By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I leave the forum for a few hours and this is what happens.  That will teach me to not live on here 24/7. 

Based on S.Peelman's post, it also feels like he was checking my lists from previous years out, hm... so, how does it feel to lose to a filthy cheater?

He seems like a good guy to me.  I couldn't have lost to a nicer filthy cheater. 

Anywho, here are some statistics for my list:

Breakdown of platforms
(if its on 2 platforms I give it 1/2 a point)

Atari 2600 - 1
NES - 5.5
Genesis - 3.5
SNES - 3.5
PS1 - 3.5
PS2 - 6
Wii - 1
PS3 - 5.5
Wii U - 2
PS4 - 0.5
GBA - 3
Switch - 2
Arcade - 5
Mobile - 1
PC - 7

So basically I have the most games under PC, but it has been around for decades so that is understandable.  After that I have PS2, NES, PS3, and Arcade, respectively.  The PS2 and NES were extremely dominant platforms, and the Arcade was actually the dominant platform for much of the 80's.  The surprise for me is the PS3.  I suppose I need to consider the PS3 an under rated system.  (And the PS4 is over rated.)  Also I have 3.5 for both SNES and Genesis, which is appropriate.  I have 7 games total for that generation which actually makes it my favorite generation for home consoles.  Although if you count handhelds, then PS2 + GBA would be on top with 9 total.

Overall, I think I have a good appreciation for all of the various gaming generations, and there doesn't seem to be an overabundance of games from one platform or time period.

Around the Network
#1 Heroes of Might and Magic III
guessed by The_Liquid_Laser
platform Windows
release year 1999
developer/publisher New World Computing/3DO
genre turn-based strategy
links Wikipedia
last year #1

As last year my TOP game is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. It just works so well. It has turn-based strategy and turn-based fights on a hex-grid. Outside battles you build your kingdom. It all works together just great.

The good thing about HOMM3 is, that after all these years, I can still pick it up and play it and have fun. It works just as well as on the first day. What do you want more from a timeless classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVeBw3S020E

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hey (yeah, you might have not expected to see this thread back).

I just want to update everyone on my progress with compiling the lists, and when you can expect to see the results thread out. I know sharing detailed information like this kinda takes away from the 'magic' of it, but as I lagged far behind schedule here (blame Smash for that), I feel it's important that everyone understands the current situation. So, we have 66 entrants this year - this is where I'm at right now:
- 29 lists compiled
- 15 lists to compile
- 22 lists missing
(missing people, you might want to explain yourselves. @flashfire926  @Ultrashroomz  @TruckOSaurus  @Kresnik  @super_etecoon  @Chorlin  @Mar1217  @Farsala  @Salnax  @LipeJJ  @StreaK  @Cerebralbore101  @Green098  @COKTOE  @forest-spirit  @Super_Boom  @fory77  @RainbowYoshi  @Symbios63  @hamo0odi90  @gooch_destroyer  @Kjartan  - I know calling you out "publicly" like this can be a little unpleasant, but take it from a guy who's coming here to excuse himself for being late, I think I'm in no place to judge you or anything. I just want your lists!)

As you can see, I've still a long way to go, but I plan on working pretty hard on it this week now that the whole new year's thing (family) is done. I think I can compile all of those 15 lists by saturday or earlier, and from there it'll depend a little on how many more people show up with a finished list. Right now I'm hoping to get the results thread out by January 10th, but don't take my word for it.

So, with that out of the way, I'm gonna get to work. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you guys kept this thread going a little longer - it always saddens me to see people leaving it so early every year... but then again, I can't really ask for people to discuss about something when I've nothing to propose. Oh well.

To complement my previous post, here's some visualizations of my Top 50, including a rare pie chart from me showing publisher shares of the games in my list:

Well, I think it's safe to say I'm a huge fan of Nintendo's games (and for the sake of argument I'm counting Tetris as Nintendo-published, as they had that exclusivity deal back in the NES & Game Boy days for console versions and I only played those versions). Altogether, Nintendo-published games represent 44% of all the games on the list and six of my Top 10. Microsoft Studios and Capcom come in tied at second place with six games a piece, thanks to Halo and Mega Man, my two favorite non-Nintendo franchises. Konami and Square-Enix were the only other third parties to have more than one title in my list (note that two of the three Sega games were from when Sega was first-party). Every other third party only has one game a piece, collectively sharing that grey wedge.

Now to see how everything is distributed over time.

As we can see, my list is weighted towards older games. While nearly half of the games on the list are from this century, most of them are in the back half. Of my Top 25, only four—Perfect Dark, BioShock, Super Mario Galaxy, and Halo: CE—were made this century, while fully 15 of them were just on the NES and SNES. Overall, 22 games in the list were made between 1985 and 1995. There was a lull there in Gens 5 & 6, with only 10 titles represented (four of them on the N64 alone, representing all of the titles in that two-generation span that occupy the Top 25), in keeping with my general attitude that the first decade or so of the "3D Era" of gaming was a dry spell in terms of quality content as developers struggled to make compelling gameplay experiences that utilized the third dimension well (and quite a few of those early 3D titles have aged poorly). Then we have 17 titles represented in the past two generations, all but two of which are in the back half.

So, why is this? Well, I decided to rate a game's position among my all-time favorites through several criteria aside from obvious ones like overall quality and level of enjoyment, namely:

1) Its impact on me as a gamer. Some games were just absolutely mind-blowing to me when I first played them, or were otherwise so insanely fun that they left a permanent impression upon me. Having "seen it all" after 30+ years, newer games rarely have that kind of effect anymore.

2) Its lasting enjoyment. Some games weren't just fun the first time, but have remained fun, having aged very well. The best games from the 8-bit & 16-bit eras have remained incredibly enjoyable, and they never get old. Meanwhile, most games from Gens 5 & 6 haven't aged as well, and some have aged downright poorly, while most games from the last two generations simply aren't old enough to determine if they've aged well.

3) Its replay value. Some games I want to go back and replay on a regular basis. They're games I never get sick of. However, I personally feel that time commitments do factor into a game's replay value. Most modern games are significant time sinks, and because of how long they are, I frequently don't want to go back and replay them even if I did enjoy my time playing them. And even many games that have great gameplay and other good aspects are chock full of busy work, a problem I have with open-world games. In fact, BotW is the only modern open-world game on the list, and I placed it at only #37, because while a superb game in nearly all respects, it's just too damn long, and having 120 of those little shrines instead of a smaller number of proper dungeons (and finding heart pieces the old-fashioned way), felt way too much like busy work. If you look at just my Top 25, most of them can be beaten in maybe one to three sessions, with the longest being Final Fantasy IV. For long games, it takes something very, very special for it have any appreciable replay value. Most games these days have been a "one and done" deal with me.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Speaking of statistics and stuff (by the way, that was some in-depth stuff there), I just want to express my disdain for all of you Super Mario Bros. 3 voters. Seriously, this has to be the most overrated game out there, ever. I'm never going to understand the love for it.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

So, with that out of the way, I'm gonna get to work. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you guys kept this thread going a little longer - it always saddens me to see people leaving it so early every year... but then again, I can't really ask for people to discuss about something when I've nothing to propose. Oh well.

We could now that we finalized our own lists take a peek at the lists of others and make the new years resolution to choose a game and play it this year from a different list which we don't know yet. I wanted to play Neverwinter Nights already the last year, but didn't came around to it, so I should try this year. Also I always only play Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I should also try out other parts in the series, namely 2, which is high on Liquid_Lasers list.

I already played Katamari Damacy in December, which is a great game and qualifies for my next years list. One of the games that don't get old, like Okami.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hopefully Dark Souls will at least reach the top 10 but it is very unlikely from what I have seen. :/

mZuzek said:
Speaking of statistics and stuff (by the way, that was some in-depth stuff there), I just want to express my disdain for all of you Super Mario Bros. 3 voters. Seriously, this has to be the most overrated game out there, ever. I'm never going to understand the love for it.

Haha, you really have it out for SMB3. I'm not sure if it would be in my personal Top 50, but I did play it a lot as a kid, and the controls are so tight. Sometimes I forget that it was an NES game. The single major flaw in my opinion was the inability to save your game. Mario games are short, yeah, but it would have been nice to save my progress now and again, especially given the strong cultural inclination to not leave consoles on back in the day. Nowadays, we leave our consoles on for extended periods of time, but in the 90s I can distinctly remember trying to hide the power indicator lights on my consoles so my mom didn't notice when I left it running.

mZuzek said:

Well, it was before your time (assuming you really are 23). I guess you had to be around to really appreciate it. At the time, SMB3 was the most anticipated game ever. It was the first game to ever have a massive hype machine behind it. It was the "real" sequel to Super Mario Bros., the game that put the NES on the map less than five years prior. While SMB2 was great and was very successful, it just didn't feel like Mario, which as we later found out was due to it being a non-Mario game reskinned as a Mario game (the real SMB2 later being re-released as "The Lost Levels"). SMB3 promised the return of the same core SMB gameplay of the original, but bigger. More enemies, more power-ups (Mario can fly!), more variety in the levels. The level of excitement over this game was huge. In the last two or three months before launch, it was promoted heavily in Nintendo Power, could be played early in the PlayChoice-10 arcade machines (which let you play Nintendo games for a fixed period of time per quarter spent), and was even featured in the climax of the movie The Wizard. And of course it had this ad, which ran in heavy rotation on TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU80R7jGanE

Basically, SMB3 took everything great about the original, added to it, and multiplied it by ten. It was an incredibly fun game, and I think it has aged very well. About the only complaint I have is that you can't replay a level once you've cleared it, but that was something that not many games did back then.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Dr.Vita said:
Hopefully Dark Souls will at least reach the top 10 but it is very unlikely from what I have seen. :/

I don't know what the rankings are looking like at the moment, and I don't think it has a chance at the top 10, no, but Dark Souls does have a pretty good amount of points so far.

Shadow1980 said:
mZuzek said:

Well, it was before your time (assuming you really are 23). I guess you had to be around to really appreciate it. At the time, SMB3 was the most anticipated game ever. It was the first game to ever have a massive hype machine behind it. It was the "real" sequel to Super Mario Bros., the game that put the NES on the map less than five years prior. While SMB2 was great and was very successful, it just didn't feel like Mario, which as we later found out was due to it being a non-Mario game reskinned as a Mario game (the real SMB2 later being re-released as "The Lost Levels"). SMB3 promised the return of the same core SMB gameplay of the original, but bigger. More enemies, more power-ups (Mario can fly!), more variety in the levels. The level of excitement over this game was huge. In the last two or three months before launch, it was promoted heavily in Nintendo Power, could be played early in the PlayChoice-10 arcade machines (which let you play Nintendo games for a fixed period of time per quarter spent), and was even featured in the climax of the movie The Wizard. And of course it had this ad, which ran in heavy rotation on TV:

Basically, SMB3 took everything great about the original, added to it, and multiplied it by ten. It was an incredibly fun game, and I think it has aged very well. About the only complaint I have is that you can't replay a level once you've cleared it, but that was something that not many games did back then.

I do remember playing SMB3 a little as a kid - not sure if I had played more modern games before it at the time or not, but I didn't really care about that. Even as a kid, Mario games never did it for me, but if there was one that clearly stood out it was SMW. I get that people were hyped over SMB3, but the way I see it, it was just a worse version of a game that came very shortly after. Personally, to this day I just don't get what's so fun about SMB3, every time I decide to give it a chance and play it for a while to try to appreciate the masterpiece people say it is, I just don't have any fun at all, or at least not any more fun than I do playing SMB1 (which is, not much). I guess Mario games really just aren't for me, but out of the ones I've played there are some I at least enjoyed (and one I loved, but talking 2017 in this case is a bit beside the point), and I can't say that for SMB3 despite having tried several times to get into it.