Empire so I'm assuming it's the case that they like me, tend to avoid posting multiplatform news. Unless it's something I'm really interested in like an IP I'm a big fan of, I'm mostly strictly on Xbox specific news, I think the same case with PS Nation and NintenDominion and yet in the past a ton of multiplatform news has gone unposted as a thread and undiscussed in the Nation threads but we luckily had Trunks to post it, Lol.

So my question would be, is there anything we can do to make thread making more appealing? I hate how hidden the button is and have requested it be placed onto the Buddy, I also want to bring page scrolling for threads to the front page and increase the amount of threads displayed, I also want to increase the points received for creating threads and I've been toying with an idea of just having a button on comments which straight copies/paste the comment into a thread template, Lol, the user then only has to enter a title and select the topic destination.

The Club Nintendo thread is mainly people talking about what they're currently playing on a Nintendo console and some trailers and tweets. There aren't many longer discussions. Those happen in separate threads because every single Nintendo game gets one.

About thread creation.
It's way to tedious, I basically keep forgetting how to do it because it's all a big jumble and then I just give up. I did make a few threads but it sometimes just doesn't feel worth it.

It should be easier to create a new thread. I bet more people would do it then.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 23 May 2022

Kakadu18 said:

The Club Nintendo thread is mainly people talking about what they're currently playing on a Nintendo console and some trailers and tweets. There aren't many longer discussions. Those happen in separate threads because every single Nintendo game gets one.

About thread creation.
It'sway to tedious, I basically keep forgetting how to do it because it's all a big jumble and then I just give up. I did make a few threads but it sometimes just doesn't feel worth it.

How do you mean, do you mean finding the button itself or the actual process of creating a thread? We've Bandorr now so we can make some changes.

I want the "Create a Thread" button in the buddy underneath "My Topics | Hot Topics" and I want to expand the number of threads displayed on the front page along with adding page sorting, so, going to page 2/3/4, etc. of threads on the front page instead of having to go to Gamrconnect.

I know the formatting in creating threads is a nightmare too.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Kakadu18 said:

About thread creation.
It'sway to tedious, I basically keep forgetting how to do it because it's all a big jumble and then I just give up. I did make a few threads but it sometimes just doesn't feel worth it.

How do you mean, do you mean finding the button itself or the actual process of creating a thread? We've Bandorr now so we can make some changes.

I want the "Create a Thread" button in the buddy underneath "My Topics | Hot Topics" and I want to expand the number of threads displayed on the front page along with adding page sorting, so, going to page 2/3/4, etc. of threads on the front page instead of having to go to Gamrconnect.

I don't even know where the button is anymore. It feels like I need to go through an entire labyrinth to find it. The button needs to actually be called "Create a Thread".

The thread creation itself is fine.

The changes you want to make sound great. Definitely need those.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 23 May 2022

Kakadu18 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I don't even know where the button is anymore. It feels like I need to go through an entire labyrinth to find it.

Yeah, I hate that it's sorta hidden too.

So do you think putting it on buddy would solve the issue?

I considered putting it on the front page itself but I don't know if it would look ugly or not, our biggest issue is still and always has been a lack of designers, Lol.

Could shove it under "Forums" title but if enough use the buddy then we can just shove it there and it will be fine, it's also beneficial that the buddy goes with you no matter where you are on the site.

These are a few of my ideas.

• "Create a Thread" button in the Buddy underneath "My Topics | Hot Topics"
  • Expand the number of threads displayed on front page (from 14 to 16?) - We can discuss this.
  • Add settings to allow users to change the number of threads displayed on front page (I.e. 10/12/14/16/18/20).
  • Page sorting on the front page (I.e. Page 1/2/3) for looking for older threads.
  • Increase the points for Thread Creation (from 10 to 30?) - We can discuss this.
  • Authored a Forum Thread is broken (I.e. doesn't give points).

Ryuu96 said:

These are a few of my ideas.

• "Create a Thread" button in the Buddy underneath "My Topics | Hot Topics"
  • Expand the number of threads displayed on front page (from 14 to 16?) - We can discuss this.
  • Add settings to allow users to change the number of threads displayed on front page (I.e. 10/12/14/16/18/20).
  • Page sorting on the front page (I.e. Page 1/2/3) for looking for older threads.
  • Increase the points for Thread Creation (from 10 to 30?) - We can discuss this.
  • Authored a Forum Thread is broken (I.e. doesn't give points).

buddy on phones is incredibly bugged dont pin your hopes on that, rather put it above the list in the forum subsection on the frontpage

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Kakadu18 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I don't even know where the button is anymore. It feels like I need to go through an entire labyrinth to find it. The button needs to actually be called "Create a Thread".

Click this in the front page

right hand corner, (click on forums) It's in orange color.

then go to ----> you'll see this (New topic) on right side It's the green button. That's how I create threads in PC and Mobile.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.