By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: Borderlands 3 announced | (spoilers) Everything we know about Borderlands 3 ahead of the reveal today

Tagged games:

vivster said:
The trailer looked exactly like Borderlands aka the thing any Borderlands fan wanted. It's not about reinventing the formular, it's about perfectly executing the same thing they did since the first Borderlands. The excitement comes from the fact that what was shown is exactly Borderlands and nothing else. The long time they worked on it wasn't to revolutionize the series, but to fill the game with content and I assume they did considering the many many characters and callbacks. If someone isn't excited by that trailer that person probably never liked what made Borderlands great in the first place.

^This. The 5 years development cycle wasn't done to reinvent the wheel or something. They didn't want to make some online Anthem/Destiny/The Division looter shooter, they want to make a really awesome singleplayer/co-op looter shooter. The 5 years was to pack the game with content. The first 2 games were set on just Pandora and the Pre-Sequel was set on Pandora's moon, in Borderlands 3 you can visit multiple planets, going by the trailer at least 5 different planets, possibly alot more. Expect more content at release than Borderlands 2 had after all DLC's were released most likely, most likely over 60 hours of content for a single playthrough at release (Borderlands 2 had a 30 hour main story by comparison), and Borderlands games are designed to be played a 2nd time in a new game+ mode in order to reach the level cap and do raid bosses and such with your friends.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I dont really see how that excuses the elements like the stupid card part tbh. I also was commenting on how they kept teasing the game for years, it was like they were intentionally messing with people. Now that its announced, it looked pretty boring tbh and the trailer wasn't that exciting. 

The magic trick was cringe, was pretty obvious that they only did it to fill time because the panel was an hour long. 

However, I vehemently disagree that the game looked boring and that the trailer wasn't exciting. It was exactly what most Borderlands fans were looking for, the 120/1 like/dislike ratio for the trailer is clearly indicative of that. If there is one thing that Gearbox is good at, it is making trailers that hype people up, their Borderlands 2 release date trailer is one of my personal top 5 trailers of all time, and this Borderlands 3 announce trailer was nearly as good imo. 

I don't think it's fair that no one said anything about it being too much like Borderlands or it not being innovative enough and yet that's what you extrapolated and argued against.  Seems like arguing with a point no one said or even implied tbh. It just wasn't a trailer that impressed me and if other people don't feel like the trailer justifies the development time it may not necessarily be about how innovative it did or did not look - there's a ton of reasons to view something as meh.

Regardless I'm glad you liked the trailer. I'm not particularly worried - we're getting more information April 3rd I believe? In that case I'm more than fine with waiting for more info. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 28 March 2019

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
shikamaru317 said:

The magic trick was cringe, was pretty obvious that they only did it to fill time because the panel was an hour long. 

However, I vehemently disagree that the game looked boring and that the trailer wasn't exciting. It was exactly what most Borderlands fans were looking for, the 120/1 like/dislike ratio for the trailer is clearly indicative of that. If there is one thing that Gearbox is good at, it is making trailers that hype people up, their Borderlands 2 release date trailer is one of my personal top 5 trailers of all time, and this Borderlands 3 announce trailer was nearly as good imo. 

I don't think it's far that no one said anything about it being too much like Borderlands or it not being innovative enough and yet that's what you extrapolated and argued against.  Seems like arguing with a point no one said or even implied tbh. It just wasn't a trailer that impressed me and if other people don't feel like the trailer justifies the development time it may not necessarily be about how innovative it did or did not look - there's a ton of reasons to view something as meh.

Regardless I'm glad you liked the trailer. I'm not particularly worried - we're getting more information April 3rd I believe? In that case I'm more than fine with waiting for more info. 

Yep, April 3rd, the same day that the Borderlands 1 Remaster and Borderlands The Handsome Jack Collection PS4 Pro/Xbox One X 4K/HDR patch release. 

The trailer was really cringe but im still hyped.

shikamaru317 said:

Yep, April 3rd, the same day that the Borderlands 1 Remaster and Borderlands The Handsome Jack Collection PS4 Pro/Xbox One X 4K/HDR patch release. 

In that case I'm excited! It's refreshing that it's so close to the reveal date for once, versus what a lot of companies do which is wait 3 weeks to a month and a half for new info xD.

Around the Network

We have some new info, some of it is leaked, the rest is from analysis of the trailer:

-There is going to be a conflict between some of the gun manufacturers in Borderlands 3. At the very least Maliwan and Atlas will be participating in this conflict, since both have soldiers in the trailer.

-The Calypso twins are named Tyrene and Troy. They both have a parasitic ability that lets them steal the power of Sirens. When the game begins, Tyrene will already have Siren powers that she stole from another Siren, and in the trailer you can see Lilith crawling on the ground after Troy has stolen her siren powers. This is evident by him having red siren tattoos in part of the trailer, red being Lilith's Siren color (each Siren has their own color (Red for Lilith, White for Angel, Purple for Amara, Blue for Maya, Steele's color is unknown currently since she didn't use her Siren Powers in Borderlands 1 before she died). Supposedly, if they are killed in the game, their stolen powers will return to their previous owner if the owner is still alive, if not the Siren re-incarnation cycle will start again and a new siren will be born.

-We know the names for some of the planets in the trailer. Eden-6 is the planet with the somewhat jungle looking areas. Promethea is the planet with the large city. The planet with the Asian looking architecture still doesn't have a known name, nor does the desert planet that is not Pandora. 

-Boss fights will be much more dynamic this time around, bosses have multiple phases which are indicated by visual changes.

-The character movement system has been improved, you can now slide on the ground and vault over obstacles.

-Laser weapons will return, and there is a flamethrower weapon in the trailer. There is a new Eridian weapon class as well. There seems to be a new elemental effect as well, called either nuclear or radiation. 

-Zane, the Operative class, seems to have at least 2 powers, in the trailer he is shown with a holographic decoy and a flying drone following him around.

-Amara, The Siren class, also seems to have 2 powers, she has a ground pound power and a siren ability where extra energy arms form around her, greatly increasing her melee damage output.

(considering those 2 have at least 2 powers, it's possible that each class has multiple abilities in Borderlands 3, as opposed to 1 for previous games, or the extra abilities could be skill tree based)

-Flak, the Beastmaster class, is shown using his ability in the trailer, there is a Skag with glowing green eyes fighting alongside him. We don't know exactly how his power works just yet, but it is believed that his main ability allows him to summon 1 of 3 possible pets, with a secondary ability that let's him win over enemy beasts in combat and get them to fight alongside him, it is likely that the glowing green eyes skag is one of these possessed enemy beasts.

-Moze, the Bot Jock class, is shown summoning her mech Iron Bear in the trailer. The mech digistructs around her when she summons it, and a 2nd co-op partner can ride on top and control a 2nd turret up there. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 28 March 2019

HYPE!

Also, it's about time! The wait for Borderlands 3 has been an awfully long one!

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Carl said:
Yeah, that trailer did enough for me to get me on board. Gonna be nice to visit so many different locations, and if the leaks are true, there's gonna be a lot more variety in terms of gameplay. Nice to see Tales from the Borderlands getting some good recognition too. Can't wait to see what happened with Rhys and Fiona and Loader Bot.

Hype!

@shikamaru317 

That's the name I was searching for ! Thanks Carl :D

Can't wait to see my TFTB's gang back :O

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Ka-pi96 said:
HYPE!

I'm waiting on the next FF, DA and Elder Scrolls, we had to wait 12 years for KH3 (I've still not played it).

These RPGs man, just aren't made like the yearly iteration games. :P

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Ka-pi96 said:
HYPE!

I'm waiting on the next FF, DA and Elder Scrolls, we had to wait 12 years for KH3 (I've still not played it).

These RPGs man, just aren't made like the yearly iteration games. :P

Yeah, RPG's are slow for sure. We're on year 7 now waiting for Cyberpunk 2077, and it's looking like we'll see a 6 year gap between Witcher 3 and Witcher 4 (CD Projekt claims their 2nd AAA RPG will release before the end of 2021). We're on year 7 waiting for Bethesda's Starfield (it first leaked in 2012) and it's looking like it it won't release until 2020. Looking like it'll be a 7 year wait between Dragon Age Inquisition and Dragon Age 4 most likely (2014 to 2021). Looking like an 11 year wait between Elder Scrolls 5 and 6 (2011 to 2022).