By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Slightly Mad Studios’ CEO Reveals Details on Their New Console

Intrinsic said:
Someone should sit these people down and tell them t take whatever money they have and make a great multiplatform game instead. Cause they simply d not have new console type of money.

Like how did this happen? There wasnt a single person in the room that spoke up and said this was a mad idea?

Reminds me of that cartoon meme where the guy gets thrown from the office window during the meeting.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

CEO of Slighty Mad Studios and also know for slightly (not) overpromissing and underdelivering.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:
Someone should sit these people down and tell them t take whatever money they have and make a great multiplatform game instead. Cause they simply d not have new console type of money.

Like how did this happen? There wasnt a single person in the room that spoke up and said this was a mad idea?

Reminds me of that cartoon meme where the guy gets thrown from the office window during the meeting.

that is a good summary of their meeting "why don't we make a good game instead? Get throw out of the window".

But they could start their brand of gaming pc with one dedicated hw and open os supporting all vr devices. vould do better than steambox, they just need to make a good plan and positioning.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Not much more expensive? This thing will probably be as powerful as next gen systems, maybe a little less, but will easily cost $150-$200 more than them. Why? Because they can't negotiate the same kind of deals Sony/MS can. They'll probably have to pay close to MSRP for the parts because of the low volume of orders and the low chance of success. Every part of the process has to be handled by 3rd parties, including  R&D  and distribution, which will further add to the price.

Not even Valve could get Steam Machines out at a reasonable price. A cheaper one my friend picked up, which on paper wasn't that much powerful than the Pro, was over $600 bucks.  It just isn't happening.

The only way would be to sell at a big loss and they arent a huge company like Sony or Mircrosoft that can eat big losses for a few years.

Yep.  And that is really something I think Sony and MS are going to do next gen, too.  I could see Sony having a machine that's $449-$499 for them to make, but price it at $399.  At best, Slightly Mad would be able to sell this at break even.  Though, I would expect them to want to make a slight profit off of it.

So, yea, unless the specs aren't actually that great, I'd expect a price of at least $599.

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

that is a good summary of their meeting "why don't we make a good game instead? Get throw out of the window".

But they could start their brand of gaming pc with one dedicated hw and open os supporting all vr devices. vould do better than steambox, they just need to make a good plan and positioning.

Awwwwww thats so sweet. You see the good in everyone.

Around the Network

I'm curious about it. Sure it's not easy to jump into the competition without experience, but there's always a first time for everybody. For Sony and MS have been easier, they are two massive Company.

They need big support, we'll see how they will handle this.

Last edited by Nate4Drake - on 04 January 2019

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I have no doubt that Mad Box will have the most FLOPS of any console in the history of video gaming.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

Awwwwww thats so sweet. You see the good in everyone.

I'm a golden hearted boy =p

Dell came from nowhere and basically no money and made a very good and strong brand of computers even if they don't really manufacture anything. As I said a good plan and positioning, but I don't thing this is a company that could do it, I'm still burned by Project Car 1, to the point of not buying PC2 even in bargain bin until now.

HoloDust said:
I have no doubt that Mad Box will have the most FLOPS of any console in the history of video gaming.

Man, that is hard. There were so great flops during 80's and 90's without even touching Ouya and Steambox.

https://techcrunch.com/gallery/a-history-of-video-game-console-failures/

Nate4Drake said:

I'm curious about it. Sure it's not easy to jump into the competition without experience, but there's always a first time for everybody. For Sony and MS have been easier, they are two massive Company.

"theres always a first time for everybody"

Thats right, but if the price of entry to make a "good" attempt, is too high.
Then without the right backing, you can only make halfarsed attempts doomed to fail and end up costing you money, and makeing a bad product.

Thats why just saying "theres a first time for everyone" isnt right in this situation.
Its not about trying and learning from it, its about this wont even give them a learning experiance, but most likely ruin them as a company, while giveing a product that ll only end up feeling like they cheated the people that buy it (like ouya).

Unless you can make a serious attempt at entry into the console market, you shouldnt do it (imo).
This isnt a serious attempt, they are doomed to fail from the start, and will most likely end up bankrupt, and selling people a expensive console that does little to nothing.

JRPGfan said:
Nate4Drake said:

"theres always a first time for everybody"

Thats right, but if the price of entry to make a "good" attempt, is too high.
Then without the right backing, you can only make halfarsed attempts doomed to fail and end up costing you money, and makeing a bad product.

Thats why just saying "theres a first time for everyone" isnt right in this situation.
Its not about trying and learning from it, its about this wont even give them a learning experiance, but most likely ruin them as a company, while giveing a product that ll only end up feeling like they cheated the people that buy it (like ouya).

Unless you can make a serious attempt at entry into the console market, you shouldnt do it (imo).
This isnt a serious attempt, they are doomed to fail from the start, and will most likely end up bankrupt, and selling people a expensive console that does little to nothing.

I am the first to be very skeptical, and I wouldn't bet a penny on it, given the competition.

But a part of me would like a new competitor in the Market, and I would like Sega back, but I know it's just a dream.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.