By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avatar: the Last Airbender Thread - Netflix Remake out now!

Team Avatar: Did it catch on?

Yay 19 79.17%

Nay 5 20.83%

Total:24
HandofPrometheus said:

I love it. Azula and Katara are my favorites, mainly Azula though. I hate Aang though. Don't really have a favorite season. I'm glad I caught this show when it was airing for the first time. Definitely played a role in my childhood.

I watched Korra and really liked it. Season 2 was trash but the other three were good. Korra needed more episodes each season. The 12 or 13 episodes wasn't doing it any favors. ATLA felt more fleshed out because they had so much time to flesh it out. Korra didn't have the chance really. I also think people are way too harsh on Korra. It had flaws but man people nitpicked the hell out this show. Some people were just plain sexist about it too. Just becuase Korra was a female some people claimed the show was highly feminist which I never got any vibes from. I guess people can't stand female main characters.

ATLA is definitely one of the best Western cartoons. 

I agree with you on Korra. Since it was the sequel series to the original, it was going to be viewed under a tense microscope and anytime it did something it would always be compared to the ATLA first and foremost.  And in a number of instances that would be unfair to Korra because it tries to go for its own direction on things while trying to stay true to the characters and the world. For the most part, I thought it did it’s job very well. Like I said before, it was still pretty good despite its flaws.

Around the Network

Just bought the entire series on Blu Ray. Oh boy, oh boy!!

Just finished watching the entire series on Bluray.

It has aged like fine wine. I think I enjoyed more as an adult than I did as a kid, because I can understand some of the themes, messages, and characters on a higher level. (Some of Iroh's wisdom actually makes sense to me now!)

I got it for $30 plus tax at Best Buy. For those of you who are looking for something to buy on Bluray for yourself to enjoy or if you have kids and you want something you can all watch and enjoy together: Get Avatar: the Last Airbender!!

Final Boss/Battle music done oh so right!

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 12 August 2020

BUMP

Now that Imbalace Part 3 just came out a few days ago and have been reading that. Does anybody read the comics that take place after the show?

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
BUMP

Now that Imbalace Part 3 just came out a few days ago and have been reading that. Does anybody read the comics that take place after the show?

If you like the comics, I highly recommend you pick up the Library Editions.  The art really pops in the oversized hardcover format, and the price is quite reasonable.

So has anyone been able to rewatch this show or watch it for the first time since it debuted on Netflix?
Just rewatched again and... Yep, still the greatest show I've ever seen.

And I plan to do the same when Legend of Korra hits Netflix this Friday!

Overselling it a bit, but it's a great show. Didn't like Korra as much though.

I defiantly enjoyed the showed and think it was extremely well done but it look like I am going to be in the minority here and I actually enjoy legend of korra more. I would defiantly re-watch Legend of Korra before I would re-watch Avatar: the Last Airbender. That being said when I watched both shows I was well into adult hood already and my feeling might of been different if I had watched them for first time as a child.

I just found the world building and obstacles the Avatar had to go through more interesting in Korra. While I know many going to feel the exact opposite for me personally Korra was also a lot less annoying then Aang.

That being said The last avatar is still very high on my list of best children shows.

Avatar: The Last Airbender always comes to mind when I think of what my favorite show is. That title goes to Breaking Bad, but Avatar definitely deserves a place in the conversation. I think it is absolutely brilliant. It is funny, charming, exciting, intelligent, engaging, and doesn't talk down to children. I first watched it in college and I loved it, and then I rewatched it again years later with my then boyfriend because he had never seen it and I still loved it an so did he. I have not watched it again since it premiered on Netflix but I don't think a third rewatch would cause me to suddenly change my mind about the quality of the show.