By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘Rape Culture’ Is A MYTH | Change My Mind

o_O.Q said:
sundin13 said:

1) First of all, I believe my only real comment on rape culture in this thread was to say that the idea is meaningless and subjective. You seem to be making an assumption about me here, which is not supported by the comments made in this thread.

But I'll treat that as a question and answer it for you, with a resounding, "kinda".

I don't believe that rape, with a hard "r" is normalized. I think at times it may be swept under the rug to avoid inconvenient truths, but there is a reason authors say that rape (hard "r") is the one crime which makes a character permanently evil. You cannot write a sympathetic rapist, or at least so says conventional wisdom.

But "rape" goes far beyond the "man grabs a woman in an alley and rapes her with a knife to her neck". It also means "man buys woman shots until she gets drunk enough to stop saying no", or "man has sex with woman who says no but doesnt act the way he thinks she would if she truly meant it". I think these definitions are where a lot of the issue here comes in. Is it normalized to try to liquor a girl up to get in her pants? 100%. Is it normalized to display sexual dominance when a woman has a moment of doubt? 100%.

2) Again, I don't think you can say that men are more at risk of rape, when in general the risk of rape for is very low except for one extremely high risk population. You can't really use an outlier to make conclusions about the whole group. Especially when the data shows that if you look within even these groups, women are still more at risk than men.

To make a comparison, if you took a neighborhood with 9 people making $10k and 1 person making $1million, you would have 90% of your population under the poverty line, but because of your outlier, your average earnings are about $100,000. Would it be accurate to say that the average person here is upper-middle class? No, an average person in this neighborhood is below the poverty line. Basically, using strict averages becomes significantly less effective when you have a data source with a massive outlier such as this. Generally, in case like this, utilizing a median would be more effective. To quote a website discussing when to use mean vs median:

"Whenever a graph falls on a normal distribution, using the mean is a good choice. But if your data has extreme scores (such as the difference between a millionaire and someone making 30,000 a year), you will need to look at median, because you’ll find a much more representative number for your sample."

In your general NCVS population, it is generally considered that about 10% of victims are male. This makes a prevalence of about 0.2 in 1000 by my math. This means that in prison populations, sexual victimization is about 500 times more prevalent than in the general population. Because of this, you get incredibly skewed data because of an outlier high risk population.

1) "Is it normalized to try to liquor a girl up to get in her pants? 100%. Is it normalized to display sexual dominance when a woman has a moment of doubt? 100%."

so what is your point here? to prohibit men from buying drinks for women? and to stop men from begging women for sex?

the first one can be done,,, but you'll never accomplish that second one

2) " when in general the risk of rape for is very low except for one extremely high risk population. "

anyone can become a member of that population at any time, but that's irrelevant anyway since to reiterate more men are raped than women

i understand your point but it does not contradict mine and come on dude those men matter why are you trying to minimize their pain and suffering like this?

3) "You can't really use an outlier to make conclusions about the whole group."

rape victims are outliers lol, are you being serious right now?

how is the cognitive dissonance not tearing you in two?

if i can't make the point that the men suffering in prison matter when we talk about rape victims since they are outliers then how can you build an argument about the culture of a society when the same applies to rape victims?

4) "To make a comparison"

i'd still assume that a line of best fit would still show men as being the primary victims of rape... if i'm wrong then do the graph and show me

5) "In your general NCVS population, it is generally considered that about 10% of victims are male. This makes a prevalence of about 0.2 in 1000 by my math. This means that in prison populations, sexual victimization is about 500 times more prevalent than in the general population."

what about the reliable feminist statistics that claim that 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 women are raped?

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/20/health/global-violence-women/index.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sexual-assault-women-one-five-rape-harassment-figures-report-a8201476.html

1) ...My point is that people should stop raping other people. I don't really think that is very radical, although I must note that you statement sounds a lot like "normalizing rape"...

2) I don't really think the physical possibility of joining a population negates the fact that the population is a statistical outlier...

Also, you seem to keep ignoring women when speaking about prison rape. You keep saying "these men" or acting like prison rape statistics are 100% male. They aren't.

3) When I speak of "outliers" I am speaking of outlier populations. You seem to be conflating this with "outlier individuals". They are not the same thing.

4) Why would you ever decide to use a best fit line in this scenario? That holds all the same flaws as the mean. There is not really any reason to use this method of determination (and besides, it would be virtually impossible to construct such a graph). Besides, if you were to plot by prevalence and not population size, women would be more at risk when comparing between virtually every like-population, including prison populations... This has already been demonstrated.

5) ...That reads to me like a non sequitur. I don't know how you want me to respond, especially when I've already addressed those statistics in this thread.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
Pemalite said:

And you managed to glean all of that from a simple question?

ok i'll ask again why did you bring up that men are primarily the aggressor when it comes to rape when it was not at all relevant?

what motive did you have for doing so?

you've seen my assumption, if i'm wrong then correct me

Well. People were already engaged in gender debates... Arguing about whether men or women were the bigger victims in various scenarios and brought in Prison statistics to assert that men were the largest victim demographics.
I merely asked a question that regardless of what gender the victims were, the perpetrators are still men, right?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

"no, men are most certainly not raped at a higher rate than women."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449454/More-men-raped-US-women-including-prison-sexual-abuse.html

its possible that in recent years the stats have gone the other way but i'm pretty sure that even if that's the case its still pretty darn close

Your article fails.

The prison rape figure is actually 69,800.  The 216,000 figure is sexual assaults (including the 69,800 rapes) and it includes women.

Key tip, never use the Daily Mail as a source.  They never link back to their data and are a known tabloid.

Here, look up your data from the actual source.
https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=20

you haven't posted anything here that i was unaware of

have you taken into consideration that the ratio of men to women in prison is 90% to 10%? do the math and get back to me

sundin13 said:
o_O.Q said:

1) "Is it normalized to try to liquor a girl up to get in her pants? 100%. Is it normalized to display sexual dominance when a woman has a moment of doubt? 100%."

so what is your point here? to prohibit men from buying drinks for women? and to stop men from begging women for sex?

the first one can be done,,, but you'll never accomplish that second one

2) " when in general the risk of rape for is very low except for one extremely high risk population. "

anyone can become a member of that population at any time, but that's irrelevant anyway since to reiterate more men are raped than women

i understand your point but it does not contradict mine and come on dude those men matter why are you trying to minimize their pain and suffering like this?

3) "You can't really use an outlier to make conclusions about the whole group."

rape victims are outliers lol, are you being serious right now?

how is the cognitive dissonance not tearing you in two?

if i can't make the point that the men suffering in prison matter when we talk about rape victims since they are outliers then how can you build an argument about the culture of a society when the same applies to rape victims?

4) "To make a comparison"

i'd still assume that a line of best fit would still show men as being the primary victims of rape... if i'm wrong then do the graph and show me

5) "In your general NCVS population, it is generally considered that about 10% of victims are male. This makes a prevalence of about 0.2 in 1000 by my math. This means that in prison populations, sexual victimization is about 500 times more prevalent than in the general population."

what about the reliable feminist statistics that claim that 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 women are raped?

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/20/health/global-violence-women/index.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sexual-assault-women-one-five-rape-harassment-figures-report-a8201476.html

1) ...My point is that people should stop raping other people. I don't really think that is very radical, although I must note that you statement sounds a lot like "normalizing rape"...

2) I don't really think the physical possibility of joining a population negates the fact that the population is a statistical outlier...

Also, you seem to keep ignoring women when speaking about prison rape. You keep saying "these men" or acting like prison rape statistics are 100% male. They aren't.

3) When I speak of "outliers" I am speaking of outlier populations. You seem to be conflating this with "outlier individuals". They are not the same thing.

4) Why would you ever decide to use a best fit line in this scenario? That holds all the same flaws as the mean. There is not really any reason to use this method of determination (and besides, it would be virtually impossible to construct such a graph). Besides, if you were to plot by prevalence and not population size, women would be more at risk when comparing between virtually every like-population, including prison populations... This has already been demonstrated.

5) ...That reads to me like a non sequitur. I don't know how you want me to respond, especially when I've already addressed those statistics in this thread.

"My point is that people should stop raping other people"

true, but that's not going to happen unless you have some type of solution to offer?

"Also, you seem to keep ignoring women when speaking about prison rape. You keep saying "these men" or acting like prison rape statistics are 100% male. They aren't."

i did because you were dismissing them as people that matter and i find that disgusting

"When I speak of "outliers" I am speaking of outlier populations. You seem to be conflating this with "outlier individuals"."

my point still stands, you are using an aberration to make assessments of the whole that it branches from in the case of "rape culture" and refusing to be consistent when it comes to the rape of men in prisons

you can't say well the prison population is an outlier so we can't use that to make assessments of the wider culture then at the same time turn around and say well rape is abnormal but regardless i'm still going to take it and use it to assess the wider society

mentally ill people are outlier individuals, can i now take them and use them to assess the sanity of the wider society according to your logic?

"and besides, it would be virtually impossible to construct such a graph"

how do you know? you haven't tried, if you have send me a screen capture of the axes

" ...That reads to me like a non sequitur."

my point was that you are asserting that prison rape is much more common than in the wider society, but according to feminist statistics that is not the case

o_O.Q said:

1) "My point is that people should stop raping other people"

true, but that's not going to happen unless you have some type of solution to offer?

2) "Also, you seem to keep ignoring women when speaking about prison rape. You keep saying "these men" or acting like prison rape statistics are 100% male. They aren't."

i did because you were dismissing them as people that matter and i find that disgusting

3) "When I speak of "outliers" I am speaking of outlier populations. You seem to be conflating this with "outlier individuals"."

my point still stands, you are using an aberration to make assessments of the whole that it branches from in the case of "rape culture" and refusing to be consistent when it comes to the rape of men in prisons

you can't say well the prison population is an outlier so we can't use that to make assessments of the wider culture then at the same time turn around and say well rape is abnormal but regardless i'm still going to take it and use it to assess the wider society

mentally ill people are outlier individuals, can i now take them and use them to assess the sanity of the wider society according to your logic?

4) "and besides, it would be virtually impossible to construct such a graph"

how do you know? you haven't tried, if you have send me a screen capture of the axes

5) " ...That reads to me like a non sequitur."

my point was that you are asserting that prison rape is much more common than in the wider society, but according to feminist statistics that is not the case

1) That isn't what this discussion about.

2) ...What? You ignored women because you thought I was dismissing them? That is nonsense for so many reasons.

3) This argument seems to entirely be based around the idea that I support the idea of rape culture. Which I don't. That makes this a little bizarre, because I don't know what I am supposed to be arguing here. I don't believe one rapist or one victim is indicative of the entire culture, and that is not what I am doing and it is not what I have done, so how is that any form of argument here? You have failed to support your point so you seem to have shifted to just stuffing words into my mouth and arguing that instead. I will not defend a position I don't hold (I feel like this isn't the first time I've said this to you).

4) ...The fuck? Tell me, where would I obtain reliable and consistent statistics relating to the rate of rape for every "population" within the United States? Depending on how these numbers are broken down, that may mean one data point for every college, every prison, every town or city or county or district, etc (or maybe prisons as a whole, colleges as a whole, then cities divided by class and then towns divided by class? Regardless, the data does not exist).. The data simply doesn't exist, but what data does exist suggests that you are wrong, and further, this is an absolutely ridiculous point in the first place. "Make me an impossible graph or I wont believe you"? Bullshit, man.

5) But they don't?

Around the Network

I love the argument of the fetus leeching the energy of the mother and then it being valid to abort...
So a relative since he have to work a lot, giving much more stress to his body over 18 years (or more) to support the child than a 9 months pregnancy can also decide the kid should die because the relative doesn't want to be leached anymore?

Another one I love is equating drunk sex with rape... as if both being drunk and having sex translate to female victim and male rapist, like she wasn't conscious enough to agree, but he suddenly was to be criminalized.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
  1. I love the argument of the fetus leeching the energy of the mother and then it being valid to abort...
So a relative since he have to work a lot, giving much more stress to his body over 18 years (or more) to support the child than a 9 months pregnancy can also decide the kid should die because the relative doesn't want to be leached anymore?

• Another one I love is equating drunk sex with rape... as if both being drunk and having sex translate to female victim and male rapist, like she wasn't conscious enough to agree, but he suddenly was to be criminalized.

1. Yeah I did not get that one either especially since there are a million way to prevent any woman from getting a Child. 

2. You kind a have to too get to the 1 in 5 figure, hell a girl was druk an had sex with a guy and regrets it afterwards probably happened to way more girls. But if that's the main issue, than alcoholism seems to be the prior source of rape, not some presumed society who supports rape.

3. In the end both cases are about people who refuses to take rensponsibility for their damn actions. If you get so drunk you can't really react to anything (you can say no to free drink its a two letter word for fuck sake) and have sex with someone and later regret it, I would not call it rape. I would call it being very stupid and because of that you have been taken advantage off, sucks for you but I would not lable it as rape.

Same for abortion, getting pregnant by accident is pretty impressive these days to begin with, but for the sake of argument lets say you are that 1 or 2% of people that got pregnant while using condoms or/and the pill etc. You still got 20 weeks to legaly abort your foetus. If you don't act within that time than bitching about it has little to nothing to do with freedom, but more with the right to being neglectful without concequence, the world doesn't and will never work like that. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
DonFerrari said:
  1. I love the argument of the fetus leeching the energy of the mother and then it being valid to abort...

• Another one I love is equating drunk sex with rape... as if both being drunk and having sex translate to female victim and male rapist, like she wasn't conscious enough to agree, but he suddenly was to be criminalized.

1. Yeah I did not get that one either especially since there are a million way to prevent any woman from getting a Child. 

2. You kind a have to too get to the 1 in 5 figure, hell a girl was druk an had sex with a guy and regrets it afterwards probably happened to way more girls. But if that's the main issue, than alcoholism seems to be the prior source of rape, not some presumed society who supports rape.

3. In the end both cases are about people who refuses to take rensponsibility for their damn actions. If you get so drunk you can't really react to anything (you can say no to free drink its a two letter word for fuck sake) and have sex with someone and later regret it, I would not call it rape. I would call it being very stupid and because of that you have been taken advantage off, sucks for you but I would not lable it as rape.

Same for abortion, getting pregnant by accident is pretty impressive these days to begin with, but for the sake of argument lets say you are that 1 or 2% of people that got pregnant while using condoms or/and the pill etc. You still got 20 weeks to legaly abort your foetus. If you don't act within that time than bitching about it has little to nothing to do with freedom, but more with the right to being neglectful without concequence, the world doesn't and will never work like that. 

1 - And pregnancy not being a disease nor threatening anyone's life to equate the fetus to a leech or equate not donating your kidney.

2 - I guess women would generally feel more regret over dumb actions than men, but I have seem people in VGC trying to put even when both are equally drunk the girl was rapped.

3 - I wouldn't get drunk in a place or with people I don't trust.

About abortion, I'm totally against (but wouldn't forbid through government coercion). When I think about accidental pregnancy I can only imagine someone walking and slipping in a skate, unfortunately landing on a men lap and immediate pregnancy. Like it can't be accident when the sole outcome of sex can only be pregnancy. So doesn't matter how many precautions you take, you must be willing to accept the consequences. You can't abort AIDS, but people want a world as free of consequence as possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

you haven't posted anything here that i was unaware of

have you taken into consideration that the ratio of men to women in prison is 90% to 10%? do the math and get back to me

OK, let's do the math.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics (PDF), there were a total of 20,500 victims of inmate-on-inmate rape in 2011.  This is described as, "unwanted contacts with another inmate that involved oral, anal, vaginal penetration, hand jobs, and other sexual acts." That includes women.  So if we use your 10% female figure, you get 18,450 male victims in prison and jail.

That puts my verifiable data at 18,450 male rapes in prison/jail compared to 90,000 female rapes outside of prison/jail.

I have the statistics, I have the sources, I have the math.  What do you have?

Speaking of math, have we figured out the percentage of Reddit threads that are made up by the one thread mentioned in number 18?

DonFerrari said:
I love the argument of the fetus leeching the energy of the mother and then it being valid to abort..

Correct. The Fetus should not have rights that override the owners body.
Just like I have zero rights over your body, fetus should be treated the same, not as an exception.

DonFerrari said:

Uh. Not sure what you are trying to portray here...

But the difference between a child and a fetus is simple.
A child does not survive and grow at the expense of someone else.
A fetus is more than welcomed to do the same, but generally can not.

DonFerrari said:

About abortion, I'm totally against (but wouldn't forbid through government coercion). When I think about accidental pregnancy I can only imagine someone walking and slipping in a skate, unfortunately landing on a men lap and immediate pregnancy. Like it can't be accident when the sole outcome of sex can only be pregnancy. So doesn't matter how many precautions you take, you must be willing to accept the consequences.

There are a ton of reasons why you may need to abort a pregnancy, no they won't be all accidental.
Sometimes mental health comes into play.
Sometimes precautions fail. (Condoms aren't 100%).
Sometimes the pill doesn't work.
Sometimes the individual was under the influence and couldn't make an appropriate decision.
Sometimes domestic violence comes into play.
Sometimes religion comes into it.

The individuals financial position may have changed, meaning they can't afford to live in a home or buy food, let alone support an infant.

Judge not.

DonFerrari said:

You can't abort AIDS, but people want a world as free of consequence as possible.

Equating AIDS which has killed and continues to kill is extremely disingenuous.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--