By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Slightly Mad Studios’ CEO Reveals Details on Their New Console

Needs exclusives before I'd consider even looking into it.

Around the Network

This has to be the earliest April Fool's joke I've ever seen. Because it's either that, or he has really become mad.

There's no way in hell a small studio can build and launch a successful console, not without some very big company behind them, and I doubt that's the case.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Slightly Mad? More like Completely Mad.

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

This is going to be like that other company that made their own VR machine... Dead on Arrival.... wasted R&D for someones pride project.

Why these companies feel they can take on the big boys I dont know.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Almost feels like they want to get publicity. Just what he is promising. Maybe he thinks some investors would be suckered in?

Around the Network

Expensive
VR focused
unknown company to the general public
what could go wrong?

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

Lafiel said:
JRPGfan said:

Steam tried that and failed because of it.
People dont want that, if they did they d get a real pc themselves instead.

People want consoles because they are consoles, and not just pc's that look like a console.
Its the ease of use ect that draws people into console ecosystem.

Steam failed because the "machines" were too expensive, had dozens of different specs and many of the available builds just made no sense. If there is only 1, well rounded configuration that realiably does 4k60 or close (VRR could make 40+fps "smooth" in the near future) and is not much more expensive than the "real" consoles, then I think the concept can work.

Not much more expensive? This thing will probably be as powerful as next gen systems, maybe a little less, but will easily cost $150-$200 more than them. Why? Because they can't negotiate the same kind of deals Sony/MS can. They'll probably have to pay close to MSRP for the parts because of the low volume of orders and the low chance of success. Every part of the process has to be handled by 3rd parties, including  R&D  and distribution, which will further add to the price.

Not even Valve could get Steam Machines out at a reasonable price. A cheaper one my friend picked up, which on paper wasn't that much powerful than the Pro, was over $600 bucks.  It just isn't happening.

Masked_Muchaco said:
Slightly Mad? More like Completely Mad.

manuelogando40 said:
Expensive
VR focused
unknown company to the general public
what could go wrong?

Yep this sounds like a good way to lose money.
You need to be really damn sure of yourself and your bussiness plan if your gonna attempt something like this.
Look how steam console, and Ouya turned out.... I wont have higher expectations for this either.

padib said:
I like where this is coming from, but for this to work they would have to have money and a pedigree of supporting open platforms.

I support their initiative but I don't believe they will be able to make it fly. For that, a better contender for this kind of thing would be Google.

^ this.

You need to have alot of money ready to invest, if your gonna attempt to make a mainsteam console.
These guys dont have the capital to make a serious run at it, so it ll likely end up half-arsed, which is just not how you should appoarch makeing consoles.

Big companies could afford to do so, if they had some reason/bussiness plan that could play into their strengths.
Be they distribution/digital stores/hardware guys.... a small software studio today isnt "big" enough to attempt to make a console like PS or XB.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 03 January 2019

thismeintiel said:
Lafiel said:

Steam failed because the "machines" were too expensive, had dozens of different specs and many of the available builds just made no sense. If there is only 1, well rounded configuration that realiably does 4k60 or close (VRR could make 40+fps "smooth" in the near future) and is not much more expensive than the "real" consoles, then I think the concept can work.

Not much more expensive? This thing will probably be as powerful as next gen systems, maybe a little less, but will easily cost $150-$200 more than them. Why? Because they can't negotiate the same kind of deals Sony/MS can. They'll probably have to pay close to MSRP for the parts because of the low volume of orders and the low chance of success. Every part of the process has to be handled by 3rd parties, including  R&D  and distribution, which will further add to the price.

Not even Valve could get Steam Machines out at a reasonable price. A cheaper one my friend picked up, which on paper wasn't that much powerful than the Pro, was over $600 bucks.  It just isn't happening.

The only way would be to sell at a big loss and they arent a huge company like Sony or Mircrosoft that can eat big losses for a few years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Someone should sit these people down and tell them t take whatever money they have and make a great multiplatform game instead. Cause they simply d not have new console type of money.

Like how did this happen? There wasnt a single person in the room that spoke up and said this was a mad idea?