By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve Index (VR headset) announced, 144 Hz, off ear audio

the-pi-guy said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=cjXSXmHZP3Q

Someone made a video showing the finger tracking on the controller.  

Looking quite good, impressive in fact. I doubt many here will be impressed or interested though, seeing as how it's Valve making the headset (As well as it not being the meme that is Hl3). 

I am looking forward to using those controllers in the future though. 

Around the Network
Chazore said:
the-pi-guy said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=cjXSXmHZP3Q

Someone made a video showing the finger tracking on the controller.  

Looking quite good, impressive in fact. I doubt many here will be impressed or interested though, seeing as how it's Valve making the headset (As well as it not being the meme that is Hl3). 

I am looking forward to using those controllers in the future though. 

Yeah.  It's not perfect, but it's looking great.  Probably good enough though that you'll hardly notice when it's off.

Here's a relevant speculation of sorts on the 3 games that Valve is working on.  

The information is apparently found in files with the SteamVR update.  

The games are Half Life, Left 4 Dead, and a coop asymmetric VR stealth game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bhm5xp/according_to_vnn_the_3_valve_vr_games_are_half/

I'd still take it with a grain of salt, as I haven't seen it myself.  

We also know that Valve is working with other studios to bring other serious titles.  One of which is Boneworks (a smaller title that UploadVR  says feels like the first second gen VR game.)

The Valve Index feels like it is ripe for a solid VR release.  

https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-price-specs/

"The refresh rate of the Vive and Vive Pro was 90Hz. Index increases this to 120Hz, with an optional “experimental” 144Hz mode. Valve claims full backwards compatibility with 90Hz content."

I'm a bit disappointed, to be honest.

Headphones that don't touch your ears.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 30 April 2019

They're not going to sell many units with those prices.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
They're not going to sell many units with those prices.

Yeah.  

Biggest disappointment for me is the lack of games.  If it came with a game, I'd be a lot more forgiving.  

I'm half disappointed and half not with the price.  I was hoping for closer to $800, but the closest comparison is a $1400 Vive Pro bundle, and this is a notable improvement in a lot of ways.  

749$.... VR aint cheap.

John2290 said:
I knew it, Prosumer again with no sign of them bringing down the price of their earlier tech.

Largely what they've said they're going to do.

They think making it cheap as fast as possible will lead to failure.  So they're dedicated to making it as good as possible.

JRPGfan said:
749$.... VR aint cheap.

That's assuming you already have a Vive with the base stations.  

Otherwise you'll need to spend $999 to get the headset and the base station.

But this is top of the line VR.  

Rift S is pretty good VR, and sells at $399.  

the-pi-guy said:
John2290 said:
I knew it, Prosumer again with no sign of them bringing down the price of their earlier tech.

Largely what they've said they're going to do.

They think making it cheap as fast as possible will lead to failure.  So they're dedicated to making it as good as possible.

JRPGfan said:
749$.... VR aint cheap.

That's assuming you already have a Vive with the base stations.  

Otherwise you'll need to spend $999 to get the headset and the base station.

But this is top of the line VR.  

Rift S is pretty good VR, and sells at $399.  

Tbh, I think expecting $300 ish VR to be top of the line is asking a bit too much. the $800 price point would have been more based within reality, than say $300+ for the headset, controller and base stations as well. 

I also don't think Valve are in the business for shelling out on expensive tech, and selling at a loss the whole time with it. I mean, if everyone here is fine with Nintendo, constantly crafting tech for cheap and making it so they hardly ever have to break their own bank account, then why can't Valve, or anyone else for that matter?.

John2290 said:

The tech and specs in the Vive Pro at launch did not warrent the price tag at launch, it was over priced, I haven't looked into index yet but it seems to be the same. 

Index is $400 cheaper than the Vive Pro and is a massive improvement over it.  

John2290 said:

They didn't make the vive pro a better HMD in any significant way while others were imroving on the tech at half the cost. Looks the same here, like I said, they spent too much on VR and now that it is noy selling they are trying to recoup what they can while investing as little as possible.

This isn't quite the same.  

I suspect they're making money on the base stations, but everything else seems to be very overengineered.  

-Knuckles has 87 sensors on each controller just for hand tracking.  Not to mention a couple dozen sensors for tracking the controller itself.

-Headset has 144 hz low persistence displays, with great lenses