By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Piranha Plant is now playable in SSBU

mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Along with Piranha Plant we also get a bunch of nerfs and buffs.

Mostly buffs, but honestly most of them were rather irrelevant. i don't see the meta changing much if at all, only significant change I think was Rosalina & Luma, she seems to have been buffed quite a bit. Everyone else, nah.

Since the roster is as closely balanced as post-patch Sheik and pre-Bayo Smash 4, I think incremental changes are a good start. There is no definitive best character and there have been a variety of tournament winners. I mean, Tweek and Gluttony have great Warios, MKLeo's Ike is crazy, Nairo and Dabuz are great with Palutena, then you have other great players who play characters like Wolf, Pichu, Yoshi, Fox, Snake, etc.

It's kinda nuts how many different matchups I have seen so far almost 2 months into the game. Now, we have Genesis coming up soon and that will be an interesting showcase on what the meta looks like at this time.

Around the Network
Baddman said:
It's girl? I always thought it was a guy

Mar1217 said:
A plant has technically both reproductive organs, it's a "it".

Palutena's Guidance for Piranha Plant uses she/her, it's canonically a female (at least the one in Smash anyway)

RingoGaSuki said:
Baddman said:
It's girl? I always thought it was a guy

Mar1217 said:
A plant has technically both reproductive organs, it's a "it".

Palutena's Guidance for Piranha Plant uses she/her, it's canonically a female (at least the one in Smash anyway)

i actually double checked. the "she" that Palutena is referring to is actually Viridi. Piranha Plant is genderless

Kai_Mao said:
mZuzek said:

Mostly buffs, but honestly most of them were rather irrelevant. i don't see the meta changing much if at all, only significant change I think was Rosalina & Luma, she seems to have been buffed quite a bit. Everyone else, nah.

Since the roster is as closely balanced as post-patch Sheik and pre-Bayo Smash 4, I think incremental changes are a good start. There is no definitive best character and there have been a variety of tournament winners. I mean, Tweek and Gluttony have great Warios, MKLeo's Ike is crazy, Nairo and Dabuz are great with Palutena, then you have other great players who play characters like Wolf, Pichu, Yoshi, Fox, Snake, etc.

It's kinda nuts how many different matchups I have seen so far almost 2 months into the game. Now, we have Genesis coming up soon and that will be an interesting showcase on what the meta looks like at this time.

Eh, it's more balanced than Smash 4 ever was in my opinion, and I agree that it's good to take things easy early on to allow people to learn and adapt, and let the meta evolve before you start making too many big changes.

That said, at the moment I do feel there are a few characters who are either slightly too good or bad - I actually made a tier list here yesterday and I had the whole cast split near evenly in mid and high tiers, except for 4 low tiers (Little Mac, Kirby, Bowser Jr. and Mii Gunner) and 5 top tiers (Inkling, Pichu, Peach/Daisy, Fox and Olimar), as well as ten or so I didn't put anywhere cause I still haven't seen much of (though I don't see any of them being top tier either). Some characters near the top of high tier have been getting great results (Palutena, Lucina, Wario, Link etc) but I don't think they're quite as good as the best.

Of course, this is just my opinion and there's much I don't know, but essentially, yeah. I think those 5 characters need considerable nerfs, the bottom 4 (and maybe a few more from the bottom of mid tier) need considerable buffs, and about half the cast could use some slight buffs. I'm happy to wait, though, because it's better to approach the meta with care than have another Greninja situation, especially when it's already as balanced as it is.