By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

A great segment by Jake. Love it.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Machiavellian said:

Why would you think lowly of people who protest which is pretty much how the US is built.  Now violence during protesting is something totally different.  Your last paragraph acts as if Bernie Sanders is someone that everyone believe as a successful politician.  For every person that loves Bernie, there is probably way more that think he is an idiot.  Do not forget that 70 million people vote for another term for Trump so there is definitely a large segment of the voting population that would definitely feel Bernie is not the direction the country should go. Protest is a way to get attention that people are not happy with the direction the country, state or local government is going.  Nothing wrong with it but with anything that can be taken advantage of, there will always be the grifters.

We live in an era where voting is more powerful than protesting. You can get more done for you if you do your homework and organise and spread the message, protesting doesn't get you nearly the same results. But who wants homework, let's get out and blow the city up, that's always easier than educating ourselves about the candidates you're presented with and their history as politicians. In my opinion, Bernie failed (as a presidential candidate, not a politician), because people didn't do their homework, not that I am presenting him as the ideal candidate to elect, just an example of someone who would've pushed for real solutions if he was elected 10 years ago. So yeah, no sympathy for the lazy. 

The thing is voting is only powerful if you serve the majority.  If you are a minority group how exactly does voting push your cause.  You have to make the majority understand that caring about the minority matters.  Do you believe that minority groups can just easily vote to make change if they do not have enough participants in the process.  Let just think this over for a second.  How do you believe that Jim Crow laws and other laws against minority group existed for a long time.  You must live in a world where the laws work for you and you are part of the majority.  Just think of it this way, why it take so long to see a black President in the US.  Even today we still see "First Black" in multiple states in government.  Getting people to care for your cause when you are the minority must be some type of science fiction you are believing or maybe you feel waiting centuries for the majority to give a damn is a better path to success. Protest and the right to protest is a fundamental right to American citizens.  It raises awareness on subjects you probably would dismiss out of hand because it does not effect your life.

As for Bernie, people did do their homework, just like everything, it fell on opinion.  For any article pushing what he is selling, I can find a dozen that say different.  The president job is not about effective leadership but a personality contest.  If it was a contest on skills, anyone who can even go for the job would need to take a battery of test to make sure they even have enough intelligence to run the country.  Its not about being lazy, its about maintaining the current status quo and when you serve the majority, you always will have that power.

LurkerJ said:
Signalstar said:

Inflation is high.

Covid pandemic still sucks and keeps evolving.

The conservative supreme court is about to open a judicial pandora's box.

Yet, I'm still so relieved to have a normal and sane president in charge. Every day under the previous administration was an exhausting attack of anxiety.

Children of Yemen are also less anxious now that Biden is the president arming the Saudis and their famine is sponsored by a party who conveniently wears a mask that prevent from constantly remind you that there is evil in this world you can prevent if your approach to politicians was more nuanced than "I am voting for someone who's not Trump". If anything, it's probably meaner of Joe to make these bold claims about how he'll stand by the Yemenis and get their hopes up just to brush their issue off the table only after squeezing out all the political gains he could when he ran against Trump. 

Maybe people should stop falling for the things Presidential candidates say and understand what they can actually do.  Most candidates say a lot of crap before getting into the job and finding out they were talking nonsense like the whole "Make Mexico pay for the wall".  Stuff like that always sound good in sound bites but making it happen is something totally different.  This has nothing to do with so much Trump or Biden but just the President job in general.  Candidates always go out there and make speeches about a lot of BS before finding out just how tough it is to get things done, especially when you do not have both House and Senate.  Most presidential speech's before they get into the office is a bunch of wishful list of items if they had total control but hell, since people always fall for it every year, why change.

LurkerJ said:
Machiavellian said:

Why would you think lowly of people who protest which is pretty much how the US is built.  Now violence during protesting is something totally different.  Your last paragraph acts as if Bernie Sanders is someone that everyone believe as a successful politician.  For every person that loves Bernie, there is probably way more that think he is an idiot.  Do not forget that 70 million people vote for another term for Trump so there is definitely a large segment of the voting population that would definitely feel Bernie is not the direction the country should go. Protest is a way to get attention that people are not happy with the direction the country, state or local government is going.  Nothing wrong with it but with anything that can be taken advantage of, there will always be the grifters.

We live in an era where voting is more powerful than protesting. You can get more done for you if you do your homework and organise and spread the message, protesting doesn't get you nearly the same results. But who wants homework, let's get out and blow the city up, that's always easier than educating ourselves about the candidates you're presented with and their history as politicians. In my opinion, Bernie failed (as a presidential candidate, not a politician), because people didn't do their homework, not that I am presenting him as the ideal candidate to elect, just an example of someone who would've pushed for real solutions if he was elected 10 years ago. So yeah, no sympathy for the lazy. 

To add to what others said, voting isn't perfect. If an issue only affects a minority of citizens, it may not only be difficult to get the majority to vote for a candidate who is on your side, but it may be difficult to get a candidate who even supports your cause. Protesting is a powerful tool for getting attention to a cause not just from other voters, but from politicians. Do you think all of the politicians making commitments to police reform are doing it just based on voting records? No, they are doing it because people demonstrated that this is a cause that will motivate them to support you if you take a stand. 

Yes, people should organize around grassroots causes more, but public protest is very much a part of that.

https://www.newsweek.com/tijuana-based-kidnapping-ring-that-killed-6-including-3-us-citizens-arrested-mexico-1657383

Gotta pay 25,000$ or kidnapped citizen is dead in mexico , it never ends these kidnappings

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

I just caught wind of this. Not going to be popular news in the US, despite the importance of the story.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Progressives and the US voters concerned about the US direction have learnt a brutal lesson, don't put your trust in corp " Dem moderates" to get things done 

So the Jan 6th commission I have to say is surprising me. I thought it was going to be pretty much nothing but they are turning up some really good stuff. The one thing that stands out are those text messages to Mr Meadows where GOP members of Congress were already devising plans to keep Trump in office before results were completed within the battleground states. Now people understand why Meadows is willing to go the contempt route,

Machiavellian said:

So the Jan 6th commission I have to say is surprising me. I thought it was going to be pretty much nothing but they are turning up some really good stuff. The one thing that stands out are those text messages to Mr Meadows where GOP members of Congress were already devising plans to keep Trump in office before results were completed within the battleground states. Now people understand why Meadows is willing to go the contempt route,

I can't believe they were literally sharing around a freaking PowerPoint presentation on how to steal the election. I wonder if this will even move the needle on Trump's reelection chances if he isn't charged with anything, though.

Sen. Bernie Sanders has said he will pay for a poll to find out how the people of West Virginia feel about the Build Back Better bill after Sen. Joe Manchin said he would not support it. Manchin, a moderate Democrat representing West Virginia, threw President Joe Biden's $1.75 trillion domestic initiative into jeopardy when he announced on Fox News Sunday that he could not support it

Charlamagne: 'Is Biden Or Manchin President?'

Biden losing support with young voters due to very poor implementation of election promises  

Last edited by Rab - on 20 December 2021