By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - GoT season 8 final episode 6 tonight. (spoiler discussion) Fin. The end... for ever. D&D can burn in the seven hells.

I'm...

Hyped. 24 55.81%

Mildly interested. 11 25.58%

Not bothered. 5 11.63%

/indifferent/not watched/other in comments. 3 6.98%

Total:43
Hiku said:

Many similar moments throughout the season, off the top of my head:

• "If you want a queen, earn her", seconds later Euron nails her.
  • Yara Grejoy rightfully protesting Jon's treason, seconds later, Yara Grejoy "aye"ing Bran as king. Everyone behaving 

Anyone can say or do anything just to make the plot move forward. Euron Greyjoy is invincible until they had to nerf him. Dragons were an easy target until they needed to overpower them. Mistakes had no consequences until they wanted a certain character to die. The previous season was just as bad but few were willing to criticize it.  

Around the Network
pokoko said:

I didn't watch the TV series so I just found out what happened.  I did read the books up through A Feast for Crows, though.  Part of the reason I dropped it was because the books simply take too long for such complicated material and I got tired of reading earlier books over just to remember what was even happening.  The other part of the reason I dropped the series was because I came to hate Daenerys and the chapters devoted to her.  It was like being forced to read a much lamer book wedged in with a book I was really enjoying.  There were characters and narratives I liked less than others but hers was the only one that I just wanted to skip.

So, yeah, heh.  I'm alright with that.

I always thought the books and the show would've been better without the supra-natural elements. Non of them mattered in the end anyway.

Daenerys dragons couldn't save her, the white walkers and the night king proved to be a weaker villain than silly Euron (not as silly in the books, admittedly). Jon's resurrection cheapened one of the strongest aspects of the books, not to mention, he's one of the most annoying black and white characters that gets to live, and him coming back to life was purposeless anyway, Arya would've killed Daenerys and her dragon if she wanted to. The red woman giving births to shadows (twice in the books) amounted to nothing as Stannis didn't get anywhere close to what he wanted. The three eyed raven turned Bran into a plot device who only got screen time in the 6th season to confirm theories and give us flashbacks. The mountain becoming Frankenstein had absolutely no meaning whatsoever, not once he had to defend Cersi from true dangers. Arya spent so much time learning how to become a faceless man for nothing. 

On the other hand, I was happy that Lady Stoneheart was dropped in the show. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 22 May 2019

I understand but do explain how would a person whose paralyzed from.the waste down, procreate? 

Have u not seen the episode where jaimie pushes him off the tower? That tower was pretty high..i am suprised he survived the fall.to be honest.

NightlyPoe said:

dane007 said:

I repeat, being paralyzed does not mean that a dude can't have children.  It might mean that, or it might not.  It depends on the injury.

I'm not sure how the other part applies to my post.

Oh yea you might be onto something. 

Probably which is a gd thing. He would bebthe most experiemced king in all of westeros and the most knowledgeable

Scoobes said:

NightlyPoe said:

Because the history of Westeros is full of people calmly choosing their next leader?  The only reason it worked this time was because the only people who wanted the throne were already dead and for some reason Dorne and the Iron Islands forgot they wanted independence.  That's not going to happen every time.

And being paralyzed does not necessarily mean a dude can't have children.  It depends on the specifics of the injury.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but isn't Bran as the 3-eyed Raven immortal or at least long-lived?

The last 3-eyed Raven was ridiculously old, or was that the Weirwood tree sustaining him? 

Is Bran potentially going to be King for generations?

LurkerJ said:

• Yara Grejoy rightfully protesting Jon's treason, seconds later, Yara Grejoy "aye"ing Bran as king. Everyone behaving 

Anyone can say or do anything just to make the plot move forward. Euron Greyjoy is invincible until they had to nerf him. Dragons were an easy target until they needed to overpower them. Mistakes had no consequences until they wanted a certain character to die. The previous season was just as bad but few were willing to criticize it.  

Yeah, and I don't know why everyone voted for Bran anyway.
Half of these people should have no idea who the hell Bran is.

And I don't know why some of those people were there to begin with. Davos pointing it out that he shouldn't get a vote doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

And the small council of advisers is treated like an SNL skit. No one mentions the huge ordeal they went through, and time is instead spent arranging chairs and making jokes. Why is Bron one of the advisers? I struggle to think of anyone less qualified.

And Sam is somehow a Grand Maester at the age of 25, becuse why not.

This was actually pretty much as close to a fairy tale ending for every character in this episode as possible, aside from Daenerys.
If only she handn't conveniently and inexplicably decided that killing innocent children took priority over going after Cercei.

Last edited by Hiku - on 22 May 2019

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

It was the season when every individual story converged, so just watching it happen and seeing all the 1st time/long awaited character interactions was enough for a lot of people.  Once season 8 came, that novelty ran out and all that was left was bad writing.

LurkerJ said:

I always thought the books and the show would've been better without the supra-natural elements. Non of them mattered in the end anyway.

Daenerys dragons couldn't save her, the white walkers and the night king proved to be a weaker villain than silly Euron (not as silly in the books, admittedly). Jon's resurrection cheapened one of the strongest aspects of the books, not to mention, he's one of the most annoying black and white characters that gets to live, and him coming back to life was purposeless anyway, Arya would've killed Daenerys and her dragon if she wanted to. The red woman giving births to shadows (twice in the books) amounted to nothing as Stannis didn't get anywhere close to what he wanted. The three eyed raven turned Bran into a plot device who only got screen time in the 6th season to confirm theories and give us flashbacks. The mountain becoming Frankenstein had absolutely no meaning whatsoever, not once he had to defend Cersi from true dangers. Arya spent so much time learning how to become a faceless man for nothing. 

On the other hand, I was happy that Lady Stoneheart was dropped in the show. 

I was totally fine with the Others.  It should have been the signature and only substantial supernatural presence in the novels, the lone source of "magic" in a world of blood and steel.  It was the doom closing in on the kingdom while everyone squabbled and played their game of thrones.  The reason GoT caught on was that it felt so gritty and realistic as opposed to the lack of logic and detail usually inherent in High Fantasy.  The Others emphasised that.  The dramatic tension they brought to the first novel created a truly cold and foreboding atmosphere.

Then suddenly we had dragons like every other fantasy series out there and Daenerys unrealistically banana-peeling her way to a massive amount of power in a short period of time.  Her chapters felt like an entirely different novel, one more akin to standard fantasy than what was taking place elsewhere. 

Loved most of what I read and GRRM is certainly one of the most talented and skilled authors I've ever come across, especially in the fantasy field.  However, the series became far too diluted with "magic" and lost much of what made it special to begin with.  The greatest moments in the novels almost always came from humans being unpredictable and savage creatures, not from cliched fantasy shenanigans.  

Goerge RR Martin is attacking Dan & David over Game of Thrones being rushed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2jSrbiTjhs

George: "I don't know [why it's ending]. "Ask David and Dan... we could have gone to 11, 12, 13 seasons, but I guess they wanted a life."

The 'wanted a life' is a reference to something Dan & David said before, about how they were tired of working on Game of Thrones for so long essentially, because it takes up so much of their time, and they 'want a life'.

Well thanks for not handing over the reins of the series to someone else then, dipshits.

For anyone blaming HBO over how short Game of Thrones became, there you go.
Dumb & Dumber insisted on only doing 7 seasons. George wanted them to do 10. Eventually they agreed on 8.
And they're planning 5 spinoffs. The reason it was so short is entirety on D&D.

These two don't care. They just want to get paid and move on to Star Wars.
Can't wait to see Jar Jar Binks appear out of nowhere and kill Palpatine.

Can you imagine how much worse this train wreck would have been if they got they had stuck to 7 seasons?

Last edited by Hiku - on 22 May 2019

Hiku said:

George: "I don't know [why it's ending]. "Ask David and Dan... we could have gone to 11, 12, 13 seasons, but I guess they wanted a life."

The 'wanted a life' is a reference to something Dan & David said before, about how they were tired of working on Game of Thrones for so long essentially, because it takes up so much of their time, and they 'want a life'.

Well thanks for not handing over the reins of the series to someone else then, dipshits.

Dumb & Dumber insisted on only doing 7 seasons. George wanted them to do 10. Eventually they agreed on 8.

Can you imagine how much worse this train wreck would have been if they got they had stuck to 7 seasons?

I was surprised to read Clarke broke the unwritten rules and not so sneakingly criticized the writers

When asked generally how she'd redo the show's final season, Clarke demurred. "Oh, my goodness. Well, I can only speak to my own character, and the people that I interact with on the show," she said. "But I would’ve loved some more scenes with me and Missandei. I would’ve loved some more scenes with me and Cersei."

"I would’ve loved some more scenes between Grey Worm and Missandei," she continued. "I would’ve loved to see a bit more between Cersei...I feel like there was...The genocide was there. That was always going to happen," she said, of Dany going Mad Queen and killing countless innocent people in King's Landing. "And I just think more dissection and those beautifully written scenes that the boys have between characters—that we are more than happy to contently sit there and watch ten minutes of two people talking, because it’s beautiful. I just wanted to see a bit more of that. But I’m in no position to critique the geniuses that have written eight seasons’ worth of wonderful stuff."

Hiku said:

I can't believe there are still people defending D&D. It is obvious to me that the money HBO was paying them was not nearly as much as what Disney offered them. So they completely butchered the show to rush on to work on the new project.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna make a point of not watching absolutely anything they are involved with.