By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Changes to Software Tracking – 2019 Onwards

RIP, loved the weekly charts, Easily the main reasons I came and lurked for so many years and then signed up. Good luck with the new system.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
End of an era. Those weekly charts are why I visited this site for over 10 years and why I signed up. I'll give the new system a chance before making a judgement.

Gonna miss them too.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Damn. I'm gonna be really sad to see the weekly charts go. Those were definitely the biggest things I was looking forward to the most on this site.
I have hopes that the new system will be just as, if not more effective and enjoyable to look forward too.

About the system that did the software charts planning on making it publicly available?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Sad day, but I guess increased digital sales had lowered overall accuracy of physical sales tracking only too much. Just one thing, please, leave the old charts accessible.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Machina said: 

- However, all of that requires Talon to do a lot more work on the search engine pages and so it's not currently ready. That explains why for now Marth and I have only been adding shipments for exclusives and also why all of the changes haven't gone live just yet. Once Talon's finished the work on how multiplats end up displaying we'll be able to roll out the new system in full, retire all of the old systems but allow people to continue to access them as 'legacy' features if they so wish, and Marth and I will get busy adding data for thousands of multiplat titles.

I think that covers everything for now. It's kind of difficult to explain some of the changes without visual aids but I've given it my best shot above. If you have any questions though just ask.

So regarding these legacy features, does this mean we'll have access to every sales estimate chart ever produced in the history of the site, forever? Because I'll miss them if they go away, and there's just so much data there, even if it isn't perfectly accurate, that it would just be a horrible shame to lose it all, or any of it for that matter. I'm sure there's still plenty of use we can get out of it.

kirby007 said:
About the system that did the software charts planning on making it publicly available?

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
kirby007 said:

Interesting question 

I would like to ask a question, it might be a silly one but that doesn't stop them popping into my mind, have you thought about approaching Sony for sales data that includes digital, now i'm not talking up to date sales, more along the lines of getting historical data from PS3 and PS4, and if that succeeds then convincing them to do periodic updates of Sony games since anything on a small time scale ain't happening.
Then you just have left the super easy task of getting Sony to convince 3rd parties to add their games.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

TalonMan said:
kirby007 said:

I'll answer that one:   No.

It's Brett's software, his algorithm - and no, it stays locked behind the door.

mjk45 said:
I would like to ask a question, it might be a silly one but that doesn't stop them popping into my mind, have you thought about approaching Sony for sales data that includes digital, now i'm not talking up to date sales, more along the lines of getting historical data from PS3 and PS4, and if that succeeds then convincing them to do periodic updates of Sony games since anything on a small time scale ain't happening.
Then you just have left the super easy task of getting Sony to convince 3rd parties to add their games.

I've mulled this over myself, because frankly it's just too damn easy for MS, Sony, and Nintendo to, at the very least, know and release digital sales numbers - there's no possible way on any planet, they don't have this basic information readily available...      ...and yet, neither one of the three has ever been forthcoming with releasing those numbers to ANYONE. I don't know why - I don't know what the big secret is all about. But I just don't see them giving that information over to us (or anyone else) without somebody forking over $$ for the data.

Recon he'd sell it? @ioi would you?