By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony president on PS4 successor: “It’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”

Sony president on PS4 successor: “It’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”

Early indications reportedly claim future PlayStation is not a major departure.

Sony president and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida has suggested that the company is planning the release of a next-generation PlayStation.

“At this point, what I can say is it’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware,” Yoshida told Financial Times. He declined to formally name the future console “PlayStation 5.”

Yoshida’s comments were in response to debate over how Sony should address the rising global smartphone games market and the shifting habits of consumers as it readies game studios and the global market for a PlayStation 4 successor.

Financial Times relayed rumors within the industry that Sony might also be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices “as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions.”

The publication also cited “people in the games publishing industry with knowledge of Sony’s plans for a future console” who said early indications were that the next-generation PlayStation might have a similar fundamental architecture to PlayStation 4 and not represent a major departure from the console.

Back in April, several game development sources indicated that a PlayStation 5 would not release until 2020 at the earliest.

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/sony-president-on-ps4-successor-its-necessary-to-have-a-next-generation-hardware

At my rate, I don't see myself buying the new PlayStation less than three years after its release.

Around the Network

Yeah well obviously. But I don't see this releasing next year. 2020 seems like the sweet spot

Thanks captain obvious. He could also point that they won't make a new gen console until there is new gen hardware.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Thanks captain obvious. He could also point that they won't make a new gen console until there is new gen hardware.

Pretty much this. Sony isn't ready to make any major statements about the PS5 yet, but at least it's making headlines.

It's probably not going to much more powerful than the Xbox one X if it wants to stay competitively priced.

Around the Network
think-man said:
It's probably not going to much more powerful than the Xbox one X if it wants to stay competitively priced.

A certain first party developer already mentioned to his environment to have access to dev kits. It will be a modified ryzen apu with navi gpu on 7mm. Gpu alone is around 10TF

There will be 16GB ram available up to 24 (undecided due to ram prices )

Release frame is end of 2019 to 2020.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

think-man said:

Which is why people who think it is coming out in 2019 are out of their minds.  They forget that unless we are going to see incremental upgrades from now on (pro becomes to new low end, PS5 is the new "4k" machine, etc), we need more time to make a sizable jump into a new generation.  Like it or not, the Pro and X extended this generation.

Last edited by Shiken - on 09 October 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

bananaking21 said:
Yeah well obviously. But I don't see this releasing next year. 2020 seems like the sweet spot

I see it being no earlier than holiday 2020 and no later than holiday 2021, with 2020 being the more likely of the two.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

think-man said:

I think the PS5 will at least be x4 as powerful in everything of the XBOX and yet it will be $100 cheaper.

For today's tech, the PS4 already could be selling at $199, but Sony does not want it to because they are still selling a lot consoles (and the profit would be minimal).  Then the PRO would be $299.  and the possible PS5 $399 at most (most probably not having profit at launch).

the PRO just is not a major breakthrough on its own because it is just a PS4 with more stuff (while trying to not be expensive); so considering this; the PS5 will be at its core very similar to the PS4, but the way they will use the memory bandwith, RAM, CPU and GPU will at least be x4 as powerful as the XBOX.

Sony and Mark Cerny wont disappoint

PS4 Pro Pro confirmed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.