By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
the-pi-guy said:
SegaHeart said:

@TallSilhouette I have a question Roe v. wade movement is pro choice? If so they can make it legal now that Biden is President? Would be nice.

Roe vs Wade is what the law is right now. And yes, it's pro-choice. 

The president doesn't have that power. 

In the US, congress creates the laws, the supreme court interprets the laws. 

The president has various powers like he can veto laws, and he can suggest laws, but he can't pass laws. 

The issue at hand is that the Supreme Court is re-interpreting the law to say that the Roe vs Wade decision doesn't hold. In which case the decision becomes the responsibility of each state. 

Some of which already have laws that will take effect, and some of which are poorly written and can cause a woman who simply had a miscarriage be arrested. (it's usually not possible to tell the difference between a miscarriage and an abortion).

Thanks.



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
iron_megalith said:

This post is actually serious. Had to just come back to this thread to say thanks for the laughing material.

I love that so many conservatives are so willing to proudly show off their lack of critical thinking skills by automatically denouncing anything they can without actually debunking the sources or the facts. 

"Oh, John Oliver is a comedian and you think he's right about stuff! WHAT A FOOL YOU ARE!" 

Have you actually checked any of his claims? Do you have any ability or desire to learn how to cite sources or discern between good and bad information? Any time I see or hear something out of him that doesn't feel right - be it too conveniently true or outlandish - even if it's something that supports my opinion, I check his sources. I google the information, I cross reference the data to make sure that it's not just some fringe result in a single botched test or something. 

The fact that he's a comedian shouldn't dissuade you from taking what he says seriously. Some of the best news outlets over the past 20+ years have been ones that give you true facts through a filter of comedy. Because they work extra hard to make sure those statements are correct because certain fools will absolutely try to denounce anything they say. 

I wish I could find the source again, but I remember reading in 2009 or somewhere around there that people who watched John Stewart and Stephen Colbert were more accurately informed about modern politics than those who watched CNN or MSNBC or Fox, and those are actual news stations. 

but what am I wasting my time for? When it comes to some people, it's not 'how good are your sources' or 'how reliable are your interpretations of the data', it's 'lol liberals are all the worst and will take anything they can get'. And I think that is what gets me the most about all of this. It's not about fact vs fiction, it's liberals vs conservatives. It just so happens to be that the FACTS support one side more than the other. That's not liberal media bias, that's science. Sadly, any science that doesn't confer with your views can be ignored for a grab-bag of convenient reasons, ya know? 

Oh please. Jon Stewart in his prime days was at least hitting both sides equally and was actually funny. He made fun of the absurdity of both right and left wing media. John Oliver on the other hand is an unfunny partisan hack who rode the "Orange man bad/Republicans bad" dick as hard as all the other mainstream comedic political commentators.

If you want a great example of John Oliver's bullshit, look no further than the time when he was making fun of Trump for saying tearing down statues was a slippery slope. Boy did his joke age like milk.

Oh and thanks for labeling me a conservative in this thread. Never fails to make me laugh when someone does this shit.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 17 May 2022

iron_megalith said:

If you want a great example of John Oliver's bullshit, look no further than the time when he was making fun of Trump for saying tearing down statues was a slippery slope. Boy did his joke age like milk.

I'm not sure how pointing out a slippery slope fallacy has aged like milk.

iron_megalith said:

Oh and thanks for labeling me a conservative in this thread. Never fails to make me laugh when someone does this shit.

And do you think you're not a conservative, or do you just take issue with being labelled?

If it's the former, then I really have to wonder what you think you are. Considering how you only ever pop in here to make fun of left-wingers, regardless of what they're talking about, it doesn't seem like there's much of an alternative.



iron_megalith said:

Oh please. Jon Stewart in his prime days was at least hitting both sides equally and was actually funny. He made fun of the absurdity of both right and left wing media. John Oliver on the other hand is an unfunny partisan hack who rode the "Orange man bad/Republicans bad" dick as hard as all the other mainstream comedic political commentators.

If you want a great example of John Oliver's bullshit, look no further than the time when he was making fun of Trump for saying tearing down statues was a slippery slope. Boy did his joke age like milk.

Oh and thanks for labeling me a conservative in this thread. Never fails to make me laugh when someone does this shit.

A lot has changed since the Jon Stewart days. While there is certainly a lot to criticize in the current Democratic Party, the Republican Party is so ludicrously far off the rails that it just doesn't really make sense to treat them both equally. The problems in the two parties are nowhere near comparable and in my opinion, it would be downright irresponsible to treat them otherwise. 



sundin13 said:
iron_megalith said:

Oh please. Jon Stewart in his prime days was at least hitting both sides equally and was actually funny. He made fun of the absurdity of both right and left wing media. John Oliver on the other hand is an unfunny partisan hack who rode the "Orange man bad/Republicans bad" dick as hard as all the other mainstream comedic political commentators.

If you want a great example of John Oliver's bullshit, look no further than the time when he was making fun of Trump for saying tearing down statues was a slippery slope. Boy did his joke age like milk.

Oh and thanks for labeling me a conservative in this thread. Never fails to make me laugh when someone does this shit.

A lot has changed since the Jon Stewart days. While there is certainly a lot to criticize in the current Democratic Party, the Republican Party is so ludicrously far off the rails that it just doesn't really make sense to treat them both equally. The problems in the two parties are nowhere near comparable and in my opinion, it would be downright irresponsible to treat them otherwise. 

Excactly. Both suck, but one sucks far, FAR more and more maliciously. 

Olives taste bad. So does rotten fish. Doesn't mean they're both equally bad and should be treated equally. 



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Around the Network

"Cawthorn's loss proves that the GOP establishment, if it wanted to, could easily ostracize its most toxic members; they just choose not to. They've actively chosen to collude with Trump and his ilk no matter how dangerous they are to democracy because they think that's the path to power. Cawthorn just got a little too radioactive for them."



TallSilhouette said:

"Cawthorn's loss proves that the GOP establishment, if it wanted to, could easily ostracize its most toxic members; they just choose not to. They've actively chosen to collude with Trump and his ilk no matter how dangerous they are to democracy because they think that's the path to power. Cawthorn just got a little too radioactive for them."

Exactly. Cawthorn got rejected because he was embarrassing, not because he is horrible. He still has the sans horrible ideas he ran on. He lost because of photos of him doing stuff that threatened the masculinity of his voters. 



Not sure why Kyle is shocked by this at all, he's probably missed other videos of Bush making fun of WMDs post-invasion. 



Another school shooting, another year of no gun law reform (and more thoughts and prayers). Isn't the US such a great country?



NobleTeam360 said:

Another school shooting, another year of no gun law reform (and more thoughts and prayers). Isn't the US such a great country?

The best. #1 in so many ways....like gun crime and incarceration. That's the goal, right? Arm every man, woman, and child? Because gun lobbyists are...

nevermind. arguments don't work on these people. If it did, they'd have learned their lesson by now. 



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4