By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘Rape Culture’ Is A MYTH | Change My Mind

Fox News (sic) said it was a myth. Turned out to be alive and well in their own building.
What are the odds?

Around the Network
OhNoYouDont said:
The rape metric was something like 1 in 1000, which is true but there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. According to RAINN, 1 in 6 American women have been the victim of attempted or completed rape with 14.8% completed ~1 in 7 women. Sounds a lot worse than 1 in 1000 doesn't it?

Hmm, that are disagreeing empirical data, but as in most of these cases it is basically methodology and definitions are actually creating the differences. I think the main point here is for starters the definition of rape. Also what consists of 'rape culture'. The last one basically means if society or a part of it is accepting or tolerating rape. Which is again a question of definition. What consists of accepting it. Because I'm pretty sure the actual crime is not accepted by basically everyone, but if it is asked to remove micro-aggressions from language, a lot of people will disagree and may now be categorized as accepting rape. So these explains the difference in stances.

Basically if the sides would communicate properly, there would be not much discussion, I see practically everyone agreeing over the basic stuff here, the differences are stemming from definitions and exxaggerations on both sides of discussion. Add in, that Twitter and Facebook love extreme positions more than moderate ones (meaning the extremes get more retweets, likes and so on) the polarisation of basically agreeing people is even increased. So in my opinion the whole discussion is more or less pointless and takes attention away from problems.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ruior said:
I have seen some of his videos on this series.
I thought he had a flexible thinking to put things on change my mind terms.
But has he ever changed his mind?

You dont need to change it when you're right. Just happens that he's been right on these issues.

To ignore just how prevalent behaviour that encourages or justifies rape is in American society you have to be ignorant, cruel or both.
As such, this guy is talking shit and isn't worth watching. - CHANGE MY MIND

Tulipanzo said:
To ignore just how prevalent behaviour that encourages or justifies rape is in American society you have to be ignorant, cruel or both.

Yeah mate it's just like in Saudi Arabia. Amen 

Around the Network
Tulipanzo said:

Well, as I think both viewpoints are valid, I see no need to change either yours or Steven Crowders mind.

CHANGE MY MIND

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Tulipanzo said:

What behavior are you referring to here?

All I can say is thank God I don't live in the USA. Sometimes I think Europe is the most ridicilous place on earth, but I only have to look to the West and see that a single country can contain so much more BS.

Believing in the principle that someone is innocent until proven otherwise from any given crime is hardly supporting rape. Perhaps this is an American thing or something exclusive too religious nutjobs. But I never heard a girl was asking to be raped or was willingly doing so.

Abortion rules are backwards in most places so I can give the people who say there is a rape culture that, although that's more of an ethnic discussion of which rights unborn childs have.

As for most stats, many are presumptions based on the number of filed and unfiled claims, problem is the latter is pretty hard to estimate. It could be 1 in 2 women for all we know, it could also be in 7. As for male rapes that number is even harder to estimate.

Now undeniably rape is a very big offense and probably one of the worst crimes. But to say we live in a pro rape culture is a big overstatement. We live in a society that struggles with rape. Just like it struggles with drugs, theft, cybercrime, piracy and violence. Just because we struggle with those issues does not mean a society is pro any of those. 

Last edited by Qwark - on 05 October 2018

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

IMO crowder is a horrible person who tries to act civilized but says venomous and false things to anger those who try to debate him making him look like the God of arguments

Oh, I remember this guy now. He challenged Potholer54 to a debate (something to do with climate science) and chickened out at the last minute. Not the sort of thing a man does when he’s open to having his mind changed. If someone had approached him with a wealth of verifiable evidence and a rational argument, I doubt that he posseses the integrity or character to even include it in this video.