By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Reverse Climate Change?

Any change we make will have to have China's cooperation since they produce more co2 emissions than even the US. At this point in time, though, it might just be a good idea to move away from coastlines in the next 20-30 years.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Any change we make will have to have China's cooperation since they produce more co2 emissions than even the US. At this point in time, though, it might just be a good idea to move away from coastlines in the next 20-30 years.

What about making underwater and floating buildings?

CaptainExplosion said:

Especially with how corporations hate clean energy because it'll cost them a fortune. Wouldn't surprise me if they were willing to even commit murder just to keep their agenda going.

Well, in the past, big businesses actually did murder their employees for striking. They may not do that anymore (hiring mercs to violently put down striking employees wouldn't make for good PR in the 21st century), never put it past a legitimate business to simply turn a blind eye to the harm they cause.

Tobacco companies (basically just legalized drug dealers) sell a product that's been known for decades to highly addictive and extremely harmful, because there's money to be made and people willing and able to buy their products. In fact, they fought to suppress scientific evidence showing the effects of smoking and any attempts to educate the public and reduce smoking rates. While tetraethyllead was initially put into gasoline in good faith because it was a good anti-knock agent, gasoline manufacturers turned a blind to and actively tried to suppress evidence that man-made environmental lead compounds were having a harmful effect. Same for CFCs manufacturers; they weren't aware that Freon and aerosol propellants were harmful when they started using them, but switching away from them would hurt their bottom line and they fought back against scientists that revealed their products were degrading the ozone layer. Fossil fuel companies were, at least back during the early decades of the Industrial Revolution, unaware that burning oil, oil byproducts, coal, and natural gas causes global warming by increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, but they do know now and have known for several decades, yet instead of adjust their business to correct for it they've mounted massive PR campaigns designed to dismiss the science as a hoax. And in every case, there were politicians sympathetic to the businesses (often because of receiving campaign contributions from them) that went along with it.

It's not that they're being actively malicious. In fact, as mentioned on a couple of occasions they weren't aware of the harm their products caused until after the fact. It's simply that they're callous and indifferent towards the death and misery they are responsible for. A negative externality costs money to fix, and that hurts the bottom line. And delivering a profit to the shareholders is paramount. As far as they're concerned, they have no further responsibilities past making money. And anything that gets in their way of that goal will be fought tooth and nail. They will deny, delay, and obstruct for as long as they can. But eventually they'll relent. Lead compounds were eventually banned from use in gasoline. CFCs were banned. Smoking remained legal but tobacco companies had to accept mandatory labels warning of the harms of tobacco, and restrictions on advertising. While the fight to pass the necessary reforms to combat climate change will take longer and will be resisted far harder than the other examples (because overhauling an entire energy economy is more involved and expensive than adding labels or changing an ingredient), something will have to give. Gasoline-powered passenger vehicles will have to give way to EVs and cars powered by fuels that don't emit CO2. Coal and natural gas will have to give way to cleaner methods of electricity production like wind, solar, and (possibly) nuclear. Let's hope that when we actually do what needs to be done, it isn't too late.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

CaptainExplosion said:

I know it's probably just a dream at this point, especially with idiotic decisions by, ahem, a certain Western superpower since 2016, but it's still a nice thought to have.

Are there ways, any at all, to reverse climate change? Would it help if we planted new forests, reduced our garbage output, used more renewable energy sources, invested further into water bottles and re-hydration stations, etc?

I try my hardest to help out, I'm even trying to use lights that are more energy efficient. What else can we do?

• Geothermal

• Stop eating farmed meat and wild caught fish from depleting systems (mainly large fresh water lakes, oceans, seas)

• Solar panels

• Invest in wind turbines

• Don’t buy non-recyclable plastics

• Don’t purchase products from China, the US, the Brazil, and other nations who are not committed to ending climate change.

• If your space allows, plant gardens that allow for small ecosystems.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Can we fix/stop/modify any of this?

Around the Network

Depends if China gets on board, but that's highly unlikely because their rapidly expanding their coal fired power stations to somewhere in the area of generating 1200 gigawatts.
Country Fossil fuel CO2 emissions (kt) in 2016[11]

China 10,432,751
United States 5,011,687
India 2,533,638
Russia 1,661,899
Japan 1,239,592
Germany 775,752
Canada 675,919
Iran 642,560
South Korea 604,044
Indonesia 530,036
And this is 2016. Who know how much higher they are now. What this chart does expose is, no country can complete with China in manufacturing price.

Jumpin said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I know it's probably just a dream at this point, especially with idiotic decisions by, ahem, a certain Western superpower since 2016, but it's still a nice thought to have.

Are there ways, any at all, to reverse climate change? Would it help if we planted new forests, reduced our garbage output, used more renewable energy sources, invested further into water bottles and re-hydration stations, etc?

I try my hardest to help out, I'm even trying to use lights that are more energy efficient. What else can we do?

• Geothermal

• Stop eating farmed meat and wild caught fish from depleting systems (mainly large fresh water lakes, oceans, seas)

• Solar panels

• Invest in wind turbines

• Don’t buy non-recyclable plastics

• Don’t purchase products from China, the US, the Brazil, and other nations who are not committed to ending climate change.

• If your space allows, plant gardens that allow for small ecosystems.

I've bolded the ones I have done, and there is a solar farm on my road. My aunt gave us a little pine tree that we're planting in spring, and a little tree with it that I don't recognize. By invest in wind turbines do you mean invest in turbine companies, or set a turbine up at home?