Forums - Sales Discussion - Putting Sony’s 4.2 million PSVR sales in context

Comapring PSVR to other headset sales just shows that VR as a whole is failing. Its going to go the way of 3D.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Comapring PSVR to other headset sales just shows that VR as a whole is failing. Its going to go the way of 3D.

It really isn't going the way of 3D.  

All the VR companies understand that VR is still a ways out.  VR isn't going anywhere.  

VR is Oculus's sole reason for existence.  HTC has largely become a VR company.  Sony just a few months ago was talking about the improvements VR is going over the next 10 years.  



the-pi-guy said:
flashfire926 said:
Comapring PSVR to other headset sales just shows that VR as a whole is failing. Its going to go the way of 3D.

It really isn't going the way of 3D.  

All the VR companies understand that VR is still a ways out.  VR isn't going anywhere.  

VR is Oculus's sole reason for existence.  HTC has largely become a VR company.  Sony just a few months ago was talking about the improvements VR is going over the next 10 years.  

Good VR and especially Great VR probably will be always out of reach for the mainstream. the last 30 years it always repeat. You have some great VR experiences but they are expensive for the mainstream.  And if you get VR that gets cheap it doesn't work with the best games that people want to play now. 






Conina said:
I wonder how many PSVR Aim controllers were sold so far (a peripheral for a peripheral)...

https://www.roadtovr.com/psvr-aim-games-support-compatibility/

Head explodes*



mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Okay... let me summarise this:

The comparison between VR and consoles is not fair, because reasons.
The comparison between VR and Kinect is not fair, because reasons.
The comparison between VR and 3D is not fair, because reasons.

Is there anything left we can compare VR to?



Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

Is there anything left we can compare VR to?

Well, it has to be a peripheral that enhances the features of the main device or adds some features... not too cheap, but also affordable.

How about the number of caravans?

In Germany we have 47.1 million registered cars and around 0.5 - 0.6 million registered caravans... so it is an attach rate of 1.1 - 1.3 percent.

We also have around 0.5 million RVs... since they can drive themselves without a car, they would be similar to stand-alone VR headsets.

Last edited by Conina - on 07 April 2019

DirtyP2002 said:

Okay... let me summarise this:

The comparison between VR and consoles is not fair, because reasons.
The comparison between VR and Kinect is not fair, because reasons.
The comparison between VR and 3D is not fair, because reasons.

Is there anything left we can compare VR to?

You can compare VR to those things. Doesn't mean people have to think they are relevant.

And there are reasons for that posted. So respond to them with why you disagree, or ask them why they think so if they haven't explained.
Don't be condescending toward other people's reasoning when you don't even explain yours.



Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm glad the OP actually brought some common sense to this discussion.  VR is always going to be a niche at best.  There are some very vocal defenders of this niche though who can make excuses forever.  If the VR is high quality, then they can always say "it costs too much".  If the VR is at a low cost, then the defenders can say "the quality is too low".  There is always an excuse.  The idea that VR will ever become mainstream is itself a "virtual reality".  In actual reality it will always be a niche.

I take issue with the always. True enough, VR isn't big outside a niche group. But it may be possible to change the fate. Look what Apple did to smartphones, the market exploded. Or Nintendo to home consoles. And handhelds. All what is needed is an enticing product with the right pitch to customers. For Switch BOTW was that pitch. Maybe CR can take off with the right game, the VRs BOTW.

Apple took a relatively new technology and they were the first to make it commercially viable (both with smartphones and MP3 players).  Nintendo took an old product that was formerly very successful and revived it (home consoles).  VR is not new and it has never been successful.  VR has been proven to be unsuccessful over and over.  And yet people want to keep trying the same thing and expect different results.



Current gen VR is the first that actually works as it should (from a eye-display point of view), and actually does a good job at showing the difference between VR and "standard" gaming.

As a first step, it is doing well enough, and the future of the tech will only get better. And in turn, as it get better, more and more people will dive in.

Main barrier for entry is the price and the form factor. But both will get solved as the tech matures and entices more people to dive in. Headsets will go wireless and less bulky, tracking methods will improve, and as more and more people adopt the tech, devs will get less frisky and invest into more meaty VR experiences instead of what feels like tech demos.




The_Liquid_Laser said:

VR is not new and it has never been successful.  VR has been proven to be unsuccessful over and over.  And yet people want to keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

No, VR has been proven to be not good enough in the past. Bad motion tracking, bad resolution, bad field of view, bad refresh frequencies, all resulting in headaches and/or motion sickness. The controllers weren't intuitive either.

Oculus Rift, PSVR, HTC Vive and all newer VR devices are leagues ahead and can be worn by most people for hours without any problems. They have become lighter and the weight distribution of most models is very smart. The Oculus touch controllers are awesome and the Knuckles controllers will be even better.

Of course there is a lot room of further improvement (resolution, field of view, finger tracking, eye tracking, even lighter headsets), but Oculus Rift, PSVR, HTC Vive were a major improvement and the first time VR was "good enough" for most people who try it.

So it's not the same thing, it is a different thing, so the result doesn't have to be the same.