Forums - General Discussion - Today I took my first japanese class at my local college (need help)

It's important to note that the numbers from 1 to 9 have 2 different pronunciations for different contexts. Usually when you're just counting up you can use the On versions of the numbers. In your case that would mean 4 = shi and 7 = shichi instead of their Kun versions yon and nana. The Kun versions are mostly used when you quantify something. For example listing things you would use yon instead of shi, but also futatsu instead of ni.

Though your version is fine too. I hope your teacher already told you that there are two versions.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Why not just search it up or ask someone who knows Japanese in your area?

Devour me like your unborn fetus 

Maybe learning by playing could help you. If you think so, try this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/438270/Learn_Japanese_To_Survive_Hiragana_Battle/ and the other 2 parts, which are about Kanji and Katakana, respectively

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 25 January 2019

I'm learning little by little with this thread. Watching anime all day everyday may have my comprehension of Japanese a bit skewed.

PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Rafie said:
I'm learning little by little with this thread. Watching anime all day everyday may have my comprehension of Japanese a bit skewed.

You also have to take into account that subtitles wont do exact translations most of the time.  Cultural differences being a major player in a translation veering pretty far off from its literal translation.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Rafie said:

You also have to take into account that subtitles wont do exact translations most of the time.  Cultural differences being a major player in a translation veering pretty far off from its literal translation.

And puns often can't be translated, so whenever someone reacts to one the translators have basically to create a new one to fit in

2nd day in class I learned
o = お
ku = く
u = う
ke = け
ko = こ

The other 5 i have trouble

My xbl:dx11332sega

My second Xbl:Segasaturnsan

My psn:Segasaturnsan

My Nintendo Friend Code:1302-4985-4999

My Steam:dx11332sega

My youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2EeIs1FP89Oz7du7IAEbqg?view_as=subscriber

i = い
a = あ
e is a mess
the other 2 I dont know

My youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2EeIs1FP89Oz7du7IAEbqg?view_as=subscriber

Bofferbrauer2 said:
MDMAlliance said:

And puns often can't be translated, so whenever someone reacts to one the translators have basically to create a new one to fit in

This takes me back to the Nintendo Switch reveal presentation, where they revealed Travis Strikes Again and the interpreter couldn't deal with Suda at all. I was watching the Japanese presentation, went back and watched the English one later after seeing him get bashed online and felt so bad for him. As someone who works in Japanese-English interpreting/translating, Suda was literally just dropping Japanese pro-wrestling jokes that you need a bunch of specific knowledge for, there's no way you can just interpret that on the spot, the dude did the best he could do. People don't realise how hard it is to achieve the general goal of interpreting - getting the same response out of your audience as the original did.

ka = か
e = え

Does anyone know this one ? き