By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Putting Sony’s 4.2 million PSVR sales in context

Conina said:
I wonder how many PSVR Aim controllers were sold so far (a peripheral for a peripheral)...

https://www.roadtovr.com/psvr-aim-games-support-compatibility/

Head explodes*

Around the Network

Okay... let me summarise this:

The comparison between VR and consoles is not fair, because reasons.
The comparison between VR and Kinect is not fair, because reasons.
The comparison between VR and 3D is not fair, because reasons.

Is there anything left we can compare VR to?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

Is there anything left we can compare VR to?

Well, it has to be a peripheral that enhances the features of the main device or adds some features... not too cheap, but also affordable.

How about the number of caravans?

In Germany we have 47.1 million registered cars and around 0.5 - 0.6 million registered caravans... so it is an attach rate of 1.1 - 1.3 percent.

We also have around 0.5 million RVs... since they can drive themselves without a car, they would be similar to stand-alone VR headsets.

Last edited by Conina - on 07 April 2019

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm glad the OP actually brought some common sense to this discussion.  VR is always going to be a niche at best.  There are some very vocal defenders of this niche though who can make excuses forever.  If the VR is high quality, then they can always say "it costs too much".  If the VR is at a low cost, then the defenders can say "the quality is too low".  There is always an excuse.  The idea that VR will ever become mainstream is itself a "virtual reality".  In actual reality it will always be a niche.

I take issue with the always. True enough, VR isn't big outside a niche group. But it may be possible to change the fate. Look what Apple did to smartphones, the market exploded. Or Nintendo to home consoles. And handhelds. All what is needed is an enticing product with the right pitch to customers. For Switch BOTW was that pitch. Maybe CR can take off with the right game, the VRs BOTW.

Apple took a relatively new technology and they were the first to make it commercially viable (both with smartphones and MP3 players).  Nintendo took an old product that was formerly very successful and revived it (home consoles).  VR is not new and it has never been successful.  VR has been proven to be unsuccessful over and over.  And yet people want to keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

Current gen VR is the first that actually works as it should (from a eye-display point of view), and actually does a good job at showing the difference between VR and "standard" gaming.

As a first step, it is doing well enough, and the future of the tech will only get better. And in turn, as it get better, more and more people will dive in.

Main barrier for entry is the price and the form factor. But both will get solved as the tech matures and entices more people to dive in. Headsets will go wireless and less bulky, tracking methods will improve, and as more and more people adopt the tech, devs will get less frisky and invest into more meaty VR experiences instead of what feels like tech demos.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

VR is not new and it has never been successful.  VR has been proven to be unsuccessful over and over.  And yet people want to keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

No, VR has been proven to be not good enough in the past. Bad motion tracking, bad resolution, bad field of view, bad refresh frequencies, all resulting in headaches and/or motion sickness. The controllers weren't intuitive either.

Oculus Rift, PSVR, HTC Vive and all newer VR devices are leagues ahead and can be worn by most people for hours without any problems. They have become lighter and the weight distribution of most models is very smart. The Oculus touch controllers are awesome and the Knuckles controllers will be even better.

Of course there is a lot room of further improvement (resolution, field of view, finger tracking, eye tracking, even lighter headsets), but Oculus Rift, PSVR, HTC Vive were a major improvement and the first time VR was "good enough" for most people who try it.

So it's not the same thing, it is a different thing, so the result doesn't have to be the same.

Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

VR is not new and it has never been successful.  VR has been proven to be unsuccessful over and over.  And yet people want to keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

No, VR has been proven to be not good enough in the past. Bad motion tracking, bad resolution, bad field of view, bad refresh frequencies, all resulting in headaches and/or motion sickness. The controllers weren't intuitive either.

Oculus Rift, PSVR, HTC Vive and all newer VR devices are leagues ahead and can be worn by most people for hours without any problems. They have become lighter and the weight distribution of most models is very smart. The Oculus touch controllers are awesome and the Knuckles controllers will be even better.

Of course there is a lot room of further improvement (resolution, field of view, finger tracking, eye tracking, even lighter headsets), but Oculus Rift, PSVR, HTC Vive were a major improvement and the first time VR was "good enough" for most people who try it.

So it's not the same thing, it is a different thing, so the result doesn't have to be the same.

Maybe Lucy will let you kick the football this time.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

She doesn't have too.

I can greatly enjoy things even if they are niche as long as they are fun. I enjoyed and still enjoy 3D movies on blu-ray 3D. I enjoyed and still enjoy the stereoscopic effect in many PC games and 3DS games. I enjoyed and still enjoy games on systems which didn't become the leading platform of their generation. I still enjoy genres ike point&click adventures even if they became super-niche.

I pity people who can only enjoy something if it becomes or stays mainstream and can't make their own decisions what they like.

But aren't you getting tired spreading your lies that VR today is exactly the same situation as the few attemps in the past? I'm curious.

PSVR is expected to be slow compared to consoles themselves but in reality, you have to compare it to its market segment where it is doing very well. I'm my opinion PSVR in general has been successful because the barrier to entry is still cheaper on PS4 and the have an incredible lineup of titles. The best when it comes to exclusives.

Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

She doesn't have too.

I can greatly enjoy things even if they are niche as long as they are fun. I enjoyed and still enjoy 3D movies on blu-ray 3D. I enjoyed and still enjoy the stereoscopic effect in many PC games and 3DS games. I enjoyed and still enjoy games on systems which didn't become the leading platform of their generation. I still enjoy genres ike point&click adventures even if they became super-niche.

I pity people who can only enjoy something if it becomes or stays mainstream and can't make their own decisions what they like.

But aren't you getting tired spreading your lies that VR today is exactly the same situation as the few attemps in the past? I'm curious.

You changed your arguement.  I'm saying that VR won't be successful.  You initially were arguing that it will be.  Now you are just saying that you like it.  It is fine if you like a niche product.  I do think you are fooling yourself if you ever think it will be more than that.