By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What unconfirmed element do you most want to see in Super Mario Maker 2?

Tagged games:

 

What unconfirmed thing do you want to see most? (Describe more below)

A specific enemy! 1 4.55%
 
A particular powerup! 2 9.09%
 
A campaign building mode! 8 36.36%
 
New multiplayer options! 4 18.18%
 
A new game style! 4 18.18%
 
Other 3 13.64%
 
Total:22
V-r0cK said:
If they have 4 player couch-coop then I'm down.

It's not technically confirmed, but the promotional art strongly hints at that.



Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
V-r0cK said:
If they have 4 player couch-coop then I'm down.

It's not technically confirmed, but the promotional art strongly hints at that.

Yeah, I much prefer couch multiplayer than online.



CaptainExplosion said:
HylianSwordsman said:

It's not technically confirmed, but the promotional art strongly hints at that.

Yeah, I much prefer couch multiplayer than online.

I'm not even sure how online multiplayer would work in this case. Can you imagine a laggy platformer? The online part should be social and collaborative, for sharing and creating together, with the co-op and competitive aspects best left for couch multiplayer.



SuperRetroTurbo said:
I'll give a prime example of what is so wrong about the current system used for determining a levels difficulty.

I'm playing a level now that involves falling blue platforms (one time jump) without a reset door. Normally, I don't have an issue with that but this is different. When I reach the highest platform, I'm immediately bombarded with a random projectile of Bowser flame. There's only one place to land and depending on whether or not the flame aligns with the platform, I'm able to continue.

That scenario has literally zero to do with expertise and everything to do with luck.

Now use this or other countless similar events in the case of having one life left.

The player has virtually no chance to defeat the level. I realize, that's just how it is but that doesn't sit well with me, especially coming from the great minds at Nintendo.

The current difficulty ratings don't really capture the nuance of the kinds of difficulty on offer. There's luck based difficulty like you describe, skill based difficulty, and then there's troll based difficulty, which is designed to kill you repeatedly and have you learn all the tricks the level is hiding through trial and error and memorization. You can't describe all that with a linear easy-to-difficult continuum.



HylianSwordsman said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Yeah, I much prefer couch multiplayer than online.

I'm not even sure how online multiplayer would work in this case. Can you imagine a laggy platformer? The online part should be social and collaborative, for sharing and creating together, with the co-op and competitive aspects best left for couch multiplayer.

^THIS!!



Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
SuperRetroTurbo said:
I'll give a prime example of what is so wrong about the current system used for determining a levels difficulty.

I'm playing a level now that involves falling blue platforms (one time jump) without a reset door. Normally, I don't have an issue with that but this is different. When I reach the highest platform, I'm immediately bombarded with a random projectile of Bowser flame. There's only one place to land and depending on whether or not the flame aligns with the platform, I'm able to continue.

That scenario has literally zero to do with expertise and everything to do with luck.

Now use this or other countless similar events in the case of having one life left.

The player has virtually no chance to defeat the level. I realize, that's just how it is but that doesn't sit well with me, especially coming from the great minds at Nintendo.

The current difficulty ratings don't really capture the nuance of the kinds of difficulty on offer. There's luck based difficulty like you describe, skill based difficulty, and then there's troll based difficulty, which is designed to kill you repeatedly and have you learn all the tricks the level is hiding through trial and error and memorization. You can't describe all that with a linear easy-to-difficult continuum.

You forgot puzzle difficulty. A lot of my levels never killed the player, yet they either gave up or the time limit exceeded (needs to be higher as well) Of course puzzles are just as hard to rate as skill based difficulty.

Co-op puzzle levels, I'm down with that idea :)

I don't know if it was already possible, yet when you do a 10 level challenge you should be able to set what kind of levels you want in the mix. I never liked to play that way since often you would get stuck on a troll level in the mix. I mainly used an external site to find good levels, same as with lbp.

One thing mariomaker doesn't need is the multiple layers LBP uses. That was finicky and only complicated matters disrupting the flow. Some Mario games use the foreground / background switch I think, or is that just DK. Not needed anyway, keep things simple.

On the topic of couch multiplayer, a simple splitscreen so 2 can play at the same time (yet independently) would also be cool. Even cooler when one can build while the other play tests, or build together.



Multi screen multiplayer for real time speed run competitions.



SvennoJ said:
HylianSwordsman said:

The current difficulty ratings don't really capture the nuance of the kinds of difficulty on offer. There's luck based difficulty like you describe, skill based difficulty, and then there's troll based difficulty, which is designed to kill you repeatedly and have you learn all the tricks the level is hiding through trial and error and memorization. You can't describe all that with a linear easy-to-difficult continuum.

You forgot puzzle difficulty. A lot of my levels never killed the player, yet they either gave up or the time limit exceeded (needs to be higher as well) Of course puzzles are just as hard to rate as skill based difficulty.

Co-op puzzle levels, I'm down with that idea :)

I don't know if it was already possible, yet when you do a 10 level challenge you should be able to set what kind of levels you want in the mix. I never liked to play that way since often you would get stuck on a troll level in the mix. I mainly used an external site to find good levels, same as with lbp.

One thing mariomaker doesn't need is the multiple layers LBP uses. That was finicky and only complicated matters disrupting the flow. Some Mario games use the foreground / background switch I think, or is that just DK. Not needed anyway, keep things simple.

On the topic of couch multiplayer, a simple splitscreen so 2 can play at the same time (yet independently) would also be cool. Even cooler when one can build while the other play tests, or build together.

Yeah that wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list. Puzzle difficulty is another one. That's why they'd need tags, both official and custom, to categorize the levels into design trends and genres. Some levels literally play themselves, and don't need a difficulty level. Calling them "super easy" isn't really accurate, as they're less levels with a difficulty and more contraptions or performances that you can break or ruin if you input anything. It wasn't possible in SMM1, but SMM2 definitely needs a customizable 10 and 100-Mario challenge. I remember one external site that was really good for it. At the same time, if Nintendo can't top those sites with their own servers, that's pretty sad. At least give us an advanced search mode, Nintendo.

Layers could be interesting. I wouldn't want to play in two layers, as it overcomplicates things like you said, but think about how people are using foreground and background layers in Smash Ultimate Stage Builder. I've seen some pretty cool stuff on there already.

I want to see tons of multiplayer options. Nintendo is shy about giving lots of options for some reason, I cannot fathom why. Are they afraid it'll be too complicated for younger players? Just make some straightforward defaults or something. Are they afraid it'll get cluttered? Smash Ultimate showed just how much you can fit options wise without it looking cluttered at all. Just give us tons of options, Nintendo! Have a variety of games for different multiplayer play styles. Building together could be a section, and have games like the capture the flag thing I described in the OP. One builds, one plays could be a section, and you could have two stages being swapped between each other, you make some edits and give it to them to play, they make edits to theirs and give to you to play, if you win you get a point, win or lose, now you switch levels and make edits. There are a ton of possibilities with co-creation multiplayer, and I want Nintendo to really dig deep and explore them all and give us a huge variety.

And yes, co-op puzzles would be so fucking dope.



jonathanalis said:

Multi screen multiplayer for real time speed run competitions.

As a fan of Awesome Games Done Quick I concur!! :D