Forums - Gaming Discussion - Slightly Mad Studios’ CEO Reveals Details on Their New Console

They can barely run their own studio and PR department, they really think this is gonna work?

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Horrible name for a console imo.... the name alone is a issue.
Also a super expensive, VR focused console? good luck selling that.

Plus you cant just rely on 3rd party.
Anyone hopeing to step into the console bussiness needs to have some studio's behinde them or its just not going to work imo.

expecting this thing to flop.

I know a mobile phone isn't the same thing, but I said exactly the same about Apple, and just look what happened there. They haven't made one game, and the ios library is FULL with garbage and shit. Didn't matter..

JRPGfan said:
Lafiel said:
I wonder if they'll allow windows + all the PC online stores on their machine. That would make it a better steam machine and if the price is within console range it could become a quite popular pc config devs could target.

Steam tried that and failed because of it.
People dont want that, if they did they d get a real pc themselves instead.

People want consoles because they are consoles, and not just pc's that look like a console.
Its the ease of use ect that draws people into console ecosystem.

Steam failed because the "machines" were too expensive, had dozens of different specs and many of the available builds just made no sense. If there is only 1, well rounded configuration that realiably does 4k60 or close (VRR could make 40+fps "smooth" in the near future) and is not much more expensive than the "real" consoles, then I think the concept can work.

Last edited by Lafiel - on 03 January 2019

Needs exclusives before I'd consider even looking into it.

This has to be the earliest April Fool's joke I've ever seen. Because it's either that, or he has really become mad.

There's no way in hell a small studio can build and launch a successful console, not without some very big company behind them, and I doubt that's the case.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Slightly Mad? More like Completely Mad.

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

This is going to be like that other company that made their own VR machine... Dead on Arrival.... wasted R&D for someones pride project.

Why these companies feel they can take on the big boys I dont know.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Almost feels like they want to get publicity. Just what he is promising. Maybe he thinks some investors would be suckered in?

Expensive
VR focused
unknown company to the general public
what could go wrong?

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

Lafiel said:
JRPGfan said:

Steam tried that and failed because of it.
People dont want that, if they did they d get a real pc themselves instead.

People want consoles because they are consoles, and not just pc's that look like a console.
Its the ease of use ect that draws people into console ecosystem.

Steam failed because the "machines" were too expensive, had dozens of different specs and many of the available builds just made no sense. If there is only 1, well rounded configuration that realiably does 4k60 or close (VRR could make 40+fps "smooth" in the near future) and is not much more expensive than the "real" consoles, then I think the concept can work.

Not much more expensive? This thing will probably be as powerful as next gen systems, maybe a little less, but will easily cost $150-$200 more than them. Why? Because they can't negotiate the same kind of deals Sony/MS can. They'll probably have to pay close to MSRP for the parts because of the low volume of orders and the low chance of success. Every part of the process has to be handled by 3rd parties, including  R&D  and distribution, which will further add to the price.

Not even Valve could get Steam Machines out at a reasonable price. A cheaper one my friend picked up, which on paper wasn't that much powerful than the Pro, was over $600 bucks.  It just isn't happening.