Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Republican Party Discussion

HylianSwordsman said:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/11/12/republican-mark-sanford-ends-presidential-bid/2575484001/

I know no one is paying attention to this race, but Sanford dropped out. Just figured I'd mention in case you wanted to update the first post.

Thanks for the heads up. 

I'm shocked he dropped.  At the current rate of progression with the impeachment process, Trump may not be on the ballot in 12 months and his competition would (currently) be Bill Weld and Joe Walsh. 

But after checking his finances, it appears he was not gaining donations.  In fact, he only spent $2,300 in the first 3 weeks of his campaign.  If I were Walsh or Weld, I'd be campaigning my ass off right now at the possibility of a Trump-less RNC. 

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Around the Network

President Trump has reported $46 million in 4th quarter fundraising. This is his best quarter so far surpassing the $41 million raised in the 3rd quarter.

While most eyes are on the Democratic caucus, the Republicans also held a caucus in Iowa tonight.

Due to the incumbent nature of this race and the limited impact of his challengers, the results are already in.

2020 Iowa Republican caucuses
Party Candidate Votes %
Republican Donald Trump (incumbent) 18,945 97.0
Republican Bill Weld 256 1.3
Republican Joe Walsh 231 1.2
Republican Other 92 0.5
Total votes 19,524 100%

What I'm really curious about is 2024 (assuming Trump wins 2020 and can't run in 2024. If he loses 2024 he may just pull a Grover Cleveland and go for a non-consecutive second term).

Current frontrunners Prediction in no particular order:
Nikki Haley
Donald Trump Jr.
Ivanka Trump (could you imagine?)

Guys who think they will have a shot but really don't:
Mike Pence (too serious, he needs to lighten up a little)
Mitt Romney (too Mormon)
Mike Huckabee (too Baptist, for the record I mostly identify as a Southern Baptist and supported this guy in 2008 primaries)

Hilarious troll candidacy that will either be a laugh or somehow win the whole thing:
Kanye West

Any others I'm missing in these categories?

Dulfite said:
What I'm really curious about is 2024 (assuming Trump wins 2020 and can't run in 2024. If he loses 2024 he may just pull a Grover Cleveland and go for a non-consecutive second term).

Current frontrunners Prediction in no particular order:
Nikki Haley
Donald Trump Jr.
Ivanka Trump (could you imagine?)

Guys who think they will have a shot but really don't:
Mike Pence (too serious, he needs to lighten up a little)
Mitt Romney (too Mormon)
Mike Huckabee (too Baptist, for the record I mostly identify as a Southern Baptist and supported this guy in 2008 primaries)

Hilarious troll candidacy that will either be a laugh or somehow win the whole thing:
Kanye West

Any others I'm missing in these categories?

The big ones in my view are:

• Nikki Haley
  • Ron DeSantis
  • Ted Cruz
  • Tom Cotton
  • Greg Abbott
  • Mike Pence
  • Ben Sasse
  • Dan Crenshaw

Nikki Haley's the early frontrunner I think though.  She's literally the only politician I know of that's managed to stay on good terms with the Trump crowd while also being able to publicly criticize him from time to time.  That alone should tell you she's a formidable politician.

Ben Sasse is a personal favorite of mine, but I'll admit he doesn't have much of a chance.

Ron DeSantis has been making some waves down in Florida.  Surprising since the state has been dominated by Republicans since the 90s (Charlie Crist notwithstanding), but he hasn't been afraid to step on some toes in order to get stuff done.  Wouldn't surprise me if he nudges Rubio out of the way.

Darkhorse would be Dan Crenshaw.  Young, quick witted, and that eyepatch just gives him a unique look.

Around the Network

Serious candidates with the most potential at the moment are definitely Nikki Hailey and Ron DeSantis. I think Mitt Romney burned his bridge with the impeachment trial vote. While it definitely gave the centrists something to consider, it might be too much for mainstream Republicans to accept.

Pence...I just don't know. For some reason I can't see him following Trump. There just doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for him.

I could see Matt Gaetz eventually going for it. Perhaps not 2024 but maybe 2028 running against....AOC (that would certainly make for one wild election cycle).

Mark Cuban maybe.

I'd like to see Jon Huntsman Jr or John Kasich run again. I think they had a lot of potential.

SpokenTruth said:
I'd like to see Jon Huntsman Jr or John Kasich run again. I think they had a lot of potential.

I never like hearing people say stuff like this.  It's like a Republican saying that the Democrats should nominate Tulsi Gabbard.  It only makes sense if you're standing in the opposite camp.

NightlyPoe said:
SpokenTruth said:

I never like hearing people say stuff like this.  It's like a Republican saying that the Democrats should nominate Tulsi Gabbard.  It only makes sense if you're standing in the opposite camp.

It might surprise you but I have been known to change my party registration.  And yes, I liked both of those candidates.

SpokenTruth said:
NightlyPoe said:

It might surprise you but I have been known to change my party registration.  And yes, I liked both of those candidates.

Either way.  Neither would stand a chance.  Personally, I can't stand Kasich.  Dude refused to drop out until the day after Ted Cruz conceded the nomination to Trump.  He literally stayed in the race just to play spoiler and split the anti-Trump vote.  And, yes, it could have made a difference.  Not with certainty, but there was still a chance until Trump swept the 2nd Super Tuesday.  Cruz* would have won at least 2 of the 4 states up for grabs, and possibly 3 of the 4 if Kasich had only stepped aside.

Then he turns into a Never Trumper after his ego personally ensures Trump's nomination.  Guy's just ridiculous.

*Say what you will about Cruz, but his personal character is nowhere near as morally objectionable as Trump's.

NightlyPoe said:
SpokenTruth said:

Either way.  Neither would stand a chance.  Personally, I can't stand Kasich.  Dude refused to drop out until the day after Ted Cruz conceded the nomination to Trump.  He literally stayed in the race just to play spoiler and split the anti-Trump vote.  And, yes, it could have made a difference.  Not with certainty, but there was still a chance until Trump swept the 2nd Super Tuesday.  Cruz* would have won at least 2 of the 4 states up for grabs, and possibly 3 of the 4 if Kasich had only stepped aside.

Then he turns into a Never Trumper after his ego personally ensures Trump's nomination.  Guy's just ridiculous.

*Say what you will about Cruz, but his personal character is nowhere near as morally objectionable as Trump's.

Cruz is definitely a better option than Trump.  Same with Rubio.  I can understand Trump supporters not liking Kasich given all that but for those on the right that really didn't want Trump he was their guy.

What are you thoughts on Huntsman?  Imagine his take on Chinese trade right now.