By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit coming to Epic Store!

I guess the Chinese investment in the Detroit become human studio paid off.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

There's two things they can do that makes sense. Drop that cut and start developing more games again like they used. Huge ips that are in need of sequel but they'd rather not bother. 

BasilZero said:

Well good luck for them in the long run, they are gonna need it lol.

There was a time when many pc gamers including on this site, said they'd never touch uPlay. Steam or no buy. But years later most have caved in and buy from uPlay. Epic could do the exact same. There will always be a few that are too stubborn and will never enjoy the games but their aim is to win over the masses not absolutely every body. 

They already dropped the cut somewhat, but the cut doesnt matter in the end since moneyhatting a large sum of money prevails over any cut. Once again if the cut mattered, then Discord and itch.io would be getting games left and right. Epic's pretty much doing what Sony and MS has been doing for years on the console space.

Also Valve developing games wont entice devs/pubs to release games on Steam unless what you posted was a joke post l0l

People didnt buy games from Uplay until Uplay was pressured into adopting Steam like qualities - i.e. Having sales, releasing keys on third party sites - and despite that, people still bought them on Steam over Uplay.

Every PC game released between Steam and Uplay- there were more being sold on Steam.  If they released Ubisoft games across Uplay, EGS and Steam - the numbers would be like

Steam > Uplay >>>>EGS.

Epic can only moneyhat to get an advantage but its a double edged sword since games arent just being released on their store unlike Steam.

Edit: I think EGS if it is successful in any way, will end up like MS is like in the console space compared to Steam which is like Playstation and GOG like Nintendo.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 20 March 2019

Basil's YouTube Channel

BasilZero said:
Kerotan said:

There's two things they can do that makes sense. Drop that cut and start developing more games again like they used. Huge ips that are in need of sequel but they'd rather not bother. 

There was a time when many pc gamers including on this site, said they'd never touch uPlay. Steam or no buy. But years later most have caved in and buy from uPlay. Epic could do the exact same. There will always be a few that are too stubborn and will never enjoy the games but their aim is to win over the masses not absolutely every body. 

They already dropped the cut somewhat, but the cut doesnt matter in the end since moneyhatting a large sum of money prevails over any cut. Once again if the cut mattered, then Discord and itch.io would be getting games left and right. Epic's pretty much doing what Sony and MS has been doing for years on the console space.

Also Valve developing games wont entice devs/pubs to release games on Steam unless what you posted was a joke post l0l

People didnt buy games from Uplay until Uplay was pressured into adopting Steam like qualities - i.e. Having sales, releasing keys on third party sites - and despite that, people still bought them on Steam over Uplay.

Every PC game released between Steam and Uplay- there were more being sold on Steam.  If they released Ubisoft games across Uplay, EGS and Steam - the numbers would be like

Steam > Uplay >>>>EGS.

Epic can only moneyhat to get an advantage but its a double edged sword since games arent just being released on their store unlike Steam.

Edit: I think EGS if it is successful in any way, will end up like MS is like in the console space compared to Steam which is like Playstation and GOG like Nintendo.

The difference with steam is games sell a lot on there so cutting their share from 30% to 15/10% is huge in terms of revenue big games would be pulling in. If STEAM match epic for rev share or get close then they'd have to spend more money to win devs over. Right now steam are sitting back and making Epic's job easier to compete.

Kerotan said:

The difference with steam is games sell a lot on there so cutting their share from 30% to 15/10% is huge in terms of revenue big games would be pulling in. If STEAM match epic for rev share or get close then they'd have to spend more money to win devs over. Right now steam are sitting back and making Epic's job easier to compete.

They sell more on Steam because the sale deals are better than what Epic has (which btw Epic says that they wont hold sales events like other stores) which is no surprise cause if they held a sales event with the cut they make, probably wouldnt last long lol.

Anyways, "the cut" is a false argument because there are stores that offer a better cut yet are not even successful and besides PSN/XBL/Nintendo all charge the same 30% yet rake in more cause they charge for online MP.

The only reason why Epic is even getting any games released on their store is because they are paying developers/publishers, otherwise their store would end up like EA or Ubisoft's - which would be bad in their case because their only IP is literally Fortnite lol.

I would prefer all stores get every game and then the storefronts fight by doing competitive sale deal events (like GMG, Fanatical, Humble, etc are doing), expanding to other platforms (i.e. Linux, MacOS, etc), and releasing new features and enhancements such as controller configuration, mod support, streaming capability, in store rewards such as what Steam does with Steam cards where you actually earn money by playing games, etc.

QoL updates for the client is a plus too.

For an example: https://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

As of now, Steam is making EGS change its policies (Regional pricing, refunds, third party key resellers etc) from all the pressuring from sites like ResetERA/Reddit and of course some big releases not showing up on EGS like Halo MCC and Sekiro, which is great because as of now, EGS wont be able to compete.

Hoping for sales events, consumer reviews and support pages to actually appear in EGS in the next few months - some basic stuff that every store should personally have imo.

Hopefully this leads to more console exclusives being released on PC which is a win win.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 20 March 2019

Basil's YouTube Channel

Finially companies are seeing the bigger picture. As Phil mentioned, there are more than 2billion gamers out there, not just 100million.
Though none of these games have me slightly interested however i am looking forward too more to come.

Seems Sony is Pro Epic Store and MS Pro Steam store as of late.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Finially companies are seeing the bigger picture. As Phil mentioned, there are more than 2billion gamers out there, not just 100million.
Though none of these games have me slightly interested however i am looking forward too more to come.

That is quite a stretch lmao.

Basil's YouTube Channel

I think this decision was made because quantic dream and Sony had a bit of fall out recently related to the controversy surrounding QD and Sony Distancing themselves from the developer and also It seems Sony might have bagged Suppermassive Games, creator of Untill Dawn to make choice based Games going forward for PS5 not to mention the development time QD takes it too much.

But Good News For PC gamers, cant wait to see what kind of Graphical settings will be on PC for Detroit.. that game looks gorgeous on PS4

BasilZero said:
Azzanation said:

That is quite a stretch lmao.

Very much a stretch. 

John2290 said:
Kerotan said:

Exactly and Uplay didn't need to buy half of the competitions most anticipated list, the fact that they have got so many games lined up, such a low cut and the backlash isn't deterring sales is enough for publisher to start throwing themselves into these deals and that is what I mean by by critical mass. Once have enough big publishers that it worked out for like 4A games and Deep Silver then they'll start moving in flocks to Epic and gain more ground on steam than any launcher before it, perhaps rivalling it when every developer under the sun starts saying "our games are 10 spoons cheaper on the Epic store". Steam, like you did need to at least shave something off of that cut, they hav'nt had this kind of competition before and they are handling it badly by doing fuck all, Exclusives and valve games will help but it will only retain Steam players something I don't see as an issue as they aren't going to loose loyal users anyway. It's the casual market that is the main fuckeroo in the mouth to them that Epic will take q chunk out of, so they need to retain developers or take away the ability for Epic devs to advertise cheaper games over Steam. These launcher are free to users, only indie hard idiots are going to pass up the chance for free and cheaper games and Steam would be lucky if 5% of their users knew about epics API nonsense in the news. Bad times for steam, hope they can get it together before Epic start actually making a decent launcher. 

Theres just so much wrong in this giant wall of text .

Please use the space bar and stick to console gaming l0l

Basil's YouTube Channel

Interesting times.

Steam need to get their act together, for too long they have just relied on being the place to be while others have come along and started to do better or more interesting things. I don't recall the last time I brought a game on steam, most games for the last two years have been on gog. I haven't purchased anything off Epic yet, but they will get movement by doing this and all the time, steam just look a little old hat.

Steam forgot the main reason why most of us purchased games on their site, it was because of games like portal and half life, they stopped making those games and just relied on being the number 1 distributor. They need to get making games (and I dont mean card games)... otherwise Epic will end up being the store people will go to.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!