By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devil May Cry 5 is the Best Looking 60 fps game on consoles

curl-6 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

You guys are missing the point here. Compare Hellblade and Devil May Cry 5 on PS4 for instance. Devil May Cry 5 has better materials and volumetric effects, lots more enemies on screen and they look comparable in other areas, but Hellblade is running at 30 fps and DMC at 60 fps. Same for Xbox One X, they might run at the same framerate but to achieve that Hellblade is running at much lower resolution than DMC. DMC looks amazing while NOT sacrificing either resolution else framerate, which is why the engine is impressive and nothing on Unreal Engine has achieved the same.

DMC5 doesn't have better materials than Hellblade. Skin for example is much more nuanced and organic in Hellblade. 

Honestly, DMC5 doesn't look all that impressive on the whole, to me anyway. It certainly doesn't look bad, but it's environments are generally quite sparse and its characters significantly less sophisticated than Hellblade's. In order to run at 1080p/60, it sacrifices detail.

From what I've seen from the multiple demo playthroughs, it doesn't seem like we can interact with the environment, much at all. I was hoping for some epic level destruction physics, but it seems like we'll have to wait until next gen for a new DMC that will give us some decent destructible environments. All the current environments in-game seem to stem from progressive boss fights, which is what we've already seen countless times via previous DMC and even bayonetta games. 



Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:

GOWTLOZ said: 

You guys are missing the point here. Compare Hellblade and Devil May Cry 5 on PS4 for instance. Devil May Cry 5 has better materials and volumetric effects, lots more enemies on screen and they look comparable in other areas, but Hellblade is running at 30 fps and DMC at 60 fps. Same for Xbox One X, they might run at the same framerate but to achieve that Hellblade is running at much lower resolution than DMC. DMC looks amazing while NOT sacrificing either resolution else framerate, which is why the engine is impressive and nothing on Unreal Engine has achieved the same.

In what we currently have had hands on with, the base Xbox One struggles to get to 60 fps and isn't there consistently enough for the 60 fps cap to be meaningful. Granted, this is pre-release code that's definitely months old but it's all we have to go by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxAh9LPqkCE

In addition, as others have stated, the teams using UE4 generally have lower budgets and development windows (which might be why they're using an off the shelf engine instead of developing a proprietary one in the first place) so the output of UE4 is skewed to look worse than the engine is actually capable of. Yeah, it won't get to the point of something that's purpose built for the features it's going to use but it will get fairly close when used well (80-95%).

But it's also disingenuous to say something that's 1080p60 is automatically technically superior to something that's 900p60 with 1) little description of the actual effects or quality (i.e. sampling) of effects enabled as well as speaking to how well that 60 fps target is consistently hit. Something can use a lower number of samples but be tailor made to produce a certain look that ends up looking better than something that's more technically demanding. This is where the purpose built nature of proprietary engines makes the difference. Even so though, UE4 has found fairly good uses to fit your goal posts set in this thread. SF5 and DBFighterZ both hit 1080p60 with next to no issues on base PS4 and show the engine's flexibility to artistic expression and effects. Deracine also hit lofty goals using UE4 on base PS4 hardware used for VR. Ace Combat should be 60fps as well (not sure about resolution). And of course there's Fortnite, GRID, Injustice 2, and Lawbreakers that all manage that target, and the upcoming Mortal Kombat 6 and Jump Force that are aiming to hit 1080p60 with some pretty incredible use of details and effects. 

Finally, when it comes to GPU tech I've personally experienced better performance in UE3/4 when using nVidia hardware vs AMD hardware and I'm not alone. This adds an additional skew when it comes to UE4 on consoles, meanwhile the Switch is doing quite well with it (see the new Yoshi game and Snake Pass on Switch vs PS4 scaling better than most other titles).

These are just all things to take into consideration before making a generalization that UE4 is "a failure".

That was an old build of UE. You might want to use Fortnite as a good comparison for UE4. 



globalisateur said: 

That was an old build of UE. You might want to use Fortnite as a good comparison for UE4. 

It was but older versions of UE were used for games during the course of this gen too so the point still applies as those older games are still being used to judge it in a poor light on consoles. I think UE is a pretty good general engine and I like the steady rate of improvement it sees over the course of a gen. I'm all for developers using it to get their original ideas out to gamers without having to worry about budgets to build tech to power their vision. Many games that use it wouldn't have been made if more general engines like Unreal and Unity didn't exist and there's the added advantage of a knowledge sharing community around these engines to aid in getting the best out of them.

Also, I did mention Fortnite as a great use of the engine on consoles along with a bunch of other titles. 



Well being nice looking and 60fps on base X1 and PS4 there is a good shot of it getting a Switch port down the road that is fully competent.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trasharmdsister12 said:

globalisateur said: 

That was an old build of UE. You might want to use Fortnite as a good comparison for UE4. 

It was but older versions of UE were used for games during the course of this gen too so the point still applies as those older games are still being used to judge it in a poor light on consoles. I think UE is a pretty good general engine and I like the steady rate of improvement it sees over the course of a gen. I'm all for developers using it to get their original ideas out to gamers without having to worry about budgets to build tech to power their vision. Many games that use it wouldn't have been made if more general engines like Unreal and Unity didn't exist and there's the added advantage of a knowledge sharing community around these engines to aid in getting the best out of them.

Also, I did mention Fortnite as a great use of the engine on consoles along with a bunch of other titles. 

I'm totally in for the top level AAA games using proprietary engine to squeeze the platform to the upmost and delivering eye candy while middle level project uses UE4 and share knowledge, tools, assets etc to achieve a very competent and pleasant game on a budget.

As always I'm totally in favor of having full spectrum of games available to choose to your taste, all genres and in each going from Indie to B, A, AA, AAA and the top dogs. There is always something to met your target.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

It's a very good looking game and I have a feeling that many people in this thread are underestimating how good it will look at launch. Stuff like Hellblade isn't available at 60FPS on the base consoles whereas DMCV has to be at a consistent 60FPS on all consoles, whether Pro or not. It also has much bigger environments with more enemies on screen, so it's not really a wonder why something like Hellblade can fall on the beauty of it's more individually fine tuned graphics. That being said, it will be hard to beat games from studios like DICE anyways in that department. As long as the graphics complement what the developers are going for from a tone and gameplay perspective, it should be a great result.

Honestly ... the fact that this whole thing became about how much of a failure Unreal Engine 4 is when, it wasn't one at all, is very silly.